WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
As has been repeated quite a few times now, greater than 1GB of RAM for a Kodi Android/OpenELEC media player would come down the list of priorities. The GPU/VPU combo is very important, especially if you want to Hardware decode 4K / 1080p demanding video codecs, such as HEVC and get high quality Hardware deinterlacing from the VPU (Visual Processing Unit).

A powerful GPU/VPU running at a decent GHz, fast DDR3 RAM, a 2Ghz Quad Core CPU with large L2 caches are what you should be looking for. (This is why I'm actually a bit disappointed with the new RPi3's hardware tech specs)

I've run an AMLogic S805 GPU in Mali(450) Turbo (Overclocked) mode now for 6 months on an Odroid C1(+) and it makes a big difference to Kodi GUI operational speed when using OpenELEC, its pretty snappy. RPi2 owners would be very aware of the OE Kodi performance gain once you Overclock and increase the CPU/GPU and SDRAM speeds.

WeTek Hub vs Core:

As already mentioned the Core has a S/PDIF Optical and A/V port that is missing from the Hub, one more usb2 port as well.

Now has anyone spotted the tiny Elephant in the room yet, one that eats cheese ? Eek
I'm talking about the excellent, super responsive, RF/IR Wireless Air Mouse that the Core comes packaged with. I'm not sure how Hub and Play2 users are going to go navigating about various Android Tablet Apps like a Web Browser with just an D-Pad IR remote control.

WeTek how do you plan to address this, what do you have up your sleeve ?

Also worth mentioning is the GPU/VPU combo in the Core's AML S812-H (8 Core) is actually more powerful than the S905-H (5 Core) in the Hub. In reality there is not much between the two so far as Android Kodi speed is concerned. The Android Kodi GUI on the S905-H is a little bit smoother.
The optimised Android Lollipop OS now works well when running quality Firmware on ARM devices, decreasing the performance gain gap compared to running a Linux OS such as OpenELEC.

If you were playing 3D games, then the older S812-H is the one to go for over the S905-H, CNX-Software have an interesting comparison chart HERE

10-bit 4K HEVC decoding at up to 60Hz means points scored for the Hub. Faster eMMC Flash Storage as well. Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: WeTek's ** New ** AMLogic Mediaplayers - 2016 - CabSat - Dubai - by wrxtasy - 2016-03-10, 04:34
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11