• 6(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
(2016-03-10, 20:45)Jönke Wrote: Dual dvb s2 tuner @droidelec Huh

Same question but for DVB-C Wink
(2016-03-11, 05:17)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-03-11, 03:55)dWooluf Wrote: Looking at the Play 2S. Does this mean that some random deaf bastard (me) can plug a pair of headphones into the remote and listen that way while the rest of the family listens to the speakers? Any idea what the latency is like?

I think only one audio device will work at a time. I've only seen the remote at the WeTek office and wasn't able to test it out myself, but other Android devices that have a similar thing (Fire TV, Shield) only use one at a time. That is, headphones or TV audio.

Thanks Ned. Thought it might be something like that. You'd need a low-latency codec too. Anyway, until it's confirmed one way or the other there's always room for hope. It would be a killer feature for me.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
* MrMC has spies ^^ everywhere Smile
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
From a Wily Old Fox / Weasel with disturbingly spooky eyes, I'm not surprised !!! Wink

It's "Kylie Sven Opossum" isn't it? Wink
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2016-03-11, 02:30)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-03-10, 15:22)ianuk2005 Wrote: The lack of ram on the fire stick makes a huge difference, by the time kodi's booted mine has less than 100mb, this isn't enough to display the EPG or playback live tv smoothly. It also runs out of RAM and force closes even displaying a relatively small library.

1GB just isn't enough for a lot of users who have large librarys. My main x86 box with openelec and 2GB ram even runs out regularly when trying to scroll through my movie library which is around 1500. Kodi just doesn't handle displaying a large library of posters well enough it seems to retain everything you scroll through in memory and doesn't release it when resources get too low. Instead it just crashes.

The only reason i've stayed away from wetek boxes is the lack of RAM, I would love the new s2 but i'm still unsure as only having a 2GB option is still lacking when you compare it to your upgrade options on x86 hardware.

It might not matter for the majority of users but RAM makes a huge difference as you scale up and the more options they include for it the more users they will get.

The Fire TV stick does not have 1GB of RAM. It only has 512MB of RAM. I have never had Kodi crash due to running out of RAM on a 1GB box. It really shouldn't happen even with 512, either. The Fire TV stick also uses Fire OS, which for all I know uses more RAM than other Android versions, especially official Androis TV devices.

Yes, it is possible for people with huge libraries and large fanart will see smoother scrolling with more RAM. People will also see smoother scrolling with a faster CPU. I'm not talking about edge cases or "would be nice" cases. I'm sure an i7 will render raindrop ripples on the Kodi home screen much better than any ARM chip, but saying Kodi requires that is nonsense.

If someone needs a more demanding machine then they should buy one. One size will never fit all. They sell a box with 1GB of RAM, but there's also an upgraded version with 2GB of RAM. Live TV is likely the biggest use case for more RAM. Users needing more performance than that should look to the top-of-the-line Shield TV or the x86 platform options. Still, that is different than saying something absurd like "Kodi needs 2GB or more RAM". That is factually incorrect.

EDIT: I don't mean to be a hard-ass on this. Sorry if this is coming off too strong. It's a fair debate point, and all in good fun Smile

Of course i'm not saying Kodi requires more than 1GB to run, my point is that it can and will go past 1GB or even 2GB depending on the scale of peoples libraries and what functionality they use. This unfortunately results in crashing normally on linux and android.

Options to have more RAM would be nice on what is otherwise a perfect all in one Kodi DVR.

(2016-03-11, 02:34)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-03-10, 16:10)ianuk2005 Wrote: I'd be happy to do the maintanence if this can make a difference as now even my nvidia shield tv is starting to struggle scrolling through the library of posters as it eats up RAM for fun.

A Shield TV should not have any issues with scrolling 2,000 or 5,000 or even 10,000 posters in Kodi. I think there is a larger issue going on here.

I agree it should not, Kodi doesn't seem to use any pooling for the memory and allocates space for every single poster/fanart. This doesn't get deallocated once it's off screen, when memory get's low or even when you exit the menu entirely. This is purely speculation as i've never gone through the code but it's the likely explanation as RAM usage goes up per poster scrolled and never reduces.

I'd put it down to a weird edge case but it happens on all my devices across different OS's and they all use the official release builds. It would be nice if someone with knowledge of the codebase could chime in and clear up what might be causing the issue.
(2016-03-11, 06:57)dWooluf Wrote:
(2016-03-11, 05:17)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-03-11, 03:55)dWooluf Wrote: Looking at the Play 2S. Does this mean that some random deaf bastard (me) can plug a pair of headphones into the remote and listen that way while the rest of the family listens to the speakers? Any idea what the latency is like?

I think only one audio device will work at a time. I've only seen the remote at the WeTek office and wasn't able to test it out myself, but other Android devices that have a similar thing (Fire TV, Shield) only use one at a time. That is, headphones or TV audio.

Thanks Ned. Thought it might be something like that. You'd need a low-latency codec too. Anyway, until it's confirmed one way or the other there's always room for hope. It would be a killer feature for me.

On shield TV it's a case of you can use the headphones or the tv speakers. It just acts as standard bluetooth headphones, I don't know if that is a limitation of android. It would be nice to have the option to use both at the same time but I suspect they may just do the same as the shield tv.
This looks interesting. I am looking at replacing my aging Asrock ION box, which is on its last supported OE build. Ideally using a nicer interface for Netflix and Youtube is attractive to me, and using Android should accomplish this. I still wish to use Kodi for Genesis, playing off NAS storage, and Live TV.

Would HDR be supported on these boxes? I noticed that this has base support in Android TV as of 5.1.1, but wasn't sure if there was any hardware requirements to meet this.

Will I be able to buy these device from a local supplier? I live in Australia.

My ideal box would also include APK's for couchpotato, SB, SAb, transmission etc... but maybe I am dreaming here Smile
(2016-03-12, 13:29)stream78m Wrote: This looks interesting. I am looking at replacing my aging Asrock ION box, which is on its last supported OE build. Ideally using a nicer interface for Netflix and Youtube is attractive to me, and using Android should accomplish this. I still wish to use Kodi for Genesis, playing off NAS storage, and Live TV.

Would HDR be supported on these boxes? I noticed that this has base support in Android TV as of 5.1.1, but wasn't sure if there was any hardware requirements to meet this.

Will I be able to buy these device from a local supplier? I live in Australia.

My ideal box would also include APK's for couchpotato, SB, SAb, transmission etc... but maybe I am dreaming here Smile

Discussion of a lot of the things here are not really appropriate. Would suggest not discussing banned plugins used for watching illegal pirated streams...

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons
(2016-03-12, 13:29)stream78m Wrote: My ideal box would also include APK's for couchpotato, SB, SAb, transmission etc... but maybe I am dreaming here Smile

You can run all that stuff off your NAS and then use something like nzbunity or nzb360 (i run this one on my phone) to interact with it
I have the first WeTek Play and think it is sad that their standard Android firmware use the TV tuner via Kodi’s PVR API and Kodi's built-in GUI for Live TV and EPG functions, even with the Android firmware for the newer WeTek Play2 / WeTek Play2S.

Wish that there was a native (binary) PVR client addon for Kodi that could access the TV tuner directly or a PVR backend that fully supported running natively on Android.

Think best thing would be if PVR backends supported Android TV input framework and could run as service applications on Android so Kodi could access tuners through them.

Yes I know that we can just run OpenELEC but I want/need to run Android as OS to use the Netflix app and more apps that runs on Android. And yes I know that an alternative is to run the PVR backend on NAS or Raspberry Pi, but that does not change the fact that these WeTek Play/Play2/PlayS2 boxes have an integrated TV tuner (that was already paid for) and I want to ulitize that integrated TV tuner from within Kodi when running on Android, without lauching and external app or running Linux.
I think some people have been able to run TVheadend under Android on amlogic boxes. At one point I think someone was working on a PVR backend that was entirely contained within the Kodi PVR binary add-on, but I haven't heard anything else about that in a very long time.
There is build from CT with support for WeTek Play tuners and tvheadend + Kodi.

As well there is tvheadend app and driver helper for Core for USB Tuners + tvheadend + Kodi.
(2016-03-12, 13:29)stream78m Wrote: This looks interesting. I am looking at replacing my aging Asrock ION box, which is on its last supported OE build.

Support for Ion systems will be dropped eventually (like many older hardware) but OE 6.0 is not the last build for these systems.

They are just doing away with Nvidia Legacy build - for OE 7.0 you will use Generic build and it will automatically use the correct video driver for your system.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11