• 13(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
this site has the wetek hub listed at 73,80 €, but it's not in stock yet
http://101gigas.com/list-all-products/?v...word=wetek
---
(2016-05-06, 19:22)Slugshot Wrote:
(2016-05-05, 23:08)noggin Wrote: I think it's a triple tuner (2xDVB-S2, 1xDVB-T2) not a Triple-Dual tuner (i.e. 6xDVB-S2)
No,this Box have 2xDvb-S2,2xDvb-C and 2x Dvb-T/T2=6 Tuner

Are the DVB-C and DVB-T/T2 separate tuners or shared DVB-T/T2/C?
---
Shield TV + 2 gamepads - £150
Raspberry pi 3 kit - £40-£50
Play TV dual tuner - £15

Sell the 2 gamepads for £30-£40 each and that comes to at most £155 which is still cheaper than the €199.

Wetek are pricing themselves out of the market if its true. You could be running a dedicated tv server and the top end android box as a client for less money.
(2016-05-07, 14:50)ianuk2005 Wrote: Shield TV + 2 gamepads - £150
Play TV dual tuner - £15

Sell the 2 gamepads for £30-£40 each and that comes to at most £155 which is still cheaper than the €199.

Wetek are pricing themselves out of the market if its true. You could be running a dedicated tv server and the top end android box as a client for less money.

But you wouldn't want to use a Shield for Live/Recorded TV would you ? Isn't the Shield limited to Bob deinterlacing? AIUI it's a great platform for everything except 1080i and 576i content (i.e. TV)

Also Play TV is DVB-T - which is SD-only in many countries. For HD you need DVB-S2 or DVB-T2 in the UK, Sweden etc. (I have 3 x Play TV tuners decoding the 6 DVB-T SD muxes in the UK, and 3 x August T210v1s decoding the DVB-T2 HD muxes)
(2016-05-07, 14:50)ianuk2005 Wrote: Shield TV + 2 gamepads - £150
Play TV dual tuner - £15

Your math is very off and ignores that the Shield and the Play are marketed towards different users (and thus has different feature sets). A Pi 3 is not good at all as a PVR server since the Tuner (USB), presumed USB HDD, and Ethernet share the same single USB bus. Don't forget that one of the biggest draws of all WeTek hardware is fully supported Linux-based OSes, as well as Android. If you only need Android then a Shield might be better, depending on what the user needs.

If you are okay with a USB tuner, then get a WeTek HUB and use that same tuner. If you don't need mSATA then don't use that model in your comparison. There are three new WeTek S905X models. Users buy the one that fits their situation. Picking the most expensive one and comparing it to a different setup is stupid. You could easily do that with the Shield TV Pro, if you wanted to play it like that.

Also, why no Pi mSD or power supply in your price list? You need at least a fast 16GB card if you want to compare. EDIT: ah, I see you mention "kit". Never mind.
AND I still remain unconvinced like Noggin, that the nVIDIA Shield does decent deinterlacing for TV and DVD viewing anyway.

I know for a fact that it certainly does not do full motion YADIF x2 or even normal YADIF Software deinterlacing and the best you will get is the inferior Bob. Compared to the excellent motion adaptive Hardware deinterlacing you get from a AML S905, and the quality YADIF x2 that I know can be used for DVD Playback. Smile

A well sorted and supported, 10bit 2160p AML S905, especially one that implements full 7.1 HD Audio passthrough in a dual boot Android / Linux configuration. Packaged in a Plug n Play box will likely satisfy quite a few users. Fast eMMC 5.0 storage is the Cherry on top in a budget box like the Hub, especially when using Linux.

The shield does indeed only support bob at the moment, it definetly could do with better deinterlacing support.

I feel you guys are missing my point though. The original wetek play at €99 had dual tuners, good hardware and good support. Getting live TV plus a good client at that price was near impossible.

For €199 euro there's a lot of options to get dual tuners and good well supported hardware that cover the same feature set or better in some areas. I'm only comparing the 2s because that isnthe only one with dual tuners and a decent amount of RAM.
Wetek play had good hw maybe year (or more) ago . Now it is little bit out of date :-) but support is really good and play works good now
(2016-05-07, 23:02)ianuk2005 Wrote: The shield does indeed only support bob at the moment, it definetly could do with better deinterlacing support.

I feel you guys are missing my point though. The original wetek play at €99 had dual tuners, good hardware and good support. Getting live TV plus a good client at that price was near impossible.

For €199 euro there's a lot of options to get dual tuners and good well supported hardware that cover the same feature set or better in some areas. I'm only comparing the 2s because that isnthe only one with dual tuners and a decent amount of RAM.

I think that the price is high-end, but Wetek's support is probably worth paying for. And it's quite tricky to find a dual DVB-S2 tuner and decent S905 device for the money. (DVB-T tuners are cheap, DVB-T2 less so and DVB-S/S2 the most expensive, and the end result ends up being a couple of boxes)
Wetek support sounds like its very good, hence (possibly) the OTT price of the 2S. Please tell me I'm wrong, but did I read somewhere that the membership you get with buying these devices expires after a year or three and you have to pay for support (or updates) after that ?

Also compared to its predecessor, still say that's too big a jump - some (though of course not all) of the improvements are an inevitable part of progress surely.
I never knew what the membership was for with regards to the WeTek Play, but I do know WeTek are still providing support for it. I see regular updates and new features added.

WeTek are not Microsoft, you do not have to pay for product support or updates. I've never heard of WeTek asking anyone to pay for anything after a product is sold.

Three years for any ARM based product is a very long time, especially an AML one. The one redeeming feature is once a product achieves what I call "critical mass" community support like the RPi's and WeTek's own Core, and the recent S905 ODROID C2. You then get guys like OpenELEC and now LibreELEC teams providing Linux OS based Kodi solutions. Long term Kodi support then becomes pretty easy. Smile

AMLogic are testing Android Marshmallow on S905's at the moment and I've heard WeTek say they will support it if and when it becomes a polished enough OS for a mainstream public release.

hi all, I'm following this thread since I'm interested in wetek products..
I would know if the DVB-T2 tuner of the Play 2S is DVT-T2 H.264 or H.265/HEVC.

thanks
(2016-05-08, 09:40)medulin Wrote: hi all, I'm following this thread since I'm interested in wetek products..
I would know if the DVB-T2 tuner of the Play 2S is DVT-T2 H.264 or H.265/HEVC.

thanks

DVB-T2 tuners (*) have no codec flavour - there's no difference between a DVB-T2 tuner tuned to an MPEG2, H264/AVC or H265/HEVC data stream - they all deliver an MPEG2 transport stream to the video playback system. Whether this MPEG2 ts contains H264, H265 or MPEG2 makes no difference to the tuner and demodulator, it's only an issue to the PVR backend (it has to be aware of the H265/HEVC video stream flagging - and TV Headend is) and be able to decode the video (The SoC in the Play 2S should be fine)

My first generation PCTV 290e (the first USB DVB-T2 tuner on the market) had zero problems with the 2014 BBC DVB-T2 H265/HEVC UHD test broadcasts. Neither did my August T210v1 tuners. The recordings I made of these services using my PCTV290e and August T210v1 playback fine on my ODroid C2 and MiniMX (both S905 based)

The same is true of DVB-S2 tuners - even first gen models from the mid-00s will tune and demodulate H265/HEVC test services.

(*) A DVB-T2 tuner just tunes (and usually demodulates) the digital TV service. A set top box (which some call a 'tuner') includes a tuner, demodulator AND playback system. It's the playback system that is codec-dependent. That role is assumed by the AMLogic SoC VPU/GPU in the Play2S, not the tuner module.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11