• 22(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
(2016-06-18, 15:57)komplex Wrote: Will all the tuner options just be twin tuners like 2xDVB-S2 or 2xDVB-C/T/T2 or combo with 1xDVB-S2 and 1xDVB-C/T/T2

Play 2 is single tuner version, but there will exist standard tuners line-up like Satellite, Hybrid (C/T/T2) & ATSC. Who knows, maybe combo tuner as well for S/C/T/T2 Big Grin
I'm still debating between the Hub, the Shield and maybe the Minix U1.
I "just" need :
- 1080p HEVC 10bit support (for my actual files)
- 1080p h264 support (of course)
- A way to use Spotify without turning on my TV
- Netflix support at least 1080p (stereo is enough for me)
- 4k support for the future maybe (i have no 4k tv at the moment)

The shield i think is overpriced for my needs (and i have a xbox one and a pc for gaming)
What is the famous "bug" of the minix ? It will be fixed with the hub ?
Some people just cannot be bother reading the sticky threads can they ?

Quote:Only Google Widevine Level 1, and Netflix certified DRM devices are listed for Full 1080p HD streaming.
This rules out nearly all cheap Android media boxes as they will only give you a max resolution of 480p for copy protected paid DRM video streaming services. All MINIX Android devices have this 480p limitation unfortunately.

I read those wrxtasy, just hoping that the Minix U1 was better Wink
Btw, the only one with an optical out (i have a Sony 5.1 wireless headset with only optical and stereo rca in... sad).
The hub with his 1080p netflix is on top of my preferences right now
(2016-06-18, 17:01)zirconicus Wrote: I'm still debating between the Hub, the Shield and maybe the Minix U1.
I "just" need :
- 1080p HEVC 10bit support (for my actual files)
- 1080p h264 support (of course)
- A way to use Spotify without turning on my TV
- Netflix support at least 1080p (stereo is enough for me)
- 4k support for the future maybe (i have no 4k tv at the moment)

The shield i think is overpriced for my needs (and i have a xbox one and a pc for gaming)
What is the famous "bug" of the minix ? It will be fixed with the hub ?

If you want Netflix 1080p support - then the Minix is ruled out isn't it? Only the Wetek and Shield will do Netflix in HD (the Shield will also do it in UHD/4K and will give you 5.1 audio)

The Wetek boxes are unusual in having Netflix 1080p support even though they aren't from a big brand like nVidia, Apple, Amazon etc.
(2016-06-18, 15:59)droidelec Wrote: Play 2 is single tuner version

OK now i'm confused, did the old Play not have a twin tuner? And the new ones are going to have a single tuner?
(2016-06-18, 20:46)komplex Wrote:

OK now i'm confused, did the old Play not have a twin tuner? And the new ones are going to have a single tuner?
Play definitely does have a twin dvb-s2 tuner. If the Play 2 only has single that is very poor.
(2016-06-18, 20:46)komplex Wrote:

From memory the Wetek Play came in Dual DVB-S2 or Single DVB-T/T2/C tuner versions (the T/T2/C was a single tuner capable of all three standards)?
Are these going to be better then the wetek core?
(2016-06-19, 00:42)noggin Wrote: From memory the Wetek Play came in Dual DVB-S2 or Single DVB-T/T2/C tuner versions (the T/T2/C was a single tuner capable of all three standards)?

Ah OK i thought they were all twin tuners from this page on here https://wetek.com/shop
(2016-06-18, 15:57)droidelec Wrote: @wrxtasy

Yes, thats true.

In Android 6.0 for S905/S905X/S905D AMLogic done wonderful job, it support audio HAl 61937 pack now.

Any news on when the new Hub will get an Android 6.0 update?
(2016-06-19, 04:56)komplex Wrote:
(2016-06-19, 00:42)noggin Wrote: From memory the Wetek Play came in Dual DVB-S2 or Single DVB-T/T2/C tuner versions (the T/T2/C was a single tuner capable of all three standards)?

Ah OK i thought they were all twin tuners from this page on here https://wetek.com/shop

Was going by : http://openelec.tv/openelec-box where only the DVB-S2 is detailed as dual, but the ATSC and DVB-T/T2/C aren't.

Clicked on your links and if you look carefully at the the two RF connectors they are labelled RF-in and RF-out on the ATSC and DVB-T/T2/C models I think - with the DVB-T/T2/C model being a combo tuner (tuning either DVB-T/T2 OR C but not both at the same time I think)
(2016-06-18, 05:33)HomerJau Wrote: Ok. Now that the Hub is available for pre-order on WETEK can any of the beta testers/devs please post info on how the Hub runs Kodi compared to the Core and any limitations, if any?

Can I presume the UI is more snappy/faster? (eMMC faster than NAND). Is the eMMC storage user replaceable to 16GB or more?

(2016-06-19, 03:39)Tákillyn Wrote: Are these going to be better then the wetek core?

I don't have a Hub yet myself, so I don't know if the memory is faster or not.

For the SoC (as far as Kodi GUI performance is concerned), from what I understand the biggest difference between the Core (S812) and other S905 boxes are the video processing side of things. Raw CPU wise, they're about the same: http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/01/29/a...omparison/

Of course, there are other specs that the S905 bring over the S812, but Kodi's GUI will be about the same on both.
As a WeTek hardware Beta tester and OE / LE dev. I have been testing a Hub dev. board, so can make a direct comparison:

eMMC Storage is not upgradeable on either device.

Hub (S905) vs Core(S812):
  • Faster eMMC storage results in a bit faster booting up, slightly snappier performance in Android Kodi. OpenELEC speeds are similar.
  • 3D GPU performance if playing games is Superior on the Core. See the CNX chart.
  • I don't have the included retail IR remote for the Hub yet (arriving tomorrow) Smile, but it will be inferior I expect due to being IR as opposed to RF Wireless on the Core. I really like the super responsive remote on the Core with its accurate Air Mouse function.
  • Dual Band AC WiFi on the Hub vs Dual Band BGN on the Core.
  • HDMI 2.0 vs HDMI 1.4 on the Core, means the Hub is not limited to 2160p30Hz video output.
  • 10bit HEVC decoding vs 8bit on the Core.
  • 1 USB port vs 2 USB 2.0 ports
I expect 7.1 True HD and DTS-MA HD Audio Passthrough to be easily implementable on the S905 Hub when running OpenELEC or LibreELEC as I know what is required from ODROID C2 (S905) development.
Clued up Kodi users would have seen that one coming... Wink

I would really like to see WeTek include a few more extra cost - Remote control / keyboard options for Hub purchasers.

Cheers noggin for the clarification Smile

wrxtasy the real question i need answered is how long is the power cable :p as i'm assuming it'll be almost the same size on the Play2
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11