• 28(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
Now official, announced from facebook..

[DANCER]

s7Edge ==》TaPaTaLk
So I'm correct in thinking that the Play with dual DVB-S2 tuners is being replaced by the new super improved Play 2 with single DVB-S2 tuner for I think the same price ? Without trying to be rude, how is this in any way progress ?
4K, 10-bit HEVC, 5 GHz WiFi, 2 GB RAM, 8 GB eMMC and Gigabit Ethernet.

Any clear difference? Smile
(2016-08-17, 02:21)arrbee99 Wrote: So I'm correct in thinking that the Play with dual DVB-S2 tuners is being replaced by the new super improved Play 2 with single DVB-S2 tuner for I think the same price ? Without trying to be rude, how is this in any way progress ?

I don't know the technical details around DVB-S2, but this is a huge upgrade for the general box and for all other tuner types. I still test and use an original Play 1 and it's kinda poky these days. The Play 2's CPU upgrade alone will be wonderful, plus all the additional video processing abilities.
Am sure those features are very good and very useful, especially the fast processor / fast interface.

But as for me living is New Zealand, where we can't get DVB-T and the DVB-S is just that (not DVB-S2), and where we have several not very good channels on two different muxes (if that's the right term), going from twin tuner to single is definitely retrograde (if true, if not then I apologise).
So is that a yes or no on being able to buy a twin tuner module?
(2016-08-16, 22:39)tredman Wrote: @droidelec can i take the dual dvb-s2 tuner out my Play 1 and put in the play 2?

Don't do it, you might risk to damage the board

(2016-08-17, 02:21)arrbee99 Wrote: Without trying to be rude, how is this in any way progress ?

Without trying to be a smartass... Smile
- New soc
- HDCP 1.x / 2.X
- Widevine L1 + PlayReady 2.5 (3.0 in the future)
- Android 5.1 vs Android 4.2
- A soc that has nothing to do with the 8726MX that is blazing fast
- A very fast eMMC that boots to the launcher in 16 to 18 seconds (compared to the full minute it takes to the Play)
- A completely rewritten tv app that, I don't want to be cocky, plays almost on par with Enigma 2 (unless you need some specific and advanced features, but for the eye candy, etc, it's even better imho)
- I could continue with a lot of things
You have a list of impressive improvements, which, as you say, could be expanded further, which to me validates my point - why, with all this cool new stuff, has the TV tuner bit gone backwards ? Is there a technical reason on the Play 2 for going from two to one tuner that presumably required the design and manufacture of a new product when I would have thought that the existing twin tuner could slot right in ? I don't know the reason and I just don't get it in general.

(My needs / wants are simple - a TV tuner (preferably dual) with Android onto which other apps can be added (Netflix etc), a nice interface and speed and well made. Oh, and talking to Emby nicely.
The Play2 since its first show up in Dubai was never supposed to have support for dual tuners, that was something for Play2S, which are distinct products for (slightly) different kind of users
I know I'm biased but II really think the Play 2 should have dual tuners - the original Play had dual tuners for the same 109Euro price as the new model and I have no need for the 2S with the fancy remote and SSD (or provision for one). Am also pretty sure the 2S will cost quite a lot more for these extras when as I say, I'm just after the dual tuner. So please make it standard or at least an option.
And remember that dual tuners will mean higher price and not all like to pay more for something they don't need. They did good decision here: hub - all people that needs high-end media box, Play2 - same as previous but with addition of using TV somehow, Play2S - for those who need record something while watching other stuff and want to pay for that. Smile
(2016-08-17, 08:46)Draghmar Wrote: And remember that dual tuners will mean higher price and not all like to pay more for something they don't need. They did good decision here: hub - all people that needs high-end media box, Play2 - same as previous but with addition of using TV somehow, Play2S - for those who need record something while watching other stuff and want to pay for that. Smile

Part of my point - in my case I would like dual tuners but don't particularly want to pay for stuff I don't need, like remotes with keyboards. Though again would say that if the original Play with dual tuners could bought for 109Euros, then the Play 2 should also be available with dual tuners for about the same price.

So a bit more mix n' match would be nice.
The original Play did not have the same licenses costs for example. If you compare what you can get for 109€ and what you would get in the Linux E2 STB world you will realize that 109€ is a killer price
(2016-08-17, 09:30)arrbee99 Wrote: Part of my point - in my case I would like dual tuners but don't particularly want to pay for stuff I don't need, like remotes with keyboards. Though again would say that if the original Play with dual tuners could bought for 109Euros, then the Play 2 should also be available with dual tuners for about the same price.

So a bit more mix n' match would be nice.
If you don't want better remote then you can probably sell it. I'm pretty sure you will find many people that would like to buy it. Tongue
Of course it would be great if everything was cheap (or even free Wink) but newer hardware is almost always more expensive then older one.
The new play 2 I think will be sell much more price, I think.
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11