• 35(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
(2016-08-21, 10:37)noggin Wrote:
(2016-08-21, 02:30)komplex Wrote: @noggin http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2395594 is this what you're after

So there are now three different arrangements across the Play / Play 2 / Play 2S line :

Play has 2 x DVB-S/S2 or 1 x DVB-T/T2/C combo (or 1xATSC)
Play 2 has 1 x DVB-S/S2 or 1 x DVB-T/T2/C combo. (And unlike the Play doesn't have 2 x DVB-S/S2 on a single module)
Play 2S as 2 x DVB-S/S2 or 2 x DVB-T/T2/C combo. (But no option for 1 x DVB-S/S2 and 1 x DVB-T/T2/C as the tuners are dual-tuners on a single module, with just one module slot)

So this mean either three different tuner modules across the line-up (though I guess the Play and Play 2S could share a DVB-S/S2 design as both have 2 x DVB-S/S2) or integrated tuners? I'd hoped the Play 2 would offer the same DVB-S/S2 functionality as the Play - but it appears that it is reduced. I'd also hoped that the Play 2S would offer improved DVB-S/S2 functionality over the original Play, but it appears they are the same.

Also, the possibility was mentioned that they may, possibly arrange for a twin DVB-S2 tuner for the Play 2 in the future, so you would presumably have a single tuner and have to pay for a twin tuner replacement to get to what the Play could do to begin with. OK it won't break the bank, but still....
Hi all, I have some questions abuot Wetek Play 2.
1- in the specs I see: USB 2.0: 2 External, 2 Internal. Are the 2 internal usb ports accessible? can I use them ?
2- in the pre-order I can add a 8GB microSD (9,90€): there is something on this microSD (such us opelenec) or is it empty?
3- in the specs I see: Bluetooth: 4.0. Can I use it to connect bluetooth keybord or ps3 controller? I would buy a Logitech k400 and I would know if I must use its receiver or the internal bt on play2.

thanks
(2016-08-21, 02:30)komplex Wrote: @noggin http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2395594 is this what you're after

So there are now three different arrangements across the Play / Play 2 / Play 2S line :

Play 2 has 1 x DVB-S/S2 or 1 x DVB-T/T2/C combo. (And unlike the Play doesn't have 2 x DVB-S/S2 on a single module)
Play 2S as 2 x DVB-S/S2 or 2 x DVB-T/T2/C combo. (But no option for 1 x DVB-S/S2 and 1 x DVB-T/T2/C as the tuners are dual-tuners on a single module, with just one module slot)

So this mean either three different tuner modules across the line-up (though I guess the Play and Play 2S could share a DVB-S/S2 design as both have 2 x DVB-S/S2) or integrated tuners? I'd hoped the Play 2 would offer the same DVB-S/S2 functionality as the Play - but it appears that it is reduced. I'd also hoped that the Play 2S would offer improved DVB-S/S2 functionality over the original Play, but it appears they are the same.

Play 2 have completely rewritten DVB middleware under Android which is now called WeTV. As well it comes with web interface and users will be able to stream channel tuned at Play 2 directly over web interface or by copy/paste URL in VLC on PC or mobile devices.

Automatic download and update of Satellite and TP data, Picons, Channel lists etc.

Play 2 is equipped with gigabit ethernet which is enough to stream 4K DVB channels to other devices, of course those devices should support HW decoding of H265 and 4K.

In theory you can install Play 2 in basement and setup it and stream accross home network to WeTek Hub etc.
(2016-08-21, 21:06)medulin Wrote: Hi all, I have some questions abuot Wetek Play 2.
1- in the specs I see: USB 2.0: 2 External, 2 Internal. Are the 2 internal usb ports accessible? can I use them ?
2- in the pre-order I can add a 8GB microSD (9,90€): there is something on this microSD (such us opelenec) or is it empty?
3- in the specs I see: Bluetooth: 4.0. Can I use it to connect bluetooth keybord or ps3 controller? I would buy a Logitech k400 and I would know if I must use its receiver or the internal bt on play2.

thanks

1. Maybe. At least one internal USB port will be used by the remote receiver. If you want to use another RF remote with its own USB dongle, you could replace the original WeTek one. Or if you don't need the RF remote, you could just take it out and use the USB port for something else. The other internal USB port might have a little authentication module in it like the original Play did, and if so, that cannot be removed. I'm not sure if it does have/need that, though.

2. I think it's just the card. At the moment LibreELEC/OpenELEC and other third party OSes are still being worked on, so I don't know if they would be far enough along to be stable and include on pre-ordered cards. Thankfully, LibreELEC now has an easy cross platform tool for preparing mSD cards, so it shouldn't be an issue.

3. Bluetooth keyboards will work under both Android and LibreELEC. A PS3 controller needs special pairing steps, but it will work too when the right app is installed under Android. I haven't looked yet to see what LibreELEC's support for PS3 controllers look like, but I suspect it is possible.
(2016-08-21, 21:46)droidelec Wrote:

Play 2 have completely rewritten DVB middleware under Android which is now called WeTV. As well it comes with web interface and users will be able to stream channel tuned at Play 2 directly over web interface or by copy/paste URL in VLC on PC or mobile devices.
Ah - I don't really bother with Anrdroid for DVB duties - I run LibreElec on most of my devices. Will the internal tuners be visible as normal /dev/dvb devices in Linux? What you are describing in Android sounds similar to the functionality TV Headend delivers in Linux.

Quote:Automatic download and update of Satellite and TP data, Picons, Channel lists etc.

Nice - and a good solution. Particualrly for new users who want it to 'just work' - though I guess there will be work in keeping this database up to date. (Does the software support Bouquet detection and usage like TV Headend - so channel numbers properly map to standard channel numbers in EPGs - like Freesat UK and Sky UK on TV Headend ?) I assume in Android the WeTV won't support Freesat and Freeview HD EPGs as commercial software presumably can't ship with the Huffman compression tables that require licensing in commercial products?

Quote:Play 2 is equipped with gigabit ethernet which is enough to stream 4K DVB channels to other devices, of course those devices should support HW decoding of H265 and 4K.
Yes - though to be fair DVB UHD is around 35Mbs (and dropping as HEVC encoders improve) - so 100Mbs Ethernet should be OK for UHD shouldn't it - though I'm not complaining about GigE (!) If the Play 2 had more than one tuner then I could see the benefit of GigE as you could be streaming two HEVC channels to different devices over your network...

Quote:In theory you can install Play 2 in basement and setup it and stream accross home network to WeTek Hub etc.
Yes - but with only one DVB-S/S2 tuner (compared to two in the Play DVB-S/S2 model) this is quite limited - as you can only stream channels on the same transponder to multiple clients (or the Play 2) simultaneously. Not being able to record a show whilst watching a different show (unless they are on the same TP) is a limitation.

I look forward to seeing the Play 2 and Play 2S appear - but it is a shame that the Play2 appears to have reduced DVB-S/S2 functionality compared to the outgoing Play. (1 x DVB-S2 rather than 2 x DVB-S2) To me that pigeonholes the Play 2 as a receiver not a server.
(2016-08-22, 02:20)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-08-21, 21:06)medulin Wrote: Hi all, I have some questions abuot Wetek Play 2.

thanks

1. Maybe. At least one internal USB port will be used by the remote receiver. If you want to use another RF remote with its own USB dongle, you could replace the original WeTek one. Or if you don't need the RF remote, you could just take it out and use the USB port for something else. The other internal USB port might have a little authentication module in it like the original Play did, and if so, that cannot be removed. I'm not sure if it does have/need that, though.

2. I think it's just the card. At the moment LibreELEC/OpenELEC and other third party OSes are still being worked on, so I don't know if they would be far enough along to be stable and include on pre-ordered cards. Thankfully, LibreELEC now has an easy cross platform tool for preparing mSD cards, so it shouldn't be an issue.

3. Bluetooth keyboards will work under both Android and LibreELEC. A PS3 controller needs special pairing steps, but it will work too when the right app is installed under Android. I haven't looked yet to see what LibreELEC's support for PS3 controllers look like, but I suspect it is possible.
Hi Ned, thanks for your reply.
However, at the point 3 I need other informations. As you know, Logitech K400 (and the others keybord) has its own usb dongle. I would know if I can connect the Logitech K400 to the Play2 using internal Bluetooth or I need the usb dongle (using a usb port)
The K400 does not use bluetooth at all. If a keyboard specifically mentions bluetooth, then you can use it.

This keyboard is about on par with the K400 on quality and price, and does support bluetooth: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRC6D3S/
(2016-08-22, 11:37)Ned Scott Wrote: The K400 does not use bluetooth at all. If a keyboard specifically mentions bluetooth, then you can use it.

This keyboard is about on par with the K400 on quality and price, and does support bluetooth: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRC6D3S/

thank you!!! unfortunately I don't find in on Amazon.IT and I cannot buy it on FR or UK since the layout is different
Odered my Play2, despite I would prefered the possibility to buy it together with the Remote with keyboard announced with the Play2S as an option.
I will have to buy a remote with keyboard or use the app with my tablet that simulates one remote: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...trol&hl=es
(2016-08-22, 15:12)JoBcn Wrote: Odered my Play2, despite I would prefered the possibility to buy it together with the Remote with keyboard announced with the Play2S as an option.
I will have to buy a remote with keyboard or use the app with my tablet that simulates one remote: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...trol&hl=es
If it is like the hub, you will be able to control it via webinterface.
Just type ip of the box in your phone browser.
Everything will be there.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3
I've been using the built-in WeTek VNC server to make my phone into a mouse touchpad :)

Depending on the client, you can even make the connection basically "one way" so that the WeTek isn't wasting time sending video to the phone, and is just accepting mouse input.
So, I can use my McBook Air via webinterface just typing the Play2 IP and control it via the keyboard and trackpad of my laptop? Cool!
(2016-08-21, 21:46)droidelec Wrote: Play 2 have completely rewritten DVB middleware under Android which is now called WeTV.
Then can WeTek developers please make an official native PVR client addon for Kodi's PVR API that can be used under Android OS? Read http://kodi.wiki/index.php?title=PVR

I'm not asking for a Python script/plugin for Kodi, but a true 'Kodi native' PVR client addon your WeTV backend that is written in C++ for Kodi's PVR API.

Having a ative PVR client addon in Kodi for that WeTK PVR backend would meant that we in Kodi running on Android could watch Live TV from the integrated tuner when running Android.

As example see code for other PVR client addon at https://github.com/kodi-pvr

As far as I know no other PVR backends running on Android OS offer a native PVR client addon for Kodi, especially not when running oin the same box, so WeTek could be the first here.
Hi RockerC,

Yes, we was already thinking about that, to allow non-Linux (OE, LE) users to enjoy in PVR on Kodi.
(2016-08-23, 15:50)droidelec Wrote: Hi RockerC,

Yes, we was already thinking about that, to allow non-Linux (OE, LE) users to enjoy in PVR on Kodi.
That would be awesome! My parents and many frields run Android as I use Netflix and other Android-only apps. Would love it if they to be able to enjoy true PVR experince in Kodi own PVR interface without having to dual-boot Linux.
  • 35(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11