• 38(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
@Draghmar is going to send me a list of posts to split. I can do that and correct this.
Wow this is thread(s) is now a massive jubbled mess - well done.

I must admit I agree with everything draghmar said.

How pathetic is it to change an old thread title to a different device just because you didn't post the first play 2 thread.

Now this thread is filled with loads of semi non-related info.

Time to Grow up!
Yeah, I don't understand why there can only be one thread about something... They were two related topics, but contained two different reviews and some slightly different content.

I don't blame anyone, but I don't understand why there was a need/request to merge.
(2016-09-14, 22:33)Ned Scott Wrote: I don't blame anyone, but I don't understand why there was a need/request to merge.

I think the reason why wrxtasy repeatedly requested the threads to be merged (into his own (dated, offtopic) thread, which he had then changed the title of) is so he had the POWER OF POST #1, thus giving draghmar the boot and big fat middle finger.

Draghmar beat him to it - wrxtasy didn't like it, so spat his dummy.

Sad if you ask me.
Maybe so, maybe not, but either way let's not word it like that. wrxtasy might have thought it was honestly better this way and it had nothing to do with who was first. I try to assume people are acting in good faith on the forum.
split based on lists of posts from @Draghmar - i'm done. you guys can't get along from here on out take a trip outside.
Ned, bry, the way you talk about this situation I feel as if you are implying draghmar is not worthy enough to create/maintain a device specific thread. Talk about putting a man down - I'm actually shocked, and I didn't even post the review - draghmar must be fuming.

Whats funny about this now, is how all of wrxtasys posts requesting the threads to be merged into his old thread have mysteriously vanished lmao... Why? To cover up his childish behaviour? Clearly.

What is this a popularity contest? Are those with less posts not eligible to start device specific thread?

The time draghma must of taken to write share his views on his own thread have been shoved right in his face, all because some "big boy" (actually) "cry baby" spat his dummy.

Pathetic.
P.s you may aswel go through the first 34 pages and delete all those comments too, as the majority of talk in this now merged thread is not relivant to the Wetek Play 2.
(2016-09-15, 00:08)Big Aero Wrote: Ned, bry, the way you talk about this situation I feel as if you are implying draghmar is not worthy enough to create/maintain a device specific thread. Talk about putting a man down - I'm actually shocked, and I didn't even post the review - draghmar must be fuming.

Whats funny about this now, is how all of wrxtasys posts requesting the threads to be merged into his old thread have mysteriously vanished lmao... Why? To cover up his childish behaviour? Clearly.

What is this a popularity contest? Are those with less posts not eligible to start device specific thread?

The time draghma must of taken to write share his views on his own thread have been shoved right in his face, all because some "big boy" (actually) "cry baby" spat his dummy.

Pathetic.

I don't have strong feelings about it either way, but I do think it was better to keep the two thread split. Merging threads is tricky and can sometimes really break the flow of a discussion, even when it does make sense. It's not a big deal, but it just makes it easier to follow things, and often products are bound to get multiple threads.

I don't think anything negative was meant by anyone, inlcuding wrxtasy. He might be a little too focused on thread organization, but I think his intent was just to keep from splitting similar questions and replies in multiple places.

So knock it off. There's no conspiracy or popularity contest. I couldn't care less about who has started what thread, and I doubt that bry cared either. No matter what is going on, the reasonable assumption is that people are just trying to help. The way you are acting now is uncalled for.
Big aero I process two requests. The first to merge two threads and the second to split the two newly merged threads post by post. No posts were deleted. Something that I did not have to do. The go outside was not a negative comment I was simply suggesting the two that had different opinions get some fresh air because I was done splitting/merging thread.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2016-09-14, 18:41)komplex Wrote: wrxtasy if this is just about the Play2 remove all the crap about the hub/streamer from the first post, if it's going to be about all the new wetek stuff what was the point in merging the 2 threads
Yes Post #1 was actually tidied up at komplex's request.

I went with what I thought was the neater option as that is what the "Pick The Right Kodi Box" thread Play2 link originally, and still links into.
It's my understanding the Play2S is quite a way off and the tech specs may not even be accurate anyway, it may be revisited when some firmer info is forthcoming from WeTek.

Anyway bry- and myself tried to tidy things up.
Guilty as charged for that your "Big Aero" honor, send us down the river to do hard labour, for Kodi hardware thread tidying up, and merging offences !
@bry- do you want the Pick or the Shovel ?, personally I feel like swinging something pointy about in the air and smacking it down hard.

2 threads it looks like it is from this point onwards then, It is a Play"2" after all ! Wink

(2016-09-14, 20:20)Draghmar Wrote: And please wrxtasy don't call my review `mini` because this is full review of whole device.
Fixed !

Thats it - I'm not re-editing Post#1 from this point onwards on any further users whims.
All my LibreELEC Kodi Play2 stuff will be staying in this thread as well.

I see that the 2 threads have been split and that my question went off to the other one, so am posting it here as well in case this is the "correct" thread to ask it....
-------------------------------------

Hi All,

Not sure whether to post a new thread or ask this question here; if it needs to be a new thread please let know.

I've been doing a lot of reading about choosing a Kodi STB and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Play2 or the Hub.

My situation is this:
2012 Sony 46HX850
Yamaha RX-V673 receiver with 5.1 setup
Old Dell functioning as HTPC running Serviio to present the content on the TV
Large library of films/TV shows/music on 2TB external HDD plugged in to the Dell via USB

I'm looking to replace the Dell in the setup as it really is old and slow. Will also likely get a proper NAS for the media library at some point.
Main goals of the new STB will be Kodi streaming and accessing our personal library, which to begin with would have to be plugged in via USB. Don't do any gaming at all so I discounted the Shield, and working off of the "Start here" thread I've arrived at the WeTeks.

I'm in Europe, where the Hub costs 90 euros and the Play2 costs 120 euros.
From my reading, it seems like they are very similar, just that the Play2 has an extra 1GB RAM, a tuner to access TV channels, a better remote and internal wifi instead of external.

Since we don't bother with TV channels (the Sony is effectively just a big monitor, we don't have aerial/satellite connected to it), it seems like I would be paying 30 euro more just to have an extra 1GB of RAM. Is that extra RAM worth it? Will it make a noticeable difference/performance improvement? Whichever box I get will be wired via 1GB ethernet, so the internal vs external wifi isn't really a concern.

Thanks for any guidance you can give!
G
(2016-09-15, 14:47)yarg Wrote: I see that the 2 threads have been split and that my question went off to the other one, so am posting it here as well in case this is the "correct" thread to ask it....
-------------------------------------
We tried to merge and be playmates us Play2 fellas but could not share a common Sandpit it seems, and then there was a squabble over the toys ! Wink
Anyway, back to the questions.

If you are streaming 4K video then yes 2GB of RAM makes a tiny difference, because during my testing with LibreELEC you could set a nice large Video Cache for the Play2, but had to knock that cache size back for the 1GB Hub or it would crash as it ran out of free RAM. Really no performance diff. 1080p video no issues.

Be aware also the Play 2 has a nicer remote control than the basic one used by the Hub. They both have slow, rubbish IR D-Pad Air Mouse implementations - which make it a PITA to use regular Playstore Android Apps, just like all regular Android Boxes it seems. Perversely MINIX's NEO A2 Lite - RF / Keyboard combo - Air Mouse remote control works well.
You will need to budget for a RF Air Mouse Remote control or just Sideload tweaked Android TV OS Apps which have no Air Mouse issues. (See WeTek's - Core thread on their forums).

Post #1 of this thread has more info.

Thanks for your thoughts. So basically, if we are going to stick with our 1080p Sony for the foreseeable future then the hub will suffice; if we are ever going to use 4K video then it's worth getting the Play2 from a future-proofing perspective?

In terms of remotes, the Wetek site states that, for the Hub at least, you can use the WeControl app on your phone as a remote. Not sure if the same applies to the Play2, but in any case, could you not just use your phone as a remote then?

Thanks,
G
I believe that WeControl App works across all WeTek devices. I've only Apple devices and that App works on Android only unfortunately unless something has changed.

Eventually for LibreELEC on both the Play2 and Hub, nicely sorted HDMI-CEC control will be up and running smoothly along with the ability to custom program any IR remote control you have lying around to use with LE Kodi. HDMI-CEC works out of the box (once enable) with Android Lollipop on all WeTek devices.

Just for info, with LE 7.1 on the Play2, I can play the peak bitrate - 160Mb/s 2160p HEVC Jellyfish test file without issues. That's in excess what typical UHD Bluray HEVC Bitrates will be by a decent margin. Smile

• 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11