WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
I see that the 2 threads have been split and that my question went off to the other one, so am posting it here as well in case this is the "correct" thread to ask it....
-------------------------------------

Hi All,

Not sure whether to post a new thread or ask this question here; if it needs to be a new thread please let know.

I've been doing a lot of reading about choosing a Kodi STB and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Play2 or the Hub.

My situation is this:
2012 Sony 46HX850
Yamaha RX-V673 receiver with 5.1 setup
Old Dell functioning as HTPC running Serviio to present the content on the TV
Large library of films/TV shows/music on 2TB external HDD plugged in to the Dell via USB

I'm looking to replace the Dell in the setup as it really is old and slow. Will also likely get a proper NAS for the media library at some point.
Main goals of the new STB will be Kodi streaming and accessing our personal library, which to begin with would have to be plugged in via USB. Don't do any gaming at all so I discounted the Shield, and working off of the "Start here" thread I've arrived at the WeTeks.

I'm in Europe, where the Hub costs 90 euros and the Play2 costs 120 euros.
From my reading, it seems like they are very similar, just that the Play2 has an extra 1GB RAM, a tuner to access TV channels, a better remote and internal wifi instead of external.

Since we don't bother with TV channels (the Sony is effectively just a big monitor, we don't have aerial/satellite connected to it), it seems like I would be paying 30 euro more just to have an extra 1GB of RAM. Is that extra RAM worth it? Will it make a noticeable difference/performance improvement? Whichever box I get will be wired via 1GB ethernet, so the internal vs external wifi isn't really a concern.

Thanks for any guidance you can give!
G

Messages In This Thread
RE: WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews - by yarg - 2016-09-15, 14:47
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11