• 39(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
So if we are going to keep the 1080p TV for some time and I have an android phone with I can use as a remote via the WeControl app, then basically the Hub should be more than enough for what we need right?

One other thing I didn't mention (and I notice you talking about in various threads) is that the primary use for Kodi is streaming sports (particularly rugby) to the TV. I think the Hub would still be a decent choice for that use from what I've understood? Of course all depends on the internet connection but we have 100MB fibre so then it's just a case of finding the right source stream....
The Hub will be just fine for 1080p.

I watch a lot of OTA Aussie Rules Football (AFL) - the most brutal, fastest game in the World BTW !
Its definitely not Rugby, you will upset the AFL Aussies diehards on here calling it Rugby. Ha Ha Wink

I feed TV streams into various AMLogic devices from a backend TvHeadend server running on an old S805 OpenELEC ODROID C1. This is Interlaced TV that AML devices do a very nice job of deinterlacing and displaying, even when running Android Jarvis.

I can also (legally), access IPTV replays of games online and they play without issue. No Fibre here I'm lucky to get 6MB/s. Sad

Sorry for the mixup mate: I'm well familiar with Aussie Rules....I meant that if the Wetek devices could handle your streaming of that footie, then they should be able to handle rugby union too which is my personal weakness Wink

So looks like I'll be ordering a Hub this evening then. Thanks a lot for your advice!
Damn the internet and all it's information!! Smile

Making the classic mistake of continuing to read and research even after having made a choice. Again from a future-proofing perspective, would the HiMedia Q10 or the Shield make more sense? They both seem vastly more powerful and all-round better than the Hub (although much more expensive and I saw in your mid-season review thread that there are many complaints about the Shield at the moment)

Just another though:, our Netflix, Prime etc options are limited here in Europe, but I still maintain my subscriptions in the UK. Do any set top boxes have the ability to establish a VPN to benefit from that?

Thanks!
Depends if your after live tv like I am (in which case improvements needs to be made) or if you have you own collection of movies/tv and just want a player.
(2016-09-15, 22:38)yarg Wrote: Damn the internet and all it's information!! Smile

Making the classic mistake of continuing to read and research even after having made a choice. Again from a future-proofing perspective, would the HiMedia Q10 or the Shield make more sense? They both seem vastly more powerful and all-round better than the Hub (although much more expensive and I saw in your mid-season review thread that there are many complaints about the Shield at the moment)

Just another though:, our Netflix, Prime etc options are limited here in Europe, but I still maintain my subscriptions in the UK. Do any set top boxes have the ability to establish a VPN to benefit from that?

Thanks!

You can set up VPN connections in LibreElec/OpenElec - though it takes a bit of work. (I've had no problems with Raspberry Pi 2s - though 64 bit OSs may be a little trickier. I haven't tried on my Wetek Hub) You can also usually set-up VPNs quite simply in Android usually.
@yarg
Personally no platform makes any sense if you want to stream DRM protected video and and you don't have Netflix approval nor Widevine Level 1, its welcome to 480p max resolution world then. Read the Pick The Right Kodi Box thread carefully.

As for Future proofing, well there will always be something cheaper and more capable coming down the Tech pipe. That's a certainty. Better to buy a relatively bug free devices for content you are consuming right now than speculate what 2160p content you might watch. It's impossible at the moment to even Rip your own HDR10 content due to copy protection. There are only so many HDR10 test clips one can watch. Wink

Great info thanks. The Hub has been ordered and it seems like PIA VPN will work with both an Android app and on LibreElec/OpenElec so will try to get that setup when the Hub arrives.

Appreciate all the time and effort you guys put in to answering our questions....thanks again!
No problems. If you and Audio guy you will be pretty happy with recent Hub LibreELEC 7.1 Audio updates as well.

As for VPN setups, this thread has all the info and help from other users:
http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/di...nvpn-setup

WeTek OS v1.2 for Play 2 is now available.

http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p...ate#latest
Does this mean that with the update to WeTV, it can now display a full 7 day epg?
When the DVB stream provides it in a standard way, yes, many examples of 7 days epg for me on italian DVB-T or Hotbird 13.0 channels.
If it requires workarounds like crossepg do (tuning to a specific transponder to gather the epg data), then not.
Ok, so for instance, Freesat in the UK get its epg from a dedicated data channel called Freesat EPG. Are you saying the the Wetek won't be able to use this to get the 7 day listings?
@droidelec, thx. bit time poor at the moment I will download WeTek OS v1.2 and provide feedback soonish Smile

Feedback on the WeTek forum as the WeTV App has nothing to do with Kodi. WeTV App still in Beta test Software stage in my eyes with a bunch of PVR features missing.
http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/di...ate#latest

Thanks @wrxtasy, seems WeTV has a long way to go before I can consider it usable. Right, I'm just gonna throw this out there, is there a thread that shows Kodi's progress in the pvr side of things under Jarvis or 17.0??
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11