• 40(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
(2016-09-17, 08:25)Sjharris Wrote: Thanks @wrxtasy, seems WeTV has a long way to go before I can consider it usable. Right, I'm just gonna throw this out there, is there a thread that shows Kodi's progress in the pvr side of things under Jarvis or 17.0??
AML LibreELEC 7.1 or WeTek Media Player(WMP) - Kodi Jarvis 16.1 + TvHeadend client:

- Play2 running LibreELEC Kodi Jarvis can use the TvHeadend server + client + single tuner in the one box. Smile
- For Android using WMP (Jarvis) a seperate, external TvHeadend server (ODROID C1 + Dual PS3 PlayTV DVB-T) had to be used.
- Excellent quality hardware deinterlacing
- Is a joy to use, once setup, makes for a cheap, pretty powerful PVR, Dual Tuners recommended tho.
- For me 7 day, dynamically updated Over the Air - DVB-T, EIT (Event Information Table) sourced - Grid Style EPG, all automatic
- Simple Timer Recordings can be setup with 2 or 3 presses of the remote using the Grid EPG.
- Comprehensive search functions and recording setup functions. Smart Automatic recordings as well (use this a lot)
- Red button access's Recordings list
- Green Pulls up the EPG and so on....
- Only PVR minus is No Live PVR Timeshifting - but you can playback content whilst it is still recording.

AML Android Kodi Krypton Beta + TvHeadend client:

- looks like its using poor quality Bob deinterlacing - stuttering & blocky - possibly using Software deinterlacing only and running out of CPU grunt.
- Android Mediacodec sucks at deinterlacing, see issues the Shield and FireTV has at the moment with deinterlacing and Mediacodec as well.
- I personally hate the new default TV interface layout with a passion, luckily new Skins will fix that, I'm not a fan of default Estuary Skin.
- I really have not gone any further due to the broken deinterlacing and stuttering playback.

AML LibreELEC devel. Kodi Krypton Beta + TvHeadend client:

- Last time I tested deinterlacing was a bit broken with same symptoms as above.
- Fractional refresh rates 23.976/29.97/59.94fps had bad video sync (the 41 second video frame upset issue, even after refresh switching)

- Android Lollipop + Kodi Krypton on AMLogic was a LOT better for (non TV content) video sync, provided you have decent Android Firmware underneath.

EDIT: the TV streaming & Deinterlacing Issues have turned out to be a bug in TvHeadend Client Addon with Kodi Krypton Beta.
Playing direct from the TV Servers HDD in Kodi Krypton without using TvHeadend Addon, at first glance appears to have no problems hardware deinterlacing 1920x1080i H264 content. However it appears there is no Full Motion video playback (two Footballs showing during fast action scenes) Sad

W.

Would be nice to have tvheadend helper from wetek core android on play 2 android :-)
I think until the Play 2s comes out I'm gonna get the original Play, overwrite Android with LibreElec and setup live TV in Kodi as I want an all in one box and Kodi just ticks all the right boxes for me.
WeTek Play2: A/V Performance & TV/DVR (ATSC) Review
(Updated October 17, 2016)

Overall Verdict: B
(WeTek's TV app needs serious functionality & UX improvements, but for live TV viewing & A/V playback, Play2 is mostly good)
(Based on firmware WeOS v1.3)
  • A/V performance: B+ (occasional stability issues w/HD audio, and occasional lip synch error w/live TV)
  • TV/DVR app: C+ (clunky; needs work)
  • User experience (UX) overall: B- (Only somewhat intuitive. Reading up, researching on Kodi & WeTek forums really a must)
  • Value for money: B ($124 approx)
  • Support: B+
Disclaimer: The ratings above are both objective and subjective (but, ultimately subjective). A media player will either pass or fail A/V tests, but for PQ, I rely on my eyeballs Smile. The opinions expressed in this review are solely mine, not Kodi foundation’s, and not any kind of a consensus grade. I never let manufacturers influence what I write.

watch gallery

Overview:

My focus for this review is primarily A/V playback performance, followed by usability of the WeTV app for over-the-air (OTA) (USA ATSC) TV viewing and recording. I won't be testing OpenELEC or LibreELEC as the real appeal of Play2 is under Android, with the combined WeTek Media Player (Kodi fork) coupled with its plug-and-play live TV/DVR solution w/o need for backend PVR w/any kind (nor a complicated set-up). In the U.S., Android TV boxes with DVR's are few and far between. I can only think of Aura Live (now defunct), SkyStream ONE and Geniatech boxes. Haven't tried any of them due to poor ratings or lack of decent reviews.

Big thanks to WeTek for sending me a Play2 unit (ATSC version) for review.

A/V Performance:

I relied on WeTek's latest firmware WeOS v1.3 for this review, with WeTek Media Player (WMP) 16.1-Jarvis-WeTekMediaPlayer-v5 for a/v tests. WMP is WeTek's own customized fork of Kodi 16.1 for optimal performance out of its AMLogic S905-based boxes (Play2 and Hub).

For tests below, please note that not all types are claimed as being officially supported by WeTek. But, as Kodi A/V enthusiasts, we expect (or at least wish) any media player would support everything. These are the recommeded video settings I used.

WeTek's TV/DVR App:

The app's wizard, upon first use, was straightforward for scanning for ATSC over-the-air channels in my area using default settings. But, using the TV app itself is clunky, and takes getting used to. Still, being in the U.S. and having such limited choices for Android boxes with OTA TV/DVR capabilities, a box like Play2 is a welcome solution.

I say the WeTV app is clunky for a couple of reasons:
  • It crases randomly (occasionally)
  • The functionality options shown and settings are cryptic, hard to decipher. The manual posted online helps however
  • The remote (which I'll cover in a bit) is unintuitive with the TV app. It's easy to press a button on the inner D-pad ring when you actually want to press something on the outer ring, and vice versa
  • Some menu options in the TV app knock you out to the main UI (a crash), and you have to re-launch it. This is especially the case when trying to record an upcoming show via a channel's EPG (more on this in a bit)

The nice part is that TV quality looks great, with proper deinterlacing. Channels broadcasting in 480i, 720p and 1080i all look very good. Audio, both 2.0 and 5.1 source, both sound great. The only issue is that channels broadcasting in 1080i have a slight lip synch issue (audio behind video). But, quitting out and re-launching the TV app fixes lip synch. Or, channel up and back down also fixes it. Actual recordings are fine, with no lip synch issues.

Clicking on an upcoming show in a channel's EPG does nothing, and in fact freezes and eventually crashes the TV app (see my video above). (WeTek has asked me to send them a dubug log on this, which I'll need to do.) Scheduling recordings manually is a pain as you have to go to the TV app's settings, choose the schedule function and input the necessary values (like channel, time start/end, etc.) to create the timer. You can change the recording location from the default internal flash storage (which has only around 4GB or less available) to an attached USB hard drive or (if mounted) your NAS. I chose USB as I couldn't figure out WeTek's Net Mounter app (it's difficult to use).

Finally, you can create a "boutique" of channels, basically your list of favoite channels. But, the EPG is a real shortcoming for now. You can only bring up the EPG on the highlighted channel while in the default or boutique channel list. You can't get to the EPG with a quick single-button press while you're watching that channel, and overall it's very limited as just a flat list of upcoming shows.

Hopefully, WeTek will put some real effort into the TV app. Don't think any of us are expecting TiVo quality, but making it easier to use, more intuitive, with improved fuctionality to address the gaps I've noted, would make Play2 a real value-added Android box for the U.S. market. Especially for cord cutters who've gone (or are going) OTA in big numbers.

The Remote Control:

The remote is more full functional type than the one included with the Hub. Its range, responsiveness are noticeably better as well. What I want more out of WeTek's remote and even media boxes' UI overall are better labeled buttons or icons, and detailed manuals (like that for WeTV, and easier to find on WeTek's site). I can appreciate WeTek's stance on simplicity, but when I'm (and I bet most users are) looking at buttons or icons, if we can't figure out what does what fairly quickly or easily, it's a little frustrating. Minimalism can be nice, but has to be balanced with intuitive.

Wrap-Up:

I love WeTek the company, but for a serious A/V enthusiast wanting a solid media box w/DVR, Play2 (at least the ATSC version, w/OTA use) isn't quite ready for primetime yet. I mean this w/DVR use, as for just live TV viewing and on-the-spot recording, it's fine. But, if you didn't need the integrated TV/DVR part, you'd be better off w/the Hub. Play2 is a really promising combo box for sure, and I hope (and expect) WeTek will get it to where it needs to be for mass appeal.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
WMP is preinstalled, actually v5 with the suggested patches from wrxtasy for the memory leak

Scheduling a recording from an event existing in the epg (EPG -> Click on the event -> click on record):

https://s16.postimg.org/keu6arnol/e37e26...edc375.jpg

If you have no details from the EPG I cannot figure out any other way of scheduling a recording (beside the future where this will also be integrated in the web interface) but providing an easy accessible way of doing it using the dpad without ever touching the mouse:

https://s10.postimg.org/uu0cw5e89/e981d8...cfc759.jpg
https://s12.postimg.org/mhfobj0ql/e1b798...68ad8f.jpg

Starting a recording immediately (record button, the default duration can be changed from settings, or on the fly from the dialog before starting the recording):

https://s21.postimg.org/i4tdjah87/c7d103...2ec74a.jpg

Changing recording storage path:

https://s17.postimg.org/z5x9qpmvj/4c3e98...56ce28.jpg
https://s15.postimg.org/3xur4kqe3/5071d0...153708.jpg

edit: speaking of the recording, they are executed in the background, meaning you can leave the player, do your business, etc and they will just keep going, when something is recording you have a notification visible in the launcher:

https://s21.postimg.org/pjffwlg2f/f3b935...be1517.jpg

For the EPG a grid style view is currently under development, moreover a shortcut on one of Play 2's buttons to bring it up from live tv. But the current epg per channel view does not force you to open EPG per each channel, you can just press left/right to change the channel for which you are watching the EPG, it is not you have to access them one by one by leaving and entering the other one

About audio pt, it is supposed to work just like on hub (same sdk), I don't want that the build server started giving out lemons again... can you just check that in android settings you have hdmi selected for the audio? Because at each update some uboot env variables (audio preference is one of them) are resetted

If you need any other help/hint I am here Wink
Thx. for that CT. Smile

hdmkv, is using an old version of WMP - 16.1-Jarvis-WeTekMediaPlayer-v3, pls post a download link for v5.

The other Tip is when you are in a Channel "What On Now and Next" list - click Left and Right to flick to other "What On Now and Next" Channel lists.

(2016-09-18, 23:58)hdmkv Wrote: What I want more out of WeTek's remote and even media boxes' UI overall are better labeled buttons or icons, and detailed manuals (like that for WeTV, and easier to find on WeTek's site). I can appreciate WeTek's stance on simplicity, but when I'm (and I bet most users are) looking at buttons or icons, if we can't figure out what does what fairly quickly or easily, it's a little frustrating. Minimalism can be nice, but has to be balanced with intuitive or explained enough.
I cannot agree more with this statement, its especially imperative if you are implementing complex PVR functionality in a media player to make it as easy as possible. I'm confused and frustrated, straight out of the gate with this WeTV App and I'm an experienced Kodi user.

CT > Can we please have the Big Red remote button remapped to simply access the Recordings archive ?
Same with the Big Green Button - this should be a quick EPG pullup button (Channel EPG at the moment till Grid Style EPG implemented)

There are too many button pressings required to activate simple functions.
The simple EPG recordings function, you have shown above needs at least 6 remote button pressings to record a program, I've just counted !
I would not call the button pressings required intuitive.

A very nice function some time down the track would be to implement a feature so users can Remap this remote to their own liking, like Kodi's Keymap Editor Addon.

I'm sure there will be improvements to the WeTV App coming down the pipe from WeTek (there already have been some). Improvements and simplification for every day commonly used Functions should be given priority.

Green is subtitle track selection, as in E2. It will be mapped to another button. But I'd like to state that it is not a "now/next" epg, it is a fully featured epg if the stream provides it in a standard way.

The epg is currently mapped to a button (but only on the qwerty remote), that is not a problem though and a very easy addition, we just have to think about which button would be best. Imho the best would be the one below the down dpad (the one looking like 4 squares), the same for recordings, here the red button will probably be used (pvr on the qwerty remote)

Btw, recordings now (in the dev app) already have a launcher action so you can also assign them to a favourite in the launcher in case you just want to quick access to recordings
I'm going to disagree with you here regarding button mapping selection.

I simply, and likely other Play2 buyers coming to the platform frankly don't care what E2 stands for. I don't even know what it is to be honest with you. Leave whatever legacy stuff you are talking about behind and concentrate on this platform Play2 pls.

We want simplicity. Please tell my why is a Green button at all intuitive for Subtitles in the English language ?
G = Guide = EPG. C'mon simplicity please !

No idea what qwerty remote you are talking about, or is WeTek about to offer buyers a RF qwerty Air Mouse combo remote ?

As you already know yes, and very soon.

I might disagree with you as most of people making use of DVB products are still considering E2 THE software and this cannot be underestimated.
The world is not only english... for example in Italian guide is "guida" but green is "verde".
Whatever you do you will not please everyone so decisions will have to be made.
Well then we now get into remote button WeTV customisation. Is that going to be implemented down the track ?
Users will then be silenced when they can map what they want easily Wink

You are on a Kodi forum talking to PVR users here. Is E2 the target user market or Kodi users ?
There seem to be mixed messages emanating from WeTek HQ at the moment.

The best way for us is create app for remap buttons . Everyone will be happy :-) you should think about it @CT
the way that android is designed makes such thing not as easy as it is on kodi for example, it could be done but will be a hell of a job, currently there are actually much more urgent things to take care of, in the future... maybe.
@CT and @wrxtasy, thanks... will return to testing this week with the latest (proper) version of WMP (just downloaded here) and your WeTV tips.

If Play2 is basically the Hub, with ATSC TV/DVR for U.S. and Canada, which it looks to be, it's going to be a winner (again, as such combo devices, especially anything halfway decent, are rare in these parts). After a full review later, I'll compile a list of links and key tips/tricks so it's all in one place for users.
My HT
Just a small question,
Post#1 and WeTek page say that it is WiFi 802.11b/g/n where as the datasheet of AP6335 (as per WeTek page this is the used chipset) shows that this 802.11b/g/n/ac.
Is the chipset referenced on WeTek page wrong? or is the description wrong?
(2016-09-19, 08:29)ChristianTroy Wrote: Scheduling a recording from an event existing in the epg (EPG -> Click on the event -> click on record):

https://s16.postimg.org/keu6arnol/e37e26...edc375.jpg

Changing recording storage path:

https://s17.postimg.org/z5x9qpmvj/4c3e98...56ce28.jpg
https://s15.postimg.org/3xur4kqe3/5071d0...153708.jpg

If you need any other help/hint I am here Wink
For EPG, as I'm relying on PSIP data as provided by each OTA channel, I assume it shouldn't matter in my being able to click on a channel's upcoming show and get the recording screen similar to what you posted? I recall doing this here and nothing happening, but will try again.

For recording storage path, do the external USB drive and/or NAS location need to be mounted first, for them to appear on the list like you have it? Mine looks like this now. If so, how or where do you do this?
My HT
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11