• 43(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
DTS-HRA / MA / X are broken with WMP 16.1 v.5 right? I made sure I had latest OTA f/w 1.2 and uninstalled whatever WMP 16.1 I had, and installed 16.1-Jarvis-WeTekMediaPlayer-v5.apk.

DD+ / TrueHD / ATMOS do work, but not DTS HD. I get no audio. Was hoping to do a fresh re-review of Play2 with a video demo as well. Going to wait, and removed my original review for now.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-09-19, 14:06)melhemk Wrote: Just a small question,
Post#1 and WeTek page say that it is WiFi 802.11b/g/n where as the datasheet of AP6335 (as per WeTek page this is the used chipset) shows that this 802.11b/g/n/ac.
Is the chipset referenced on WeTek page wrong? or is the description wrong?

Sorry to raise this again, but nobody answered this. Appreciate any confirmation.

Edit:- here is the link to the Datasheet of AP6335 (Link).
Its definitely a AP6330 WiFi chip on the Play2 so Dual Band 802.11b/g/n WiFi - as per Post #1

So the Play2 product Webpage is slightly incorrect.

@ned Scott or droidELEC, please change the Play2 advertising page to correct AP6330 WiFi info.

(2016-10-03, 15:50)wrxtasy Wrote: Its definitely a AP6330 WiFi chip on the Play2 so Dual Band 802.11b/g/n WiFi - as per Post #1

@ned Scott or droidELEC, please change the Play2 advertising page to correct AP6330 WiFi info.

Thank you for the reply.
(2016-10-03, 15:50)wrxtasy Wrote: Its definitely a AP6330 WiFi chip on the Play2 so Dual Band 802.11b/g/n WiFi - as per Post #1

I'm confused. Do you mean it needs to also say dual band?
Looks like it has already been fixed, to (AP6330) BUT if melhemk want to get anal about it again it should be :

Supported Wi-Fi: 2.4/5 GHz (AP6330)

not

Supported Wi-Fi: 2.4/5 Ghz (AP6330)

Big Grin

(2016-10-05, 17:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Looks like it has already been fixed, to (AP6330) BUT if melhemk want to get anal about it again it should be :

Supported Wi-Fi: 2.4/5 GHz (AP6330)

not

Supported Wi-Fi: 2.4/5 Ghz (AP6330)

Big Grin
Hahahahaha there is only one correct way to represent Hertz which is Hz not HZ or hz Wink

And it wasn't about being anal, more about wishing that the posts here were wrong and it being 802.11acSadSad
Updated my review, based on WeOS 1.3 here. Will add a video tour tomorrow.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Got to agree with the your review hdmkv. Especially regarding the WeTV functionality. (updated Post #1 with your review as well)

Some improvements to the WeTV App in the last month:
  • high Frequency popping sounds have disappeared if using Android PCM Audio
  • the doubling up of Programme listings has been fixed
  • DVB drivers seem to have improved
  • Channel changing (zapping) speed is now quicker.

I'm still finding these issues in the WeTv App:
  • Bad audio sync drift if Android HDMI Audio is selected in settings - so no Audio Passthrough usable with the App (use PCM only)
  • No 7 day EIT EPG data is being pulled in from Over the Air Terrestrial TV signals (works in TvHeadend)
  • Unintuitive Remote control buttons used, where is my Green button for EPG ? (I frankly don't care about legacy Enigma users)
  • Still unable to add Channel Logos
  • Excess button pressing needed to access basic functions. Its not intuitive.
  • Deeply nested Menus that have to be used to access day to day functions are not a good idea.
  • The lack of a Grid style 7 day EPG - a LOT of easy Scheduling, Recording and Programme Info can very easily be pulled up with this style of EPG
    In fact it would solve a bunch of usability problems in the process.
I've been told a grid style EPG is coming. I just don't know when. But the WeTV App end user functionality compared to the easy day to day use functionality of say of Kodi and TvHeadend has a long way to go. I personally can only bear to use WeTV for occasional, casual TV viewing and that is it at the moment.

Want a user released Android TV OS ROM for the Play2 with some basic PVR functionality like Live Channels & timeshift working with the Play2's internal tuner ?

Even Netflix 5.1 Audio is a strong possibility. Smile

Discussion taking place HERE

(2016-10-07, 04:55)wrxtasy Wrote: Got to agree with the your review hdmkv. Especially regarding the WeTV functionality. (updated Post #1 with your review as well)

Some improvements to the WeTV App in the last month:
  • high Frequency popping sounds have disappeared if using Android PCM Audio
  • the doubling up of Programme listings has been fixed
  • DVB drivers seem to have improved
  • Channel changing (zapping) speed is now quicker.

I'm still finding these issues in the WeTv App:
  • Bad audio sync drift if Android HDMI Audio is selected in settings - so no Audio Passthrough usable with the App (use PCM only)
  • No 7 day EIT EPG data is being pulled in from Over the Air Terrestrial TV signals (works in TvHeadend)
  • Unintuitive Remote control buttons used, where is my Green button for EPG ? (I frankly don't care about legacy Enigma users)
  • Still unable to add Channel Logos
  • Excess button pressing needed to access basic functions. Its not intuitive.
  • Deeply nested Menus that have to be used to access day to day functions are not a good idea.
  • The lack of a Grid style 7 day EPG - a LOT of easy Scheduling, Recording and Programme Info can very easily be pulled up with this style of EPG
    In fact it would solve a bunch of usability problems in the process.
I've been told a grid style EPG is coming. I just don't know when. But the WeTV App end user functionality compared to the easy day to day use functionality of say of Kodi and TvHeadend has a long way to go. I personally can only bear to use WeTV for occasional, casual TV viewing and that is it at the moment.

Want a user released Android TV OS ROM for the Play2 with some basic PVR functionality like Live Channels & timeshift working with the Play2's internal tuner ?

Even Netflix 5.1 Audio is a strong possibility. Smile

Discussion taking place HERE
Looks good, very much looking forward to it.

It does raise a good point - why put all the effort into wetv when you can just use live channels in Android tv? You could even get TVHeadend running on the background (like the core) to handle the tv tuning etc.

I've used live channels on the shield on and off and it's almost very good - it just seems a bit flaky, though this could be the back ends I've used.

Edit - saying that, I remember trying a custom Android TV ROM on my Play 1 - it wasn't good...
Currently Netflix with 5.1 is the only thing between me and the play2... and lack of in depths reviews with screenshots/videos of different apps so I can get an idea about the user interface experience
(2016-10-07, 08:37)tredman Wrote: Edit - saying that, I remember trying a custom Android TV ROM on my Play 1 - it wasn't good...
The AMLogic S905 is perfectly capable and pretty snappy running an Android TV OS image from eMMC. In fact it sort of feels faster than a regular Android Lollipop 5.1.1 box. Maybe its the GUI that feels easier to use.

I have been playing around with this on an old AML S905 development board, tech specs virtually identical to a MINIX U1. No DRM on this hacker board, so an image for a certified DRM and Netflix approved device like the Play2 will be interesting. Smile

From the WeTek Play2 Sub Forum:
ricardopvz Wrote:Just an update on my Android TV ROM (for Play2)

I finally have Netflix working with 5.1 audio through SPDIF and HDMI!!.....

I will open a new thread when I release it, maybe in a few days.

So there's a play s2 in the works? Any word on that?

yes that's right
(2016-10-11, 15:47)wapvi Wrote: So there's a play s2 in the works? Any word on that?

yes that's right

Same as before. The Play 2S, with some improved specs over the Play 2, is due out in early 2017.
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11