• 54(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
Updated to WEOS 2.0 yesterday hoping it would sort out the problems of WEOS 1.4 freezing almost daily, but after the update all I have is a black screen after the WEOS animation. Mailed support yesterday evening but so far I have had no reply, not impressed with this update! :-(
(2016-12-22, 13:22)Chris P Bacon Wrote: Updated to WEOS 2.0 yesterday hoping it would sort out the problems of WEOS 1.4 freezing almost daily, but after the update all I have is a black screen after the WEOS animation. Mailed support yesterday evening but so far I have had no reply, not impressed with this update! :-(

WeOS 2.0 may be a little more stable than 1.4 , but for me worthless because the problems with the incorrect EPG data using the ATSC tuner. The good thing is the latest LibreElec (7.9.09 ?) with TvHeadend 4.2 seems to work with the (WeTek) ATSC tuner - I am using a FLIRC usb receiver set up as a keyboard controller with most of the buttons we might need. We have Libreelec on a msd card with Dual boot and although I find very little joy using WeOS; I am not ready to give up on WeOS as they do keep releasing updates. Currently LibeElec/kodi is nicer and easier to use. However if WeTek ever gets WeOS, kodi, and the ATSC tuners all working correctly, WeOS may be better, especially for streaming services like Netflix.

I do not much about it, but if I had your box I would download the "Clean Install" files and do a clean installation of the firmware using the reset button. The Wetek forums has instructions on how to do it.
(2016-12-23, 18:28)Pajoe Wrote: I do not much about it, but if I had your box I would download the "Clean Install" files and do a clean installation of the firmware using the reset button. The Wetek forums has instructions on how to do it.
Thanks, I had already tried that with a clean install of 2.0 without success prior to posting here. Wetek have now released a new update 2,0,1 which I have now installed and which solves the problem.
It's good you have your Play 2 working again, I never had the problem with the black screen. I had previously gone back to 1.3, maybe that had something to do with our Play 2 making an event free upgrade? I must have upgraded to 2.01 yesterday when I installed the classic launcher. I did not check the details or spend a lot of time with it after the upgrades. I re-scanned the ATSC channels hoping the EPG would be fixed but after letting it sit for a couple hours on a channel, realized nothing was fixed, booted back to LibreElec. Our main set top player is a Chromebox with LibreElec, and the WeTek Play2 will go for hours/days without any attention from us.
Hi,

thank you very much for this excellent thread. I just ordered one of these Play 2 and to be honest it's not really easy to find out what to use for best results. So may I ask some questions just to confirm:

- To use Apps like Netflix you have to use unofficial Android TV (From Wetek custom roms) to have best results. I still have WEOS 2.01 installed and Netflix stutters like hell and does not allow remote controlling
with Custom room this should be fixed right?
- Best Kodi release would be SPMC (release 16.5.4 as far as I see), correct? I install Kodi 17 (Beta 7) on WEOS 2.01 and due to issues with hardware support (I guess) some video codec are not support.
E.G. German TV Streams (H.264 1080i)
- This SPMC release also support H.265 10bit right on Play 2?

If this all would work i give it a try on the other hand I wonder if it would make more sense to buy a FireTV 4K and simple install SPMC there. At least I would have an official support of Amazon prime and Netflix app, right? But I am not sure about the 10bit H.265 support maybe that's the difference.

Appreciate your help :-)

Thanks

Alex
The WeTek Hub thread has the recommended WeTek OS / WeTek Media Player setup. The same setup applies for Lollipop on the WeTek Play2.

Some observations that apply to all AMLogic devices, no matter who the device seller:
  • Android Kodi Krypton has removed amcodec, which was widely used for hardware deinterlacing for OTA TV. Hardware deinterlacing is broken for Android Krypton on AMLogic devices.
  • AMLogic Marshmallow Firmware has broken 10bit HEVC decoding. Android Lollipop is fine.
  • Android Kodi 1080p > 2160p (4K) auto resolution switching is broken and has been for quite a while now. You need to manually switch to 2160p in Android OS settings before viewing 2160p content.
  • LibreELEC Kodi has all the above working properly, both with Jarvis and Krypton
  • LibreELEC memory leak issues are in the process of being fixed by using 32bit userspace compiles.
  • AMLogic themselves need to fix their broken mediacodec going forward for full Android Kodi Krypton compatibility.

Thanks a lot for all the information :-)

I installed Libreelec (.10 Beta). In general it works however it has some stuttering in 2060P 10Bit HEVC (maybe the memory Leak you mentioned ?

I think we have to wait a view more month till reliable solutions are on the market.

Thanks

Alex
Dear friends,happy new year.
I am interested in Wetek play 2,but i want to ask, if you can use a VPN application on the Android platform (like Opera VPN,IPVanish etc).
A friend bought a zidoo X9S box and NO Vpn application works (paid or free)!
I have a Minix X8-H plus now that i use VPN applications(for geotagging) and i am looking for an upgrade with Wetek Play 2.
Has anyone tried any VPN application?
Thank you!
(2016-12-29, 01:07)wrxtasy Wrote: The WeTek Hub thread has the recommended WeTek OS / WeTek Media Player setup. The same setup applies for Lollipop on the WeTek Play2.
[*]AMLogic themselves need to fix their broken mediacodec going forward for full Android Kodi Krypton compatibility.[/list]

According to this in the release notes of RC1
Martijn Kaijser Wrote:One of the last custom implementation we had was Amlogic related code which was the device were it all started with Kodi on Android. We had to resolve to this custom implementation back then to acces certain hardware parts which Android officially couldn’t yet. Due to this legacy and how we had things implemented we couldn’t switch this off just yet in past releases. Over the past months with the help of MINIX we have been working closely with the Amlogic to get everything in order and we can say Android Marshmallow and onward will have the best experience possible for devices containing these chipsets. Amlogic even went as far as adding the IEC61937 audio passthrough back into Android Marshmallow which normally is only available since Android Nougat. We would certainly like to thank Amlogic and MINIX for going to this extend of cooperation making the experience and support of Kodi on Android a bit better. Now Amlogic has done their part on proving a good bases it’s up to manufacturers and vendors to supply updates for their devices over coming months. We are certain that manufacturers with good support will send out these updates as soon as they are ready. What does this mean for you regular users? Mostly we kept the proper support for devices running Android 5 Lollipop and you shouldn’t notice any real difference. Should your device receive the newer Android 6 Marshmallow you will gain these improvements mentioned above. For devices using other chipsets we don’t really know but we are hoping they will follow.

Everything with mediacodec is fixed in Android MM and onwards?
Right?
Any update on the Play 2S release dates?
the play 2 have any problem playing x265 1080p rips? my chromebox does it but doesnt seem to like it
It support playback up to 4K@60Hz 10-bit HEVC, so yes it is supported 1080p 10-bit HEVC.
is the play 2 the most powerfull between it and the core or hub?
In sense of media playback capabilities, Play 2 and Hub are same, except that Play 2 have tuner feature while Hub dont have.

Core have support for 8-bit HEVC playback, so I guess it is not right choice for you.

Play 2 have 2 GB RAM while Hub have 1 GB.
The Core however has the best remote control for interacting with regular touchscreen Android Apps. Its Wireless and nicely responsive.

You will have to buy an additional Wireless Air Mouse or touchpad Keyboard to use touchscreen Apps properly on the Hub / Play2. Just as you would for all other touchscreen OS Android boxes.

Its one of the reasons why Google has released the remote control, user friendly Android TV OS. You only need a simple D-Pad remote for use with Apps on that OS. However even on those ATV OS devices, if you Sideload - regular, touchscreen Android Apps, guess what additional remote control hardware you have to buy ?

Kodi / WePlayer and LibreELEC Kodi control is fine with any remote.

• 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11