• 55(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
can someone help me to decide between wetek play2 vs minix neo u1 (plus vs cons)? tks
Ask yourself do you need any of these:

- A limited single Tuner with basic PVR features ?
- Proper DRM Licences to be able to stream 720/1080p video from Netflix, HBO and other paid for streaming services ?
- An easy to use Dual Boot function for Android & LibreELEC Kodi use ?
- The ability to flash extra ROM's like an unofficial Android TV OS one.

Be aware, I still consider the Android PVR - WeTV Software - WeTek are using in the Play2 as Beta. Its not that user friendly either. You are not buying a commercial grade DVR / PVR here with all manner of features.

Also be aware to use regular touchscreen Android Apps properly on the Play2 you need to purchase a seperate Wireless Air Mouse remote or Touchpad Keyboard. WeTek expect you to purchase this separately.
And No they do not even make available a compatible Wireless Air Mouse remote for the Hub or Play2 like MINIX do - disappointingly Sad

i'm using it especially for kodi and playback local content from external hdd. the most important factors would be stability and picture quality, pvr and tv's capabilities will be a bonus
Yes you will be fine then with the Play2.

Even if you do not like the Android OS and Android Kodi, there is a very nice LibreELEC Kodi Krypton version under testing that will work really well.
The suggestion for LibreELEC Kodi is to run it from a Samsung EVO or Sandisk Class 10 UHS-1 micro SDHC card, these have the best performance.
Budget for one of those, even 16GB will be plenty. Smile

(2017-01-23, 08:45)dan_daniel250 Wrote: i'm using it especially for kodi and playback local content from external hdd. the most important factors would be stability and picture quality, pvr and tv's capabilities will be a bonus

I am far from an expert but do own a Play 2 for about 3 months now. WeTek does seem to be working on it but the ATSC tuner for USA it is not working as advertised yet in version 2.02. Yes it gets channels and yes you can record a single channel but the electronic program data part is not working, you need to go to the channel and figure out what is on, much like you did back in the analog tv days. The Play 2 has potential and if they get it working correctly it will be a pretty good box. Unlike our Chromebox or even RPI2 we can not/do not use our Play 2 on a regular basis yet. For short periods, LibreElec Alpha, tvheadend 4.2 and the latest zap2xml addon does seem to work pretty good, we have it installed on a Sandisk class 10 UHS -1 micro sd card that costs about $11 USA.
tks for the help, i thought (from some reviews) that u1 is superior than wp2
(2017-01-23, 10:29)Pajoe Wrote: LibreElec Alpha, tvheadend 4.2 and the latest zap2xml addon does seem to work pretty good, we have it installed on a Sandisk class 10 UHS -1 micro sd card that costs about $11 USA.
You need to be using this LE Beta Kodi Krypton RC test version. There are a LOT of video sync and codec playback bug fixes in it. Its far far superior to what you are using in that Alpha version:

LibreELEC 8 community Play2 64bit kernel, 32bit libs

wrxtasy/Pajoe can you watch through hdmi and av simultaneously?
i asked wetek suport and the answer is NO.
(2017-01-24, 19:48)dan_daniel250 Wrote: i asked wetek suport and the answer is NO.

I could not find a way to check it for you , we use the hdmi out to our a/v receiver and from there the video signal it is sent via hdmi to our plasma TV or led projector depending on the video and/or mood at the time.
I am interested in getting a wetek play 2 and had a question about the web interface.

I was planning on having play2 connected to a surround av receiver via HDMI and then the receiver connected to a projector. I also want the play2 to be connected to a NAS with all my music.

My question is can I use the web interface to then play music? How easy would it then be to choose playlists and artists etc. I was hoping I could then play music without the need to turn my projector on. Will the web interface only work when booted into android or will it also work in libreelec?

If this isn't possible am I better off getting an odroid and connecting it to both the projector (via the receiver) and a small touchscreen? I could then use kodi on the touchscreen to choose music etc?

Thanks

Sent from my 6039Y
It will not matter what OS you are using...

Control Kodi via its Web Server:

Yatse:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Yatse

And then you have the Web Interfaces that can control Kodi:

Chorus:
https://kodi.tv/a-new-webinterface-called-chorus2/

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=156

(2017-01-25, 14:50)wrxtasy Wrote: It will not matter what OS you are using...

Control Kodi via its Web Server:

Yatse:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Yatse

And then you have the Web Interfaces that can control Kodi:

Chorus:
https://kodi.tv/a-new-webinterface-called-chorus2/

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=156
Brilliant. Thanks. I did not know abouth these options!

Sent from my 6039Y
i a few days i will receive a wetek play 2 - i plan on installing it with a dual boot with libreelec on an sd card.
I got the app from librelec to install the image from - what is the next step is there a guide on installing the dual boot somewhere ?

I'm also very curious on how the dual boot works do you get to chose when you start up the wetek between android or libre or does libre starts automatically when the the card is plugged in?
Does anyone know when the WP 2S with 2 tuners will be available?
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
  • 55(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11