• 56(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
(2017-01-29, 17:34)darksaint Wrote: i a few days i will receive a wetek play 2 - i plan on installing it with a dual boot with libreelec on an sd card.
I got the app from librelec to install the image from - what is the next step is there a guide on installing the dual boot somewhere ?

I'm also very curious on how the dual boot works do you get to chose when you start up the wetek between android or libre or does libre starts automatically when the the card is plugged in?

If I remember correctly:

On the WeTek Play 2 we have it was really easy to use dual boot. . With ours, it was more or less automatic, after the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator writes LibreElec to the microsd card we placed it in the the WeTek Play 2 micro sd card slot and pressed the Wetek remote power button to turn it on - as it boots up a message will be displayed to press the power button to boot the sd card - on ours we get this screen twice and both times we press the power button. If you miss it, just select reboot and get it on the next reboot. You only need to press the remote power button during boot up when you want to switch between internal nand and the micro sd card, it will continue to boot that way by default until you switch it back. As long as you have a card in the WeTek sd card slot you will get the option to switch to nand or sd card

We have linux so we used the linux version of the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator program to make the sd card, so I can not verify it will be exactly the same as the LibreElec windows version to create a usb-sd disk. I have LibreElec on more than one card, and can easily switch from the LibreElec Alpha to the Raybuntu version, just by switching the cards when it is powered down.
(2017-01-29, 21:48)Pajoe Wrote:
(2017-01-29, 17:34)darksaint Wrote: i a few days i will receive a wetek play 2 - i plan on installing it with a dual boot with libreelec on an sd card.
I got the app from librelec to install the image from - what is the next step is there a guide on installing the dual boot somewhere ?

I'm also very curious on how the dual boot works do you get to chose when you start up the wetek between android or libre or does libre starts automatically when the the card is plugged in?

If I remember correctly:

On the WeTek Play 2 we have it was really easy to use dual boot. . With ours, it was more or less automatic, after the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator writes LibreElec to the microsd card we placed it in the the WeTek Play 2 micro sd card slot and pressed the Wetek remote power button to turn it on - as it boots up a message will be displayed to press the power button to boot the sd card - on ours we get this screen twice and both times we press the power button. If you miss it, just select reboot and get it on the next reboot. You only need to press the remote power button during boot up when you want to switch between internal nand and the micro sd card, it will continue to boot that way by default until you switch it back. As long as you have a card in the WeTek sd card slot you will get the option to switch to nand or sd card

We have linux so we used the linux version of the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator program to make the sd card, so I can not verify it will be exactly the same as the LibreElec windows version to create a usb-sd disk. I have LibreElec on more than one card, and can easily switch from the LibreElec Alpha to the Raybuntu version, just by switching the cards when it is powered down.

Sound really easy thanx for the reply :-)
(2017-01-29, 23:47)darksaint Wrote: Sound really easy thanx for the reply :-)

LibreElec was easy, and works with the ATSC tuner. On the other hand setting up and actually using WeOS continues to be most difficult part for me, especially with the remote that comes with the WeTek Play 2. We have ours about 3 months now and even with WeOS 2.02 it still does not have a working epg using the ATSC (terrestrial) tuner, but they say they are working on fixing it.
my wetek is connected to my yamaha soundbar ysp-5600 mostly everything is working but i have an issue regarding the sound i can't get it to passthough on atmos and dts-x it only shows that it is decoding truehd sound ?
Hi all
I'm a user of the Wetek Core device, but I'm evaluating the possibility to move to the Wetek Play 2 (WP2).
The main reason is the possibility to record TV programs and (maybe) the possibility in the next future to have Netflix HD with 5.1 audio streams.

1) Recording TV programs
Having a built-in tuner WP2 seems the more natural choice. A possible alternative maintaining the Core would be (correct me if I'm wrong) to buy an USB-Tuner to plug in the Core, boot from Librelec and the ninstalling and configuring TvHeadEnd Server and Client.. This would be an alternative, but forces a reboot anytime I want to use other Android apps (Netflix, Rai Play, ecc.ecc.).
OK, backing to WP2, I read that the recording can be made through the WeTV Android app. The problem for me is where to store the recordings. I have a Synology NAS in my LAN (used for media repository and as primary media source for Kodi), and I'like to configure WeTV in order to store recordings into a shared folder of the NAS. Is it possible, or the only change out of the internal limited memory is to attach a USB-HDD to WP2?

2) NetflixHD with multichannel audio (5.1)
Today using Core, I'm able to stream movies from Netflix, but unfortunately only with 2.0 audio. As far as I know, it depends of the underlying Android version, that due to the used amlogic SOC cannot be upgraded to Android 6.0 (mandatory to manage multichannel audio). So, it seems that the Core NEVER will have the possibility to move towards NF 5.1.
Is it correct?
I'd like to have it, because the HDMI cable out of the Core now is attached to a Marantz AV Receiver, that's manage DTS-MA, DolbyTrueHD and all the others audio coding types.

From the pure performance perspective, should I lost something moving from the Octacore of the Core to the Pentacore od WP2?
Any hints for my questions?

thanks
Be aware of limitations before you start:

The Play2 uses a Single Tuner only. Its really only for casual TV use only because if something is recording and you want to watch a TV channel that is on another MUX its going to be impossible. Then you also have Android to deal with. I'm not a fan of WeTek's new Android (Main Screen) Launcher either. Its too complicated for its own good.

I also still consider the WeTV App itself as Beta Software. There is no comprehensive Automatic EPG support like you would see in TvHeadend, users still report Audio glitches and its really not that user friendly an App. I gave up on it pretty quickly and still use TvHeadend.

Ironically the best TV implementation is found in the Android TV OS ROM from Ricardo because over there you can run TvHeadend in Android and then use Kodi Jarvis to view and record live TV with a friendlier user interface. Android Live Channels also works over there for TV viewing.

Also be aware Kodi Krypton has unreliable meg2 H264 deinterlacing for Live TV when used with TvHeadend. Recorded content seems fine however. You have to use Kodi Jarvis.

There is Netflix 5.1 Audio when using Ricardo's ATV ROM, but its a bit unreliable.
Reliable 5.1 Netflix comes with Android Marshmallow.

If you are serious about TV an external TvHeadend networked server with a Dual Tuner running LibreELEC Kodi makes a better, more flexible TV setup.
Modern Kernels on RPi's and Intel Hardware support all manner of TV Tuners.

You can then setup recording to your NAS. Android just comes with to many limitations once you talk about Networking and external recordings.

Personal opinion these days with AMLogic is Android should be left for Android Apps only. Once you start wanting TV Tuners and Networking and a really nice reliable version of Kodi Krypton where everything works. Then you should be using LibreELEC Kodi.

Easy Dual boot boxes are ideal for this. Smile

(2017-02-22, 12:44)wrxtasy Wrote: Be aware of limitations before you start:

The Play2 uses a Single Tuner only. Its really only for casual TV use only because if something is recording and you want to watch a TV channel that is on another MUX its going to be impossible.....

Ok, but anyway I suppose that while recording a program using WP2 through its single tuner, I can see another one using the TV Tuners (obviously if a antenna cable is connected from WP2-out to TV....

(2017-02-22, 12:44)wrxtasy Wrote: ... Then you also have Android to deal with. I'm not a fan of WeTek's new Android (Main Screen) Launcher either. Its too complicated for its own good.
Me too, I replace it with the old one, simpler and more accepted by family components...

(2017-02-22, 12:44)wrxtasy Wrote: ....Reliable 5.1 Netflix comes with Android Marshmallow.
Yes, I've red about it, and this is one of the reason to move from Core to WP2, because seems that Core cannot be upgraded to Marshmallow in the future due to processor limitation. Is it true?

(2017-02-22, 12:44)wrxtasy Wrote: You can then setup recording to your NAS. Android just comes with to many limitations once you talk about Networking and external recordings.
Ok, so I could setup the recording storage to my NAS, but...how? May I configure a folder using the Wetek NET Mounter App (and the using it inside WETV) or directly configuring inside Librelec (through TvHeadend)?

thanks

P.S. I asked to Wetek why the Core is not anymore available in their Shop. They answer me the is not foreseen to made it available in the next future! Does it mean that it will be retired from the market due to processor limitation (e.g. not possible to upgrade to Marshmallow)? Or simply is a supply chain/production temporary issue? What do you think about?
(2017-02-22, 12:59)mancio61 Wrote:
(2017-02-22, 12:44)wrxtasy Wrote: Be aware of limitations before you start:

The Play2 uses a Single Tuner only. Its really only for casual TV use only because if something is recording and you want to watch a TV channel that is on another MUX its going to be impossible.....

Ok, but anyway I suppose that while recording a program using WP2 through its single tuner, I can see another one using the TV Tuners (obviously if a antenna cable is connected from WP2-out to TV....

Yes that works fine because the OTA TV signal is passed through the OUT tuner socket.

Quote:
(2017-02-22, 12:44)wrxtasy Wrote: ....Reliable 5.1 Netflix comes with Android Marshmallow.
Yes, I've read about it, and this is one of the reason to move from Core to WP2, because seems that Core cannot be upgraded to Marshmallow in the future due to processor limitation. Is it true?

Usually its AMLogic that stop supplying Android OS updates as new Hardware is introduced. You can see the AML Android Software Development Kit cycle here:
http://openlinux.amlogic.com/Android/Mbox

Unsure what exactly is going to happen. No idea what WeTek have planned for future Hub / Play2 Android OS upgrades. We have seen Hub test MM Firmware surface. The Hub / Play2 are very similar to the S905X.

Quote:
(2017-02-22, 12:44)wrxtasy Wrote: You can then setup recording to your NAS. Android just comes with to many limitations once you talk about Networking and external recordings.
Ok, so I could setup the recording storage to my NAS, but...how? May I configure a folder using the Wetek NET Mounter App (and the using it inside WETV) or directly configuring inside Librelec (through TvHeadend)?
You would be a pioneer with the Play2 using both methods to record to a NAS. Its looks possible however if external Shares can be mounted. TvHeadend could certainly do it. Unsure about WeTV.

Quote:P.S. I asked to Wetek why the Core is not anymore available in their Shop. They answer me the is not foreseen to made it available in the next future! Does it mean that it will be retired from the market due to processor limitation (e.g. not possible to upgrade to Marshmallow)? Or simply is a supply chain/production temporary issue? What do you think about?
As per the AML chart above the Core will not get Marshmallow I would think. Don't know why WeTek stock is unavailable.

So... finally... due to android limitation of the underlying soc, and then no evolution possibility, do yo suggest to move from Core to WP2? Obviously without taking into consideration the plus to ability to record TV programs ecc.ecc.
If you wanted a 10bit 4K HEVC platform with a known working Single DVB Tuner then you do know what you are getting with the WeTek Play2.
At least you are going in with your eyes open and if Android does not satisfy then LibreELEC Kodi &TvHeadend on a S905 certainly will.

HD Audio is working with LibreELEC on the Play2.

The other option of course is Ricardo's Android TV OS ROM, and then that can still be used to dual boot LE. The nice thing is you have options with the Play2. Smile

I personally pulled my old Core apart and extracted the USB RF Dongle to use on the Play2. I really don't like the Infra Red only remote that much that comes with the Play2. There is no usable Air Mouse with the Play2 remote.
WeTek remotes have gone downhill since the Wireless Air Mouse Remote that comes with the WeTek Core in my opinion.

I have too an RF wireless keyboard to use with Core/Kodi now and I think I'll use again with the WP2.
And last but not least, having a Netflix subscriptiion, passing to WP2 shall be enabling to have 5.1 audio when WP2 WeOS will migrate to Android Marshmallow. Is it correct?
Yes at least on the Hub with test MM Firmware - 5.1 and even 4K Android TV OS Netflix App works out of the box when an AVR is connected.
That will only work IF the Play2 ever gets a Marshmallow OS upgrade. Lets not count our chickens before they hatch Wink

(2017-02-22, 16:51)wrxtasy Wrote: .....and even 4K Android TV OS Netflix App works out of the box when an AVR is connected.

It means that if I install this apk on the Core, I could have Netflix with 5.1 audio, to send to my AV ReceiverHuh
If yes, where I can find it?
No that won't work because Ricardo has also done extra Audio work for that Android TV OS ROM to enable 5.1 Netflix Audio with his specifically modded Netflix App:
http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/di...ment_49724

• 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11