• 64(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
(2017-09-14, 12:28)brtani Wrote: Hi, i read almost everything about KODI devices, but i need help.

Firstly, I am looking for a device where i can play kodi, and movies from usb. I am ok with fullHD and basic sound, i do not need 4K.

Hiya,

The Android devices that run Android Kodi properly with 24p and working Kodi Krypton refresh switching for ultra smooth video playback are:
(these 4 also can do HD Audio passthrough in Android Kodi Krypton, inc Dolby Atmos and DTS:X)

Wetek Hub / Play2
MINIX U9
NVIDIA Shield

Out of the box the Play2's Android Firmware has a number of bugs for Kodi playback. One being broken 1080p 10bit HEVC video playback.

WeTek are dragging their heels fixing this 10bit HEVC bug - it's been ongoing for some four months now - far too long IMHO!

Thankfully most Play2 users are actually running the much easier to use and bug free Android TV ROM. This is a pretty nice ROM. Smile
This alternate ATV Firmware is easily installable from a USB stick.

Plus if you do not like Android with the Play2 you can dual boot to LibreELEC Kodi Krypton easily for a really good bug free version of Kodi Krypton.

The MINIX U9 will be faster than the Play2 due to a AMLogic S912 chipset, its tablet Android Marshmallow Firmware is better than the tablet Android MM Firmware on the Play2. 10bit HEVC video playback works properly with Kodi Krypton on the U9.

The U9 also has an unofficial Android TV ROM available for it but that is a bit buggier than the Play2 one. It can also dual boot to LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, and when it does that you have the fastest AMLogic Kodi Krypton device out on the market.

The RPI3 is good for 1080p playback. However its hardware is a bit dated and not very future proofed because it cannot Hardware decode the HEVC video compression standard. Forget about any 1080p 10bit HEVC video playback on the RPi3. It's right at the limit of what it can do.

If you don not care much about 24p & Kodi refresh switching for ultra smooth video playback also look at the Xiaomi Mi Box.

All depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. Wink

Thank you very much. I will wait a few months to better version of LE on U9-H Smile
(2017-09-14, 14:22)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-09-14, 12:28)brtani Wrote: Hi, i read almost everything about KODI devices, but i need help.

Firstly, I am looking for a device where i can play kodi, and movies from usb. I am ok with fullHD and basic sound, i do not need 4K.

Hiya,

The MINIX U9 will be faster than the Play2 due to a AMLogic S912 chipset, its tablet Android Marshmallow Firmware is better than the tablet Android MM Firmware on the Play2. 10bit HEVC video playback works properly with Kodi Krypton on the U9.

The U9 also has an unofficial Android TV ROM available for it but that is a bit buggier than the Play2 one. It can also dual boot to LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, and when it does that you have the fastest AMLogic Kodi Krypton device out on the market.

What is LibreELEC status for the s912 chipset? I thought that they didn't recommet s912 for LibreELEC (yet)
(2017-09-14, 22:42)AnDas Wrote: What is LibreELEC status for the s912 chipset? I thought that they didn't recommend s912 for LibreELEC (yet)

Please read this POST onwards as there have been some new bug fixing developments... Wink

Thanks

Στάλθηκε από το E5823 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
@wrxtasy how's the wifi on the Play2? I've given up waiting for the Play2s and i need something to replace the satbox in the front room, so I'm guessing it's either this or something from Minix with a usb tuner
Its 2.4/5GHz b/g/n

WiFi is only just OK with a standard small internal Antenna. Not as good as say devices with MIMO AC WiFi and external antennas like the MINIX devices.

You are going to need to do careful research with USB tuners and AMLogic devices running LibreELEC. You cannot just pick any old Tuner and Plug N Play.

Was also thinking it's better to go with something that has AC, as for the usb tuner i have this which I've been testing on a Beelink MINI MXIII II running LibreElec in the back room that works fine. I also picked up one of these too should the other one have an issues
I'm wetek play2 upgraded to Android 6 and now I do not know softcam. What should I do?
I also believe that this is not te correct place to know about it...
Great thread, and it's nice to see it simplified that if you want Netflix in HD there are just a few options available, make one's choice much easier :)
I would like to try with WP2.

I have:
Sony FHD TV 55W805C
Denon AVR2000
Epson TW6700 projector
and I have sat antenna.

so I don't need 4k support.

What I would like and I think I can get with WP2 is problem free (video, HD audio, refresh rate) Netflix, HBOgo, Kodi on custom Android TV ROM, that I can install on the sd card. Correct?

Why would I install LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on the WP2, what will I get with that?

Regarding SAT channels and possibilities to *khmshare* there is also support for that but I guess that would be in ELEC version or is it also possible on ATV ROM?

Thank you!

Edit: do I need another/better remote control, and if you can suggest which one is good?
Just few comments:

Custom ATV rom is not installed on sd card, it is installed on internal memory. You just temporarily put the zip file on sd card in order to launch the flash procedure, but then it run from internal. You can remove the sd and use the ATV rom.

Kodi on custom ATV rom works very well. Even the frame rate switch when video start playing.

Libreelec is officially supported and is installed on sd card. It really runs from the card. You can leave the libreelec SD card in the device, then easily manage dual boot between libreelec and Android with wetek remote. After power off, when you start the device it will boot automatically the os that was used last time. You can switch to the other one with a key press on the remote.

Additional remote is not required, but might be convenient.. it's up to personal preference. I personally use a Minix neo a2. Took a bit to get all buttons working on Android, but now it does 99% (I've shared details in wetek forum). Only missing feature is power on. On libreelec it works out of the box.

Netflix on custom ATV rom... Currently there are some issues reported on last version of the ATV rom (version 2.4). Maybe better to use older 2.3... In 2.3 there were lockup problems "when seeking and using SPDIF or a receiver without DD+ support". This issue has been fixed on rom 2.4 but now some users report losing audio after few minutes of playback. Check official forum.
Is this box capable of HDR playback on Netflix/Amazon/etc.?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2017-11-30, 14:54)ashlar Wrote: Is this box capable of HDR playback on Netflix/Amazon/etc.?
 Its a S905 box i believe only S905x/S912 boxes can do HDR
(2017-11-30, 15:15)komplex Wrote:  Its a S905 box i believe only S905x/S912 boxes can do HDR
Any example of these? Altough I loved the DTT integration on this one.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
  • 64(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11