• 1(current)
Req Massive font size
Hi, Thanks for your great work.

I have one feature request. Bigger fonts for old CRT's TVs and small screen devices.

Estuary is an beautiful skin but is impossible to use on CRT's. Take a look at confluence's massive mode.

https://github.com/notspiff/kodi-cmake/b...l#L87-L170

It works great and it is simple.
It´s impossible to write a nice skin for a CRT and a "proper" HD TV at the same time.
For CRTs I suggest to switch skins.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Other people in the feature requests thread have asked for larger font sizes as well, see:

(2016-03-09, 18:29)JustinBeaird Wrote:
(2016-03-06, 17:30)Ed76 Wrote:
(2016-03-06, 16:52)shadow Wrote: Would it be possible to give people the option of using larger text on the screen? I have a 60 inch TV and the smaller of the text like episode and movie descriptions I have to squint to read. I ended up manually modifying Font.xml and in the first normal fonts just changing any number under 30 to 30 then I was able to read everything.

I don't even know what I will do when I setup Kodi for other people since most people I know are in the 50 inch range which would make the text smaller. I could just keep putting them on Aeon Nox but I do like this new skin and would like them to have the option to use it.

I just hate making manual changes because I have to keep them up every time the skin updates.

i agree, for me its also hard to read the text. but only make the fonts bigger is not a nice solution (for me) because then you have less information visible (e.g. in epg description or movie info). a better solution would be a kind of "zoom". but not zooming the whole screen (because then you lost/dont see the informations on the borders of the screen), better would be only zooming the overlying osd (e.g. whole movie information screen or tv epg/channel view) because there is more than enought space for this available.

i also find it hard to read the text especially the white font on the selected/roll over color,

The size of the font is too small and AFAICT it can no longer be increased in the settings.

Any chance you could make the font size bigger?

Estuary is nice and is an improvement over Confluence, but the font size still is too small (it was also too small in Confluence).

It would be nice if this could be addressed.

Regards
Completely agree, I run Kodi on a small TV in my bedroom and need the large font size in Confluence, which is fine for me, to read it. Your mileage (and eyesight) may vary!
Yes, it's not just about CRTs, but also about smaller HDTVs.

Not everyone is using 60 inch HDTVs with a short viewing distance.

On smaller HDTVs and/or larger viewing distances, the font size is too small.

@ phil65:

It would be really nice if you could do something about that.

Regards
Completely agree
People on the blog are also asking for larger font sizes, see:

https://kodi.tv/a-brand-new-look-for-fut...-versions/

So, any update?
Update:
(2016-03-11, 23:12)phil65 Wrote: It´s impossible to write a nice skin for a CRT and a "proper" HD TV at the same time.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Weird, Confluence seemed to handle it just fine.

And just to reiterate, we're talking about smaller HDTVs here, not CRTs. I have a small HDTV in my bedroom running Kodi on a FireTV, and need the larger font size setting in Confluence to read it from my bed.
(2016-04-27, 19:17)rodalpho Wrote: Weird, Confluence seemed to handle it just fine.

And just to reiterate, we're talking about smaller HDTVs here, not CRTs. I have a small HDTV in my bedroom running Kodi on a FireTV, and need the larger font size setting in Confluence to read it from my bed.

Yeah, and to be precise, even the large font size in Confluence is still small on a small HDTV.
(2016-04-27, 17:18)phil65 Wrote: Update:
(2016-03-11, 23:12)phil65 Wrote: It´s impossible to write a nice skin for a CRT and a "proper" HD TV at the same time.

crt is a bad example... but, usually the viewing distance to tv is (tv picture diagonal x 2-3) i would say. personally i have picture diagonal x 3 (because i didnt like if the screen is to big) and the fonts for epg/movie description are really hard to read. i also have some frinds with that viewing distance, i wouldnt say that this is totally unusual.
Any update?

A larger font size is a must.

Please stop dismissing it as something unimportant.
Also for me..."A larger font size is a must.

Please stop dismissing it as something unimportant."
Just modify Font.xml in 1080i folder yourself and increase every value with for example 10 and test how it looks for you.

/edit:
Or better make a copy of the complete default fontset (<fontset id="Default" idloc="15109"> </fontset>) in side Font.xml , rename to BIG or whatever you want and increase values.

Examples here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...ht=massive
thanks, but since this is kodis new "default" skin it should be possible to read the text without modifying xml-files. thats why the feature request.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Massive font size4