• 6(current)
Req Massive font size
(2016-10-07, 14:16)Ed76 Wrote: from https://kodi.tv/a-brand-new-look-for-fut...-versions/

"The first one is called Estuary and it will be what most of you will see from now as it is designed for the so-called “10 foot media center experience”. "

im sitting "10 foot" in front of my 42" tv and its very, very hard to read some of the fonts (epg/movie plot). i had a look into the xml-files and all these fonts are size "25". i had to cange this to at least 29, better 30, that i can read the font without problems.

Using this link does not say anything!

They talk about the "10 foot media center experience" but 10 foot from what? a 24" screen? a 65" UHDTV?
Moanbag is in da place!
(2016-10-07, 16:34)Gracus Wrote:
(2016-10-07, 14:16)Ed76 Wrote: from https://kodi.tv/a-brand-new-look-for-fut...-versions/

"The first one is called Estuary and it will be what most of you will see from now as it is designed for the so-called “10 foot media center experience”. "

im sitting "10 foot" in front of my 42" tv and its very, very hard to read some of the fonts (epg/movie plot). i had a look into the xml-files and all these fonts are size "25". i had to cange this to at least 29, better 30, that i can read the font without problems.

They talk about the "10 foot media center experience" but 10 foot from what? a 24" screen? a 65" UHDTV?

42", as i wrote in my text, i would say this is a "normally large screen" (see below).

from
http://kodi.wiki/view/10-foot_user_interface

""10 foot" refers to the fact that the GUI's elements—i.e. menus, buttons, text fonts, and so on—are theoretically large enough to read easily at a distance of ten feet from the display (which in this context is normally a large-screen television). "

edit: but i know what you mean: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2422385
(2016-10-07, 17:33)Ed76 Wrote:
(2016-10-07, 16:34)Gracus Wrote:

42", as i wrote in my text, i would say this is a "normally large screen" (see below).

from
http://kodi.wiki/view/10-foot_user_interface

""10 foot" refers to the fact that the GUI's elements—i.e. menus, buttons, text fonts, and so on—are theoretically large enough to read easily at a distance of ten feet from the display (which in this context is normally a large-screen television). "

I do not ask about your TV size, I ask about the TV size that Kodi team had in mind when they talk about "10 foot media center experience"

As an exemple, estuary font will be bigger 10 foot in front of my 51" TV than 10 foot in front of your 42" TV
Moanbag is in da place!
yes, you are right, i have the same opinion than you, read here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2422385
(2016-10-07, 17:33)Ed76 Wrote: edit: but i know what you mean: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2422385

Kodi is not aware of your screen diagonale (and probably could not be aware of it)

The only information that kodi know about your TV is the resolution
Moanbag is in da place!
@gracus: you wrote "I ask about the TV size that Kodi team had in mind when they talk about "10 foot media center experience""

exactly thats the question i would wish to discuss here with team kodi. if you are sitting in front of a pc-monitor or in front of a huge tv you can read the fonts easy. but you can not use the default skin if you have viewing distance > "picture diagonal" x 2,5 (like me) or if you have a little smaler tv in the bed room.
Any advice how to modify that Fonts.xml on Philips Android TV?
Store lists all text editors as incompatible... Confused

Font is definately too small, even on 55" UHD screen, if watched from 4,5m and I do have perfect vision (At least according to Doctors)
(2016-10-08, 08:54)Etzi Wrote: Font is definately too small, even on 55" UHD screen, if watched from 4,5m and I do have perfect vision (At least according to Doctors)

Like already said, it is made for "10 foot media center experience"

10 foot -> 3.05m

But you could be right: if I watched from 10m (33f) then a font size made for 3m (10f) will be too small (still depending of your screen size)
Moanbag is in da place!
Guys, as already mentioned, please let's stop using such arbitrary terms and definitions like "10 foot viewing experience", "distance X is the best at diagonale Y" and so on. This is completely arbitrary.

Everyone is different. Not everyone has the same eyesight, not everyone has the same perception.

What we can all agree on though is:

The fonts in Estuary are too small!

Way too small. Some of you have suggested to increase the font only by one or two points. That is not enough. Please don't just settle with the minimum.

The fonts need to be much larger.

Why do the devs fail to understand that?

This has already been mentioned: We can all understand that having worked on a brand new skin and then getting critizism probably isn't that nice.

But the small fonts issue has been raised by users pretty much from the beginning.

But the devs have been entirely unreceptive for the feedback from the beginning.

Why?

@ Devs: Please do something about this.

And please do not just increase the fonts by one or two points. The fonts need to be much larger.

The fonts are even small on a 42 inch TV and even on bigger ones...

And there are even people using some relatively small 32 or even 26 inch TVs in the bedroom or wherever.

Please increase the font size.

And please remove the empty space at the top/bottom/left/right of the UI by making the UI larger.

If that requires a large amount of Estuary to be redesigned, then so be it.

Please don't just close your eyes regarding this issue.
(2016-10-08, 14:20)Gracus Wrote:
(2016-10-08, 08:54)Etzi Wrote: Font is definately too small, even on 55" UHD screen, if watched from 4,5m and I do have perfect vision (At least according to Doctors)

Like already said, it is made for "10 foot media center experience"

10 foot -> 3.05m

But you could be right: if I watched from 10m (33f) then a font size made for 3m (10f) will be too small (still depending of your screen size)

If I watched it from ~3m, I would not probably complain, unfortunately redesigning my whole apartement would cost a lot (I have to move 2 doorways to sit closer with my couch).
But what about users with smaller screens? I don`t think this font size would be readable even from 10ft on 26" or 32" screen...
Right, the default font size is fine for my living room, sitting 11 feet from a 60" TV. But in my bedroom, 10 feet from a 42" TV, I have to sit up and squint to read it. Font sizes should be configurable.
In movies and TV show in info wall view type .it will be very convenient to show genre and rating. There is not any view type which combine thumbnail rating and genre
I'm almost 12 feet (3,6 meters) away from my 32" tv. Isn't it possible to make the font size adaptable? So everyone can select there favorite size?
It's totally possible, the developers just don't want to do it. If you can't read Estuary, only real option is use a different skin.

Well, or buy a bigger TV.
Overall the font size is just about usable except when using the TV guide (epg synopsis, etc) where its impossible to read on either of my TVs (50" plasma & 32" LCD). I would also like a way to increase the font size without having to modify any files or install additional skins.

Surely an option to increase the font size should be a basic function.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Massive font size4