• 5(current)
Req Massive font size
(2016-09-23, 05:00)edrikk Wrote:
(2016-09-23, 03:33)phil65 Wrote: This thread makes me aware again why I stayed out of the forum for quite some time.

Feedback from handicapped users or non-handicapped users?

I was going to say just the same.
We don't want to mess with you, we just want to make this piece of software more usable for more people!
This is a feature request basically.
And how does it offend you if we just have another opinion on that topic than you?

IF this for you Devs / Skin Designer is such a no go, the community will come around with a mod with different font size modes?
Trying to get the best balance between asthetics and usabilty for visually impaired (or older people).
I am not talking about ultra big font sizes, just slightly bigger than the ones that are used here.
Changing a font 10 to a 12 gives me the opportunity to see what is written there on the screen. And my sight is really like not great at all. But even my perfectly seeing gilfriend has trouble reading the smaller texts.

The statement: "This software is for people with no handicap", that comes out here makes me a bit sad. But we don't have to pay for it so we will be accepting your descision.

But:
Is there anyone interested in helping me with a "visually impaired MOD"?
Making it possible to switch to a bigger font, without influencing the look in a negative way too much?
I can not be the only one suffering from this design descision. Smile

Regards

Hendrik
Following this discussion for a longer time now and i understand certain arguments from both sides.
I also understand it's frustrating for the people that would like to have bigger fonts but why not change it yourself and replace it every time skin is updated?
Okay, it's not that user friendly but better than nothing.

I just grabbed a copy of Fonts.xml and added a extra Fontset and increases all sizes with 10 (which is a bit to much in certain cases) and it works perfect.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/74qjwfy0h0elttt/Font.xml?dl=0

/edit:
Another version but then increased by 8
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1hk5faz93mbs13/Font.xml?dl=0

Replace Fonts.xml in folder 1080i in skin folder.
(2016-09-23, 02:55)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-09-23, 02:50)bilgepump Wrote:
(2016-09-22, 21:15)scott967 Wrote: I think that's why there are alt skins and skin mods, no? Just find one that meets your needs.
No other skin will install on any of my computers. I've tried with different versions and they always report missing dependencies.
Then you should sort that out.
Way to miss the point:

A READABLE FONT IS A CORE FEATURE.

There is nothing wrong with my eyesight.

The default font is too small.

The design team is free to do as it pleases, and users are free to no longer recommend to others that they install the software. It's no biggie.
(2016-09-24, 03:01)bilgepump Wrote:
(2016-09-23, 02:50)bilgepump Wrote: No other skin will install on any of my computers. I've tried with different versions and they always report missing dependencies.
Way to miss the point:

The design team is free to do as it pleases, and users are free to no longer recommend to others that they install the software. It's no biggie.
I must agree with you that the default font is to small. Some items are hard to read from a reasonable distance and that's why I slightly increased the Font size in Font.xml for default font.
the question is: is there a "objective way" to assess if the font is to small or not. i would say yes, there is one:

if you read the different "expert-magazines" they tell: "optimal viewing distance" = "picture diagonal" x 1,5 - 3,0.
the span depends on quality of video material (sd,hd...) and personal preferences. at the moment not all but some fonts are to small (e.g. epg or the movieplot showed in post #49) if your viewing distance is bigger than factor 2,5.

so i would wish a discussion with developers about what is the reasonable supported maximum viewing distance (factor) of kodis new default skin.
(2016-09-24, 03:01)bilgepump Wrote:
(2016-09-23, 02:50)bilgepump Wrote: No other skin will install on any of my computers. I've tried with different versions and they always report missing dependencies.
Way to miss the point:

No point missed.

'I can't install any other skin.'
Sounds like you need to sort that out, because something is not right on your system or you're doing it wrong.
But if you don't care I certainly don't.

And I'm sure shouting at the developer will get you what you want. Keep up the good work.
(2016-09-24, 13:38)Ed76 Wrote: the question is: is there a "objective way" to assess if the font is to small or not. i would say yes, there is one:

if you read the different "expert-magazines" they tell: "optimal viewing distance" = "picture diagonal" x 1,5 - 3,0.
the span depends on quality of video material (sd,hd...) and personal preferences. at the moment not all but some fonts are to small (e.g. epg or the movieplot showed in post #49) if your viewing distance is bigger than 2.5.

so i would wish a discussion with developers about what is the reasonable supported maximum viewing distance of kodis new default skin.

It is not 10ft.
(2016-09-24, 13:57)QueK9 Wrote:
(2016-09-24, 13:38)Ed76 Wrote: the question is: is there a "objective way" to assess if the font is to small or not. i would say yes, there is one:

the span depends on quality of video material (sd,hd...) and personal preferences. at the moment not all but some fonts are to small (e.g. epg or the movieplot showed in post #49) if your viewing distance is bigger than 2.5.

so i would wish a discussion with developers about what is the reasonable supported maximum viewing distance of kodis new default skin.

It is not 10ft.

in my use case its 10ft because i am sitting 3 m (=10 ft) in front of my tv (42").
in general i think this "10foot-thing" is not the best idea because if i understand this corectly this means e.g. fonts have to be as big that you can read them 10ft away of a 26" or 32" tv? sorry, but in my oppinion this is nonsense, in every case you have to consider viewing distance AND picture diagonal.
(2016-09-24, 13:55)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-09-24, 03:01)bilgepump Wrote: [quote='trogggy' pid='2421390' dateline='1474592122']

Sounds like you need to sort that out,
Sure, I need to "sort" something that is not required?? Why? To achieve core functionality?

I'm not shouting at the developer, and I don't want anything, I'm providing feedback and supporting those who are also giving the same feedback. I couldn't care less, I can just stick with Windows Media Centre if I need to.
(2016-09-25, 02:02)bilgepump Wrote: Sure, I need to "sort" something that is not required?? Why? To achieve core functionality?
Because according to you either your system is broken or you don't know how to use it.
Quote:No other skin will install on any of my computers. I've tried with different versions and they always report missing dependencies.
(2016-09-23, 03:33)phil65 Wrote: This thread makes me aware again why I stayed out of the forum for quite some time.
This thread is pretty calm, and people are having a reasonable conversation. Everybody thinks Estuary is a beautiful skin, it just has usability issues. Don't take feedback so personally.

Your kidding right?
All ive seen is a decent discussion

(2016-09-13, 16:43)Martijn Wrote: You call a design decision flawed? Then I call your comment flawed.

I've already seen different opinions on it and either you like it or not. If you like it then use it, if you don't find something else.
I don't care what you have at home or whatever your flawed interior decisions are.

Your design decision is flawed.
I've been a professional front end ui designer for going on 18 years, the font is too small, way too small.
Could we please stop calling this a visually impaired problem only?

It's not about being visually impaired.

The fonts are too small even if you have good eyesight.

And the fact that there is way too much empty space at the top/bottom/left/right of the UI, as outlined by a few posters, definitely is an issue as well.

@ Devs:

Could you please make this a blocker and resolve those issues before releasing KODI 17 Krypton?

The small fonts and empty space issue definitely should be sorted out before shipping KODI 17 Krypton.

Please.
I really don't quite understand what the UI devs feel they they are giving up/losing by listening to the user base.
The fact that visually impaired as well as those with perfect eye sight are asking is almost become irrelevant...

It seems that for some reason they have become personally invested/married to this font size.

Even Coke listened to the people and brought back "Coke Classic"... LOL!

I guarantee this will be the number one issue with Kodi once it is final and widely used. And this is in a release where the entire video player core was replaced...
from https://kodi.tv/a-brand-new-look-for-fut...-versions/

"The first one is called Estuary and it will be what most of you will see from now as it is designed for the so-called “10 foot media center experience”. "

im sitting "10 foot" in front of my 42" tv and its very, very hard to read some of the fonts (epg/movie plot). i had a look into the xml-files and all these fonts are size "25". i had to cange this to at least 29, better 30, that i can read the font without problems.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Massive font size4