[XBOX] Patch XDK to go around the 4GB FAT32 limit on USB-drives like UnleashX
I'd like to see a function in xbmc where I could connect a mass storage device over 4 gb via my usb to xbox connector cable, so that I could store my media there instead of streaming from my pc. Is this possible, and if not, could someone please explain why?
i believe its an xbox kernel limitation
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
ah, okay, I figured there was some kind of a reason why this hadn't been implemented yet.

thanx
Have searched the forums but can't see an answer to this so here goes:

Although 4GB isn't bad, it would be great if 8GB USB drives and larger were supported. Are there any plans for that with Atlantis, or is it down to some technical limitation that we're stuck with?

Thanks in advance for any info.
For XBOX, it's a technical limitation, and seeing as development is being focused on other platforms (rightly so), I'm 99.99% sure this will never be added.
Try partitioning your 8Gb stick into 2 4gb partitions... and post your findings... might work, could be another memory option on the list! but its not possable as snoxbox has pointed out... it would be like re-writting windows 95 to support larger than 4Gb files.... extreemly complex and not worth it... I think the 4Gb is ample for a movie or a heap of music and pictures.
Thanks guys - I thought that might be the case! Will try the partitioning and report my results.
actually it is possible and was / is done with unleashx .. however im told it requires 'hacking' the XDK used to compile XBMC which none of the XBMC team are / were interested in doing.
Maybe Frosty "the secret wepon of RTMP on the Xbox" would be able to do something... the way he pulled RTMP out of the bag anything could be possible!! Wink wouldn't hold ya breath thou...
Just sent unleashx a question about the availability of his XDK patch. He might just tell me to get lost, but if it's just a XDK patch we can build XBMC and see if the 4gb barrier is removed. Figured it was worth asking, but I don't really expect to get anywhere. I'll update this thread if I hear anything back.
I'll spect your news :-)
Any news on this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] Patch XDK to go around the 4GB FAT32 limit on USB-drives like UnleashX0