• 6(current)
[Release] Quartz 5 (Jarvis support)
Upcoming week will be quiet busy here but hopefully the week after that should be okay to dig a bit more in solving bugs on Quart for Krypton and Jarvis. Thanks for the feedback on these topics and github. Big Grin

I'll keep you guys posted!
Fwiw, got pvr working for Quartz Jarvis but still have to work out some kinks in the epg and then home screen. But heres the live tv screen with channel switching and osd etc. Just used some older pvr icons that were in /VideoOSD and kind of shoe horned them in there for now for channel selection (I am by no means an artist). The signal and snr readout to the right of the controls is mostly there so I can see if my atsc-t signal is worth anything. Oh yeah and the hilighted color is my fixed Ice color scheme as the included one uses White as the "HL" color which of course means there is no way to tell what control you have highlighted.

A few things as I am new to PVR (though it works pretty awesome on a chd modded atv 1 running Soli's Kinos build) that I'd note in trying a bunch of skins to test out how they use pvr. Confluence is the next runner up to Quartz from a resource perspective. AeonNox is pretty decent but uses yet more resources and from there imo it gets worse for low resource platforms like I am using. Quartz is the lightest by far having tried everything in the Jarvis repo and a few not in there (Aeon MQ7 etc). So, I figure its worth playing with Quartz for my own use to see what can be done. I am doing this in the Jarvis branch as I only have one box running Krypton and my biggest interest is for a low power setup and the atv 1 is surely a low power setup and Jarvis though getting dated is perfect for that old box. I do not think it'd be tough to add this pvr stuff to the krypton branch but I haven't had the time to try it.  Afaict there isn't any krypton pvr specific code I've needed yet.
I have no way to test live radio as my tuner doesn't have a radio receiver. So for now that'll remain a black box.

Still have to clean up the channel list selection screen (the one that gets you the full screen video above) and figure how to get pvr introduced into the home screen as right now its just under addons if PVR is enabled.

I think like the others it'd make sense for pvr to have its own main heading in the home screen but currently I am not sure how to get another main entry in there, so that'll take some tinkering, a sub heading is much easier for now.
So, working on pvr and playing around, the now playing issue on the home screen was kind of bugging me, so got that working for pvr, video, tv shows, pretty much everything but it (like everything else) could use some dressing up. But, at least my kids don't get lost when they go back to the home screen and a video source was playing behind the background (very easy to do on the atv with just the apple remote). I haven't played wth it much yet on music, but it shows the cover art instead of the actual live video which the other sources do on the home screen shelf when you are on the System menu.

Seems to me that when a source is playing, the KODI (I use System) submenu should have the Fullscreen Player control at the top above Update library as that would be your most likely go to as you slide across the menu.
(2017-11-03, 09:27)dynaflash Wrote: So, working on pvr and playing around, the now playing issue on the home screen was kind of bugging me, so got that working for pvr, video, tv shows, pretty much everything but it (like everything else) could use some dressing up. But, at least my kids don't get lost when they go back to the home screen and a video source was playing behind the background (very easy to do on the atv with just the apple remote). I haven't played wth it much yet on music, but it shows the cover art instead of the actual live video which the other sources do on the home screen shelf when you are on the System menu.

Seems to me that when a source is playing, the KODI (I use System) submenu should have the Fullscreen Player control at the top above Update library as that would be your most likely go to as you slide across the menu.

Hey mate, seems like you learned to skin in the meantime :-)
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Holy Smokes Pecinko! Hey man I wouldn't say I know much. About enough to get into trouble. Tbh, I dove into Amber as pvr was of course much more complete and the best I've seen it implemented to try to mimic some of that for quartz. In doing so I surely noticed a lot of familiar code blocks from Quartz (wonder why) but it's more organized. I optimized that one a bit for Soli's atv Jarvis build and added some things from the krypton version of amber to the Jarvis version. Anyway now that i am running that on my atv's am thinking of going back to Quartz and use some of what I learned messing with Amber to try to bring quartz up to date. One thing is for sure the motion of the menu movement in Quartz is harder to replicate than it would first appear. Quartz just has a cool "feel" to it in that respect. Am going to take a harder look at that when I have time.

Thanks for all you did with both skins. Very Nice!
Nice to see Pecinko himself chiming in! I am eagerly awaiting your work on this, as I wonder if it would be easy to port it to Leia. Just like the use-case where only Jarvis will do, I have a similar case where I need Leia. And the skins are just not very good, when you are used to Quartz. This skin hopefully has some life left in it Smile
(2017-12-22, 19:50)mediumdry Wrote: Nice to see Pecinko himself chiming in! I am eagerly awaiting your work on this, as I wonder if it would be easy to port it to Leia. Just like the use-case where only Jarvis will do, I have a similar case where I need Leia. And the skins are just not very good, when you are used to Quartz. This skin hopefully has some life left in it Smile
Welp, I finally found some time this weekend to first get all of pvr working for my Jarvis - ATV's. Once that's more or less done (read: fairly useable) I hope to see what it would take or if it's even possible to have one skin that can work on both Jarvis and Krypton (and possibly leia I guess). Frankly maintaining 3 versions 1 for each version of kodi is ridiculous and I certainly wouldn't have the time.  guess even if  could have one Jarvis, then one that would run on krypton and Leia might be doable as long as the diffs weren't much. Be nice if Kodi could settle down on changes when it comes to skinning for a few revs tbh. Then again I am new to the whole thing.
Live TV Channels Window

Still gotta add the progress bar for the channels but it works. Note: Still using the Ice color theme in this screenie.

Here's the standard color scheme:

Now playing video on the home screen (this pic is live tv):

Obviously controls etc are only visibile while content is playing. Also the now playing video window only shows if there is no shelf content like recently added or custom. Controls are still there to control playback though.

Music playing:

These are obviously the default color scheme setting.
(2017-04-04, 00:33)Soli Wrote: When you are finished with the now playing screen (I tried out that branch, it was great) please you consider these additions:
1. support for skip steps.
2. Playing music should be fullscreen when using visualizer. The way it's done now it not optimal. Nobody want's to stare at the text and cover..

Please make it so that it's fullscreen without even any text when the track changes, and another mode that displays the artist/song when a track changes. Apart from that it's pretty much perfect..

Got both done , music osd was oooold. unified the OSD icons for controls with the current video OSD for consistency.

Skip Steps (hard to catch it in a screenie but here's what i got,):

Note: the progress time and time remaining on each end of the progress bar are showing where the current playback nb is at in this screenie, so it's before it seeks to where the skip step nib (darker nib) is.

PVR: EPG Grid for pvr works but isn't as fancy as I'd like, but it works. If anyone's a graphic artist there was no EPGMarker.png for Quartz (thats the tall thin marker in the epggrid showing the current time) so I "borrowed" Ambers for now (sorry Pecinko, I'll give it back I promise) until another one comes available. I do have to verify and test the recording and timer icons and overlays for pvr but as far as watching and navigating live tv it works as good as I've used and we're using it daily here as we've switched back from Amber now that Quartz is as functional for most of what we currently run on our Kod atv's and is really smoother on such a low power box. I have no way to test pvr for radio but I *think* it's functional as I read the code as it's pretty much a subset of live tv pvr.

Hmm, I know that Playlists are kind of wonky in Quartz so I'd like to look at that as we use them quite a lot here and creating and editing them in quartz is imo less than intuitive.

Its funny, but until you start to work on a skin you don't really realize how many nooks and crannies are in Kodi.

Oh, and I haven't tested it yet, but the empty shelf when populating a new library from the get go *could* be fixed as some of that is now changed as well, have to check to see. That'd be nice, no clue if that's still an issue with the current Krypton branch but doesn't look like much of that was touched from Jarvis.
Hey question: What do you guys think about how the Full Screen Music Visualization "Flips" the cover art, song info and progress bar periodically around the Y axis? It's vestigial back to Quartz 4 that I know of and I personally find it distracting after a while. I'd remove the animation or if it's there make it a user option.

Thoughts?
Hi dynaflash,

Are your pvr edits available to download? I'd love to come back to Quartz, but had to give it up because of the lack of pvr.

(and I always liked the flipping music now playing...)

junkmarsh
(2018-02-19, 09:19)junkmarsh Wrote: Hi dynaflash,

Are your pvr edits available to download? I'd love to come back to Quartz, but had to give it up because of the lack of pvr.

(and I always liked the flipping music now playing...)

junkmarsh
Yeah, but there is one big bug I am working on before was gonna offer it up. The homescreen only supports a max of six main menu items. So if you enable pvr you have to have one of the others disabled (for me I don't use pictures anyway so thats not an issue) or the home screen is all messed up. I am gonna try to  get to that this week.

Other than that it seems to work (though I have no way to test pvr radio).

Heres my fork

Let me know how it works.
Many thanks. Will feed back, though at the moment I have so many kodi issues to resolve it may take me a while. At some point I should be able to check the pvr radio as well. Looking forward to getting Quartz back!

junkmarsh
No problem. Be aware I will likely be checking stuff in over the course of the next few days. Playlist editing is pretty much a train wreck in the current Quartz. Nothing big though besides the major homescreen bug. Which as I said just requires you to disable an existing menu item if you use pvr (since pvr takes up on of the six hard coded menu items). I suppose at some point I should start a new thread and was gonna wait for that fix.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Quartz 5 (Jarvis support)0