Why are the Kodi Wiki pages frequently down?
Hi,

I've been a regular user of the Kodi Wiki pages to use as a reference for skinning and addon development. Whilst the pages are very useful (thank you!), it can be quite frustrating to use as the pages are frequently down (and it usually happens when you're in the middle of coding and need that one crucial piece of information!) or timeout. Usually, I end up Googling the page and accessing their cached version.

Is there a reason why the Wiki pages are down so frequently? I never have this issue with the Kodi forums or the blogs, but the Wiki pages are a pain in the butt.

Just right now, I've been experiencing very slow load times and also just had this message:

Code:
Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Would be great to hear why the Wiki pages are down so often and if anything is being done about it.

Thanks! Wink
The wiki has been waiting for three years for a new server and an update. I wish I knew more about the backend side of things so I could help. People who understand the old servers are in short supply, and are very busy with personal life and more pressing matters. It's better if the wiki goes down every so often rather than the forum, as the forum is our first line of defense for support.

Someday, though. I'm helping out with a new Kodi-related group that is setting up Mediawiki, and new versions of the software are like night and day, which is another thing to look forward to. There is a new server ready for the Kodi wiki, and Cloudflare was an important step before things could be moved, IIRC. We're closer now than ever, which makes me excited. Hopefully the duct tape and glue holds together long enough on old SRV1 :D
Thanks for the reply Ned. Glad something is being done about it and that it's not been unnoticed or ignored. The server is the real issue here and the new version of Mediawiki is a bonus, so I'll be looking forward to it. Hopefully, it's sooner rather than later. I'll cope with Google cache for now and hope that my brain doesn't explode before the server switchover Big Grin
Thread moved to the wiki sub forum
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Yep its certainly in our plans to move it to a new server.

I'm in the same boat sadly, know a lot about Microsoft hosting, not too much about linux Wink

I'll see what I can do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why are the Kodi Wiki pages frequently down?0