Advert Bar
This has probably been brought up previously but wouldn't a good way of making revenue to support Kodi to have a scrolling AD bar on the home page? Obviously this wouldn't be seen while viewing but it could run on the home page?Huh
That won't be Kodi anymore.
I don't think that revenue generation is an objective of the Kodi dev team...
There is a scrolling bar on the home page but its rss news feed and can be disabled (confluence skin anyway)
You're free to donate to Kodi, though it's by no means something you need to feel obliged to do... Enjoy Kodi and its community. There are many ways to contribute without spending money Smile
This would be a very effective means of making money, but given that we don't do ads anywhere else (home page, forum, etc.), I can't imagine we'd start within the application itself.
How about on the download links?
You could always run a pop-up once a year asking for donations like Wikipedia does. I don't really know how the XBMC Foundation is doing money wise... If they were dangerously low on funds I hope they would let us know.
The real difficulty comes from the fact that this is an open source script. Very soon, I suspect - should Team Kodi add such adverts to the official Source - that they would be removed from all BUT the source. My imagination is that this would add to the fallacy that those unofficial sources (which already includes a variety of sources that the end user might want, however illegal they may be in their locale, but also no adverts) compared to the official source, that - for those who don't know the true difference between unofficial sources and the official - and, let's not kid ourselves here, that's the majority - would just cause more confusion.

Be honest for a moment - if you were about to just use an open source project not based on the code it provides (which relies on actually examining the code - and that assumes that the code isn't obfuscated - which a lot is and, frankly, users don't even know let alone realise what that means for the code the addon can run!), but rather whether it provides adverts or not - would YOU go for the advert-enabled version, or not?
I would stop using Kodi if it had any kinds of ads. Anonymous usage analytics I can live with, as long as they can be turned off.
(2016-03-21, 03:54)nooryani84 Wrote: I would stop using Kodi if it had any kinds of ads. Anonymous usage analytics I can live with, as long as they can be turned off.
+1. Totally.
(2016-03-21, 03:01)nooryani84 Wrote: You could always run a pop-up once a year asking for donations like Wikipedia does. I don't really know how the XBMC Foundation is doing money wise... If they were dangerously low on funds I hope they would let us know.

We're fine. We don't have enough money to pay people, but we've got enough for the meager activities that we do.
The Kodi Team would never allow adverts in our software, I think I can speak for the whole team on that one!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advert Bar0