Deleted All My Recordings
Exclamation 
I accidentally hit Menu->Delete on my Default group of recordings! All my recordings are wiped out, but available for "undelete". However just after the MythTV delete job kicked in and started erasing file system data before I had a chance to undelete everything in Kodi.

Why is there an option in the UI to select the "default" -> Menu -> Delete. I actually have done this twice by accident now.

So for it looks like I lost about 25 recordings out of 460+. I'm running extundelete to try and recover the rest but SERIOUSLY, why is this even an option?

Is there a way to disable group deletes in the DVR menu? Is there a way to program a delete in the mythTV backend job to not remove files deleted within X hours or days?
Please make the addon prevent user stupidity!! Prohibit deleting LiveTV and default recording groups in their context menus.

Posting as I did this last night because I wasn't paying enough attention when I thought I was deleting the program I just finished watching.

Fortunately I had a weekly database backup that was only a couple days old so I didn't lose that much...

/whelp, at least I know how to restore a mythtv database backup now....
Come on.....some people know how to use things properly. I dont think they should remove the ability to delete the recordings because a few accidentally did something that they should put some thought into before doing.

You are prob the same type of people who made them put "COFFEE HOT" on the coffee cups too right?
Exclamation 
Setting DELETE MAX AGE > 0 will set the number of days before recordings are deleted. I think setting above 3 is reasonable. Also -1 will prevent any recordings from being removed until the remaining space reaches the minimum limit set (default is 0). There is a separate setting for LiveTV group also if you are worried about these recordings.

At least with this setting you can recover deleted items before they are purged by the backend.

If you delete a recording in the UI you can pull up the left-hand context menu to enable viewing of "deleted" items to undelete them. Also you can use Mythweb frontend which is easier to handle multiple deleted recordings.

The KODI PVR UI still needs to be fixed however.
TTT
TTT
Looks like this issue was reported last year too .... http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224023
Exclamation 
Angry Ok, so I hit this same issue again for the 3rd time last night and deleted all my recordings again!! When I'm watching TV I'm usually half-asleep so I don't see any other way to avoid doing this without changing the UI.

So maybe for now I'm going to have write a an undelete-all tool or add on. Going to look into this soon because undeleting 460 recordings manually really takes a long time. Angry
I dont see how this is an "issue" and not just "user error"

Sorry maybe thats just me. i have NEVER done this and i delete recordings all the time from the Kodi UI....mainly currently recording NBA games so i can stop them from recording and watch live tv again
(2016-04-14, 22:29)wyild1 Wrote: I dont see how this is an "issue" and not just "user error"

Sorry maybe thats just me. i have NEVER done this and i delete recordings all the time from the Kodi UI....mainly currently recording NBA games so i can stop them from recording and watch live tv again

Maybe, but if you have a family with kids it is kind of dangerous that you can delete a whole recording group. Not that it was the case here, but either way I would also like to see some kind of protection for this.
Not every user is aware of the damage they can do when they delete things.
Part of the problem is also the setup on my remote. I have a DVR button, and depending on certain events it will go to either the current recording or the DEFAULT recording group. About 95% of the time it goes back to the current recording. The 5% of the time it returns to the DEFAULT recording group is when I delete everything. So part of the issue is figuring out why my DVR button the remote does this, but I think its a secondary issue. Even if my remote was working the way it should, I still don't want to have the chance of deleting all my recordings.
I have a good solution to undo a mass deletion using a script I wrote. This works if the backend is configured to not immediately purge deleted recordings.

The PVR plugin should still be fixed if possible.
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I don't feel there is any problem in the addon to fix. When a recording is selected for deletion, a confirmation prompt is presented to the user with No/Cancel as the default option; additional action on the part of the user to select Yes and then press Enter/Select ought to be enough on the part of the addon. Furthermore, if a deletion did accidentally happen you can change the view options in the addon to display deleted recordings and then restore them. If this happens frequently enough, a user can change how long the backend waits before purging deleted recordings from disk in the backend's settings.

Personally I find it onerous that changes a user has made in their own personal setup in the way the application/addon responds to remote commands is a problem/bug in the addon rather than in the modified workflow. If a user made modifications to the default workflow, and that is the source of the frequent deletions, then perhaps the problems are with the modifications made, and not the addon.
(2016-04-14, 23:20)raptorjr Wrote:
(2016-04-14, 22:29)wyild1 Wrote: I dont see how this is an "issue" and not just "user error"

Maybe, but if you have a family with kids it is kind of dangerous that you can delete a whole recording group. Not that it was the case here, but either way I would also like to see some kind of protection for this.
Not every user is aware of the damage they can do when they delete things.
If kids or other users accidentally deleting things is a problem, Kodi does allow one to create profiles that have limited write access to libraries, as well as separate keymaps so that offending actions can be overridden to perform other, less destructive, actions.
(2016-05-06, 03:52)rpcameron Wrote: When a recording is selected for deletion, a confirmation prompt is presented to the user with No/Cancel as the default option; additional action on the part of the user to select Yes and then press Enter/Select ought to be enough on the part of the addon.
So you think it makes sense to have the same prompt when deleting 1 recording vs deleting all recordings. Even when probably 99.99% of users would never want to delete ALL of their recordings. Also you realize the GNU devs made a similar change to rm so you can't run "rm -rf /*"

(2016-05-06, 03:52)rpcameron Wrote: Furthermore, if a deletion did accidentally happen you can change the view options in the addon to display deleted recordings and then restore them. If this happens frequently enough, a user can change how long the backend waits before purging deleted recordings from disk in the backend's settings.
First, if you don't have the backend setup right, the recordings will be wiped the first time you make this mistake and any changes to the backend after that are pretty pointless. So you're still putting all the expectations on the user. Some of my recordings are pretty old and could not be replaced if I lost them. It seems like you don't think this is the case unfortunately.

I was lucky that when it happened to me I was there to run to my backend and disable it. If it was a wife or a kid, they wouldn't have known and that would of been the ballgame.

The undelete feature in the app works great given the correct backend setting! It just is really annoying to go through 100, 1000, or 10,000 recordings and hit "undelete", "ok" for each one. Try it out and let me know how long that takes you.

(2016-05-06, 03:52)rpcameron Wrote: Personally I find it onerous that changes a user has made in their own personal setup in the way the application/addon responds to remote commands is a problem/bug in the addon rather than in the modified workflow. If a user made modifications to the default workflow, and that is the source of the frequent deletions, then perhaps the problems are with the modifications made, and not the addon.
I'm not sure I know what you're describing here. What are the "changes a users has made", "modified workflow", "default workflow", and "modifcations made". As far as I know am deleting files the normal way.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Deleted All My Recordings0