• 4(current)
WIP Windows 3D MVC Bluray test builds
Is this Intel hardware decoding news only for 3D MVC ISO or 3D MVC MKV as well?

Is the hardware sending auto-switch signals to displays for the proper formats including SBS and TAB?
1. this doesn't make sense.
2. same as above. Output can be different than movie format.
(2016-03-01, 22:24)afedchin Wrote: 1. this doesn't make sense.

Are these responses to my questions?

If so,

1. What doesn't make sense?
2. How can the output be different than the movie? Is the movie is sbs the output setting to the display should be identified as sbs and which eye first.

Both of these are done by hardware on the Raspberry Pi with MKV files that have the stereo field mode in the header set to the correct 3D mode. It works quite well and requires no special naming convention for kodi to do anything. In fact, Kodi will playback SBS or TAB files properly the same way, just not (until recently, possibly) send the proper signal to the display to auto-switch to the correct display format.
(2016-03-01, 22:01)afedchin Wrote: 1. Intel Core™ i3-4010U is more than enough. But if you want to buy an NUC I would recommend with any Intel Skylake CPUs
2. I'm no sure what Pentium N3700 supports hardware-based 3D output.
3. I would recommend this one http://nucblog.net/2016/01/skylake-nuc-r...h-core-i3/

So Ive Bridge or Skylake CPU should work?

Looking something a little bit less expensive.

For a quick test until I get the 3rd Gen Intel, what I'm I suppose to do to get my AMD FX 8350 to work?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-03-01, 22:31)Dave the Minion Wrote:
(2016-03-01, 22:24)afedchin Wrote: 1. this doesn't make sense.

Are these responses to my questions?

If so,

2. How can the output be different than the movie? Is the movie is SBS the output setting to the display should be identified as SBS and which eye first.

Both of these are done by hardware on the Raspberry Pi with MKV files that have the stereo field mode in the header set to the correct 3D mode. It works quite well and requires no special naming convention for kodi to do anything. In fact, Kodi will playback SBS or TAB files properly the same way, just not (until recently, possibly) send the proper signal to the display to auto-switch to the correct display format.

I'm Confuse Huh
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
(2016-03-01, 22:56)movie78 Wrote: I'm Confuse Huh

About?
(2016-03-01, 21:39)afedchin Wrote:
(2016-03-01, 21:30)ArieS Wrote: Would this work with Win 7 or do I need Win 10?
decoding is possible on any version of windows, but hardware based output possible in Win8 and later. on Win7 you can display MVC in any mode except hardware based i.e. Over/Under, Side by Side, Interlaced, Anaglyph.
Sorry but just to make sure I understand.
With Win7, full 3D Framepacked would work but not OU/SBS ?
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2016-03-01, 23:33)ArieS Wrote:
(2016-03-01, 21:39)afedchin Wrote:
(2016-03-01, 21:30)ArieS Wrote: Would this work with Win 7 or do I need Win 10?
decoding is possible on any version of windows, but hardware based output possible in Win8 and later. on Win7 you can display MVC in any mode except hardware based i.e. Over/Under, Side by Side, Interlaced, Anaglyph.
Sorry but just to make sure I understand.

No. In Win7 OU/SBS are processed by Kodi software directly, It's been this way since Gotham. (I believe)

You'd need Win8+ in order to use this new hardware based processing. The hardware (and it's firmware/drivers) process the signal and then send it to the display. This has been a major hurdle in full MVC 3D playback on a HTPC for some time.

With Win7 you can use Software based processing with programs like Stereoscopic3D or PowerDVD to process the media and then send that processed information out through the HDMI. It is very processor intensive and will run your CPU high. Hardware is what Blu-ray players and Playstations do as well as a few inexpensive media players and devices like the Raspberry Pi, though with lesser features and power than you can build into a HTPC.
(2016-03-01, 22:31)Dave the Minion Wrote: Are these responses to my questions?

If so,

2. How can the output be different than the movie? Is the movie is sbs the output setting to the display should be identified as sbs and which eye first.

1. 3D MVC ISO and 3D MVC MKV are identical with a little difference how data is stored in streams. And yes, mvc version of Kodi supports both of them.
2. Kodi can display SBS movie as TAB or as Anaglyph or as Interlaced and ofc in Hardware based mode i.e. Frame Packed HDMI. Also Kodi can displays MVC movie as TAB/SBS/Interlaced/Anaglyph/Hardware. Any stereo movie can be displayed as you want and format of movie doesn't make sense. Format makes sense only how Kodi will "convert" it to selected output mode.

Seems you are don't understand how it works. Kodi doesn't send any signals to the display. Kodi just prepare data (surface or surfaces) for video driver and then driver formats output signal which interpreted by the display as stereo or not. You also can display movie in TAB/SBS to the display and then switch display in 3D, but then the display will converts input picture to 3D but not the video driver.
(2016-03-01, 22:55)movie78 Wrote: So Ive Bridge or Skylake CPU should work?

For a quick test until I get the 3rd Gen Intel, what I'm I suppose to do to get my AMD FX 8350 to work?
1. yes they should work.
2. with AMD CPU only sowfware decoding is possible and you need software implementation of the mvc decoder https://www.dropbox.com/s/xka0cd3oz79bzf...v1.7z?dl=0 (need to extract this to root Kodi folder)
(2016-03-01, 23:33)ArieS Wrote: Sorry but just to make sure I understand.
on Win7 you still can decode MVC but only the TAB/SBS output is possible. And you will need to switch the display to 3D mode manually.
(2016-03-02, 00:41)afedchin Wrote: 1. 3D MVC ISO and 3D MVC MKV are identical with a little difference how data is stored in streams. And yes, mvc version of Kodi supports both of them.
2. Kodi can display SBS movie as TAB or as Anaglyph or as Interlaced and ofc in Hardware based mode i.e. Frame Packed HDMI. Also Kodi can displays MVC movie as TAB/SBS/Interlaced/Anaglyph/Hardware. Any stereo movie can be displayed as you want and format of movie doesn't make sense. Format makes sense only how Kodi will "convert" it to selected output mode.

Seems you are don't understand how it works. Kodi doesn't send any signals to the display. Kodi just prepare data (surface or surfaces) for video driver and then driver formats output signal which interpreted by the display as stereo or not. You also can display movie in TAB/SBS to the display and then switch display in 3D, but then the display will converts input picture to 3D but not the video driver.

1. Everything mentioned up to my first post only mentions MVC in ISO format, not MKV. Hence why I asked if MKV also works. I have no idea how ISO identifies it's format including which eye to show first as all my movies are in MVC MKV format with the stereo mode field of the header set to properly identify the format.

2. The question isn't about what Kodi can do with SBS/TAB or even MVC. It's about the HDMI driver signal telling the attached display which 3D format is being sent so the display will switch automatically to properly show the content in the proper 3D mode.

Kodi does not tell a display to switch to SBS/TAB when using those formats and Kodi's internal processing for them. You have to either manually switch your display to the proper setting or have a display with built in detection that will analyze the signal for a few seconds then figure out it's getting SBS or TAB or whatever and switch on it's own. Neither are appropriate options when trying to create a home cinema experience and some displays, projector's specifically, lack the analogizing feature.

Hence why I mention small devices which use hardware decoding already and also send the information require by the display to automatically switch the display to the proper playback mode including SBS/TAB. On the Pi I hit play on a MVC MKV movie and Kodi plays the movies while the Pi decodes the stream and the projector changes to frame packed 3D playback mode. I just sit back and eat popcorn. IF the material is SBS I do the same. If it's MVC right eye first, I do the same (after making sure the MKV header is set properly). I don't need Kodi naming conventions to do this (3d.sbs.etc). It all works with playlists as created by CinemaVision to play multiple files in a row in various formats. All I do, after prepping the files before scraping into Kodi, is press play.

Also, is the framepacked video working with bitstream HD audio? For those wanting Atmos/dts:x?

I've only just discovered this thread and information and haven't yet been able to test any of it for myself. It sounds promising and could be the answer I've been searching a long time for. Crossing my fingers.
Yes bitstreaming works fine. The only problem I have (emphasis on it being my problem) is my CPU doesn't do MVC in hardware and struggles with stuttering on some movies (Avatar struggles but tested the first few minutes of the Avengers and it worked fine).

You're overthinking the ISO thing. It's just the raw disc rip including menus. Kodi is smart enough to mount and play the disc (can default to main movie) and if it's a 3D rip it plays accordingly.

I name all my 3D bluray rips with "3D Bluray" tagged on the end.... Helps kodi and smart playlist creation to facilitate my 3D movies menu.

When Kodi outputs frame packed my projector automatically detects and switches to frame packed 3D mode.
(2016-03-02, 01:20)Nelbert Wrote: Yes bitstreaming works fine. The only problem I have (emphasis on it being my problem) is my CPU doesn't do MVC in hardware and struggles with stuttering on some movies (Avatar struggles but tested the first few minutes of the Avengers and it worked fine).

You're overthinking the ISO thing. It's just the raw disc rip including menus. Kodi is smart enough to mount and play the disc (can default to main movie) and if it's a 3D rip it plays accordingly.

I name all my 3D bluray rips with "3D Bluray" tagged on the end.... Helps kodi and smart playlist creation to facilitate my 3D movies menu

I'm curious about the MKV format over ISO more than overthinking. I've seen plenty of people going with ISO and aside from the 3D subtitle support which is currently missing from MKV I can see no other benefit. If you want the extras rip them as well and put them in an extras folder and use the VideoExtras addon (as I do).

My interest in this new information is purely for hardware decoding. Software is not an option for me. At all. Hence why I use a $35 Pi instead of a $1000 HTPC to watch 3D content currently. It's not perfect but when it works, it works well.
(2016-03-02, 00:44)afedchin Wrote:
(2016-03-01, 22:55)movie78 Wrote: So Ive Bridge or Skylake CPU should work?

1. yes they should work.
2. with AMD CPU only sowfware decoding is possible and you need software implementation of the mvc decoder https://www.dropbox.com/s/xka0cd3oz79bzf...v1.7z?dl=0 (need to extract this to root Kodi folder)

Is this the correct place to extract the file C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\libmfxsw32.dll
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 3D MVC Bluray test builds5