Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)
(2016-04-21, 20:53)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 17:54)BigPines Wrote: One thing I should point out is that the external player is always processing the image even after disabling Imprex. I found that both whites and blacks are crushed even with Imprex off and image settings set to standard. So unfortunately, there is no true pass-through available on the device as it is always altering the image. I reported this problem to Himedia during the pre-production testing and I have confirmed the problem exists on the production hardware as well. The work-around I found was to turn off all Imprex options and set Brightness to 66 and Contrast to 43. This eliminates crushing on both blacks and whites. I used a test pattern from Digital Video Essentials to confirm this.
When you say crushing black and white are you referring to clipping of 0-15 and 236-255? If so, only Linux x86 Kodi on Intel Graphics with patched passthrough driver from @fritsch/@lmyllari will allow BTB and WTW, not on Android devices (so far I have tested) or Pi2. On Windows, you can get it with RGB full in driver and limited in Kodi. The only problem is picture will look washed out. You can get also it to work with madVR, MPDN etc.

Brightness/Contrast settings will be specific for your setup.
It may be semantics. My understanding of clipping is when detail information is being permanently lost due to something in the video chain. Once it is lost, it cannot be recovered. That is not what is happening. Instead, the blacks are being crushed but the detail is still there and can be brought out by using the correct settings on the Q10 Pro which I mentioned above (as opposed to changing the settings on the display). Whites are also crushed by default but can be corrected by using the settings. This is what I meant by crushed. I mean a loss of detail at either end of the spectrum (in this case, both ends) which can be compensated for by using a particular setting on the device itself (not the display). If one were to change the settings on the display, all other sources would be displayed incorrectly so that is an unacceptable solution.

I don't know what is causing the issue I am seeing but I think you may be talking about something different. For instance, there was a slight problem with the Kodi DVD player but it was very slight. I am thinking that MAY be what you are talking about. When using the external Himedia player, however, the blacks were severely crushed. It is so bad, it is difficult to see what is going on in dark scenes. White has the same problem but to a slightly lesser degree. So, I know the Himedia player software is modifying the video regardless of the Imprex settings. That was my whole point.

Brightness / Contrast on the display will be specific to a particular display. However, once a display has been calibrated to the standard, if there is still a problem, it is in the playback device. I believe the Q10 Pro settings should be the same to get those devices to conform to any display which has been calibrated to the standard.

Messages In This Thread
HD Audio Problems with Q10 Pro - by BigPines - 2016-04-18, 18:34
RE: HiMedia Q10 Pro with Kodi: Reviews & User Impressions - by BigPines - 2016-04-21, 22:09
[Key map] Remote Control PATCH - by looun - 2016-09-20, 00:38
Egreat A10: real or fake? - by boblo - 2016-09-30, 03:34
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)8