v16 Music - A quick question about NFO And Tags
Hi there
Just to be sure of it, I hope someone can answer me this just to be sure.
Recently and due to the genre chaos I had in my tags, I decided to clean it, so I removed all my genre & style tags from my music files, and started using MediaElch just to get my library ready (It seems to grab those nice AMG genres and styles, at least in Artist level).
Scaned the library and now I have a cute music library that displays genres and styles for everything. BUT, when I go into the genre node, to browse them, it's empty. My question is just, is this how's supossed to be?. I mean, this is the normal behaviour right?, or did I miss something?. IF there's no genre in the file tag, the genre node is not populated even when u can see genres and styles in the library, right?

Thanks for clear it up for me.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
Yes.
God that was brief for me, but yes to all your questions.

The genre node is implicitly song genre and is derrived from the genre tag in your music files, the one you removed. So drilling down from genre to artist gives those artists that have albums with songs with that genre. Down form such an artist you get those albums with songs of that genre, and drilling down again you see those songs. It is also song genre that is used in smart playlists, and by the JSON API when filtering artists or albums by genre.

Artist genre can be loaded by scraping (from online or nfo file), and is displayed as part of artist info, but it is not used elsewhere.

Now some people don't like this use of song genre, but some people do. Personally I am happy with how Kodi currently works, it means that I can tag songs with genre and then use that to select artists without having to create NFO files or use someone elses ideas about artist genre. I would have sorted out those messy genre tags rather than removing them. But I can also understand that if you do get artist genre from elsewhere you might like to be able to use it.

When I get the time I would like to get Kodi to offer both approaches, and also make what is happening clearer (all uses of "genre" should be explicitly song, album or artist). Until then yes it is doing what is is supposed to do.
Got it, and thanks a lot for ur explanation.
I would have liked to be able to use these ones, however, if i didn't ever clean my genre tags in the first place, i would probably never have needed to use them, so that was probably a mistake as u stated, cause the reason to do all this work is to be able to use them, hahaha....
Anyway, I know u're working hard on this, I read some other posts, and I apreciate it. Music library is something i just wanna do within Kodi.
Now my brain is thinking how the hell bulk copy those genres in the nfo's to the proper file tags, hahahaha

Thanks for all the clarifications DaveBlake
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
BITD I used the last.fm scraper, and the entries for artist/album genre, moods, styles etc had no QC and were absolute rubbish. So I got in the habit of turning off the scraping of these in the scraper settings. Maybe I need to give them a second look.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music - A quick question about NFO And Tags0