• 137(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
Hey everyone,

I was directed here with my software-based issue for Kodi MVC decode and display. Hopefully this is the right thread, but if not, let me know and I'll move along.

I'm trying to get Kodi to decode my 3D bluray rip (via MakeMKV) and display it as squashed side-by-side. I'm using the 22-December-2016 Windows MVC build of Kodi to play back rips with MVC data that I've made with MakeMKV 1.10.4. My problem is that while Kodi's UI is showing up in 3D, the movie itself is showing up in 2D.

My setup is a Windows 10 PC with a GeForce GTX 970, an Oculus Rift, and using Bigscreen and/or Virtual Desktop for viewing. The Rift part of the pipeline shouldn't add any real complexity to the problem, as in this case the virtual desktop software is just taking the regular SBS output made by Kodi and doing all of the VR work on top of that.

Kodi's UI is set to SBS mode, and as I mentioned, showing up properly in 3D. For playback, the option for decoding 3D data from the movie stream is enabled, and I've tried both "ask me" and "Side By Side" for the 3D playback setting, with identical results. Not sure why Kodi is decoding/displaying identical L/R views for the movie.

If I disable "fullscreen window," I can still get a 3D Kodi UI, but then movie stretches across both eyes, with the left half of the frame going to the left eye, and the right half going to that eye.

I do know that the .mkv file has the MVC video stream included in it, since Stereoscopic Player is able to decode and display the movie properly for SBS playback. Also, Kodi is correctly displaying the 3D tag in the library. For reference, the movie is The Force Awakens from the 3D edition.

In Summary: Trying to get the MVC movie and UI to output as SBS on the desktop monitor (which is then passed to the virtual cinema display in the Rift). Everything seems to be working, except the same video frame is displayed to both eyes rather than a unique one to each eye.
(2017-01-02, 06:27)CyberWilhelm Wrote: Hey everyone,

I was directed here with my software-based issue for Kodi MVC decode and display. Hopefully this is the right thread, but if not, let me know and I'll move along.

I'm trying to get Kodi to decode my 3D bluray rip (via MakeMKV) and display it as squashed side-by-side. I'm using the 22-December-2016 Windows MVC build of Kodi to play back rips with MVC data that I've made with MakeMKV 1.10.4. My problem is that while Kodi's UI is showing up in 3D, the movie itself is showing up in 2D.

My setup is a Windows 10 PC with a GeForce GTX 970, an Oculus Rift, and using Bigscreen and/or Virtual Desktop for viewing. The Rift part of the pipeline shouldn't add any real complexity to the problem, as in this case the virtual desktop software is just taking the regular SBS output made by Kodi and doing all of the VR work on top of that.

Kodi's UI is set to SBS mode, and as I mentioned, showing up properly in 3D. For playback, the option for decoding 3D data from the movie stream is enabled, and I've tried both "ask me" and "Side By Side" for the 3D playback setting, with identical results. Not sure why Kodi is decoding/displaying identical L/R views for the movie.

If I disable "fullscreen window," I can still get a 3D Kodi UI, but then movie stretches across both eyes, with the left half of the frame going to the left eye, and the right half going to that eye.

I do know that the .mkv file has the MVC video stream included in it, since Stereoscopic Player is able to decode and display the movie properly for SBS playback. Also, Kodi is correctly displaying the 3D tag in the library. For reference, the movie is The Force Awakens from the 3D edition.

In Summary: Trying to get the MVC movie and UI to output as SBS on the desktop monitor (which is then passed to the virtual cinema display in the Rift). Everything seems to be working, except the same video frame is displayed to both eyes rather than a unique one to each eye.

I don't think you can get the MVC MKV file output as SBS using this version of Kodi (which would mean converting it from one format to another). Like I said in the other post, it is Hardware-based output to get the 3d MVC MKV file to display "Frame Packed" output. To get SBS output, I would imagine you would need to encode the file into an SBS format (you would lose picture quality - it would not be the original picture) - as far as I understand it Kodi cannot do this on the fly.
Also what hardware is your PC?

These builds pretty much work for specific Intel hardware using Intel HD graphics only (see first post) to provide hardware decoding (not software). There is a trick to possibly get it to work on other hardware (you will have to read through this forum), but that is not the general intent as I understand it.
(2017-01-02, 07:13)woronczak Wrote: I don't think you can get the MVC MKV file output as SBS using this version of Kodi (which would mean converting it from one format to another). Like I said in the other post, it is Hardware-based output to get the 3d MVC MKV file to display "Frame Packed" output. To get SBS output, I would imagine you would need to encode the file into an SBS format (you would lose picture quality - it would not be the original picture) - as far as I understand it Kodi cannot do this on the fly.
Hm, okay. I figured that the left and right views would be decoded from the MVC data and both resident in memory before display, rather than something else where they wouldn't be available. If they are resident in memory at some point, that's all the conversion that would be needed rather than re-encoding the source file. I totally get that the main use case for Kodi is outputting to a TV/projector (which I do elsewhere in my house), and that the requirements for setting all of the proper modes on the display device are more stringent there.

Still, what I want to do feels like it should be possible (like Stereoscopic Player does), but I'm not familiar with the internals of Kodi so maybe there's something fundamental that I'm not aware of.
(2017-01-02, 07:22)woronczak Wrote: Also what hardware is your PC?

These builds pretty much work for specific Intel hardware using Intel HD graphics only (see first post) to provide hardware decoding (not software). There is a trick to possibly get it to work on other hardware (you will have to read through this forum), but that is not the general intent as I understand it.
Ah, okay, didn't realize it was so focused on Intel hardware (despite the thread title, people seemed to be asking general support questions). My understanding was that if I wanted MVC decoding at all, that I would have to use this MVC build of Kodi.

What I'm looking for would probably require both frames be extracted from the MVC data before being sent off for display, since I'm guessing it's not possible to get that back from the hardware decoder. Should I be looking at mainline Kodi for that?

My CPU is an AMD FX-6350 (six coreas @ 3.9GHz), which should be plenty for the software decode if that's what's required. GPU is a NVIDIA GeForce 970, though that shouldn't matter too much given this new info.

Edit: Clarified that I was seeing general support questions here, not just for Intel hardware.
There is no guarantee that this will work on AMD platform. There will be no hardware decoding of MVC. It will have to be software decoded.

Download libmfx32 from this thread (the original Windows 3D MVC thread) - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=265299

You can download the latest Kodi MVC build here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2484613

The build per se doesn't have problem with SBS output. Whether you can get MVC decoding with your configuration is something that needs to be tested.
"Mainline" Kodi does not support MVC playback (will just play back one of the images and ignore the other, which is what you are getting with your tests), so you are a bit stuck I think

See if anyone else can give you any advice here, but I think you are out of luck.

Only other thing I can think of is there is another modified version of Kodi called Kodi DSPlayer (see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175) which uses a different built in player to play the videos in Kodi. I know this also supports 3d (although when I last used it a while ago, it was a bit inconsistent for this; the MVC builds just work). You might want to give that a go - maybe it is possible to change the output to SBS (I don't really know).
Just testing with my setup (Intel NUC D34010) onto a Benq W1070, you can get it to output SBS in Kodi if your hardware is supported, so I stand corrected (thanks wesk05). Only thing is that the resolution is 1920*1080, so that you get two pictures squashed into that resolution, instead of just one with the frame packing. So not sure if that is going to work for what you want it to anyways (the 3d picture this way is definitely not as good as the frame packing on my projector).
@afedchin,

Still got the issue that 3d mvc iso movies, played in 2d stops at a point, here during capt america, always at the same point.

Log:https://paste.ubuntu.com/23728428/
Video proof: https://youtu.be/IAk23cydrKY

This issue has always been there with kodi, i tried many times to get help to fix this but guess nobody truly wants to look into it, will post this in other part of kodi forum too

These files all play well with any other mediaplayer which isnt kodi

Playing in 3d doesnt have the error.

Hope you can help

Thx
Stijn
Code:
17:54:34.647 T:4896 WARNING: CDVDInputStreamBluray - unhandled libbluray event 2 [param 0]
17:54:34.647 T:4896   DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Logger - bluray.c:734: Read unit at 16957655040 failed !
something wrong with your ISO. perhaps you need to grab original bluray again. (event 2 means BD_EVENT_READ_ERROR)
Have watched several 3D ISO's w/12-22 build and it has been flawless for me.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2017-01-02, 19:25)hdmkv Wrote: Have watched several 3D ISO's w/12-22 build and it has been flawless for me.

in 2D right? i doubt it, honestly EVERY build, device with kodi has it here

any other device without kodi, not
(2017-01-02, 19:20)afedchin Wrote:
Code:
17:54:34.647 T:4896 WARNING: CDVDInputStreamBluray - unhandled libbluray event 2 [param 0]
17:54:34.647 T:4896   DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Logger - bluray.c:734: Read unit at 16957655040 failed !
something wrong with your ISO. perhaps you need to grab original bluray again. (event 2 means BD_EVENT_READ_ERROR)

Thx for your input so far, converting might fix it?
Why does any non kodi lpay it perfect then? It happens with ALL my iso´s played in 2d
afedchin, have you been able to find the cause of (or develop a fix for) MVC MKVs with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack? They playback perfectly until you try to FF/RW or chapter skip. To be honest I haven't tried it on mainline Kodi yet but it's the only issue I have with the MVC build that is still there. Thanks for all of your hard work and Happy New Year! Smile
Main: Intel NUC DN2820FYKH with Intel Celeron N2830 CPU, Windows 10 Professional 64bit, Intel® HD Graphics driver-version 10.18.10.4338. Running afedchin's Windows MVC 3D test build.
(2017-01-02, 21:24)Statikk Wrote: afedchin, have you been able to find the cause of (or develop a fix for) MVC MKVs with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack? They playback perfectly until you try to FF/RW or chapter skip. To be honest I haven't tried it on mainline Kodi yet but it's the only issue I have with the MVC build that is still there. Thanks for all of your hard work and Happy New Year! Smile
Out of curiosity, are you talking about a desync in the audio? I just tried that and experienced the same thing here.
  • 137(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10