• 225(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
(2019-06-17, 18:46)te36 Wrote:
(2019-06-15, 11:49)p750mmx Wrote: Edit: @te36, not anymore. You can read my signature to see the (2015) Oled model I have. The 2016 Oled models were also able to display 3D and then LG pulled the plug on that with the newer models. When I made the step to 4k Oled, I did that with my HTPC's also, and so I discovered that the 17 MVC build of Kodi could be used for Hardware Based 3D trough HDMI 1.4 and Full HD 3D on my 4K TV, by using the Interlaced method. I did a comparison some time ago, placed in this topic.
Trying to parse what you say:

Your current (from signature) 2018 panel OLED does NOT support 1.4 HDMI 3D input mode anymore ??

It does support passive 3D line interlaced for 4K signals ?

The 4K passive 3D sounds great, but not-supporting standard 1.4 HDMI 3D input does not make much sense given how all BD DV players only output that format, right ? Is there any commercial BD player that can upsample to the 4K line-interleaved format you use ?

Aka: Why would LG put money into the polarizing layer in the display to then only support a format no commercial DVD player supports...

Surely i am completely confused and misintepret what you meant to say ;-)) 
Lets try this again Wink

Maybe the "with 2018 panel" in my signature is a bit confusing, so let clear this up. I've got a new (in 2018) produced panel in my "old" 2015 model Oled TV regarding Burn-In issues. That panel is still capable of displaying 3D.

A 4k 3D Oled TV support a Hardware based 3D signal from a HTPC with a HDMI 1.4 port, no problem with that.
When using an "all Intel" hardwarebased HTPC with a HDMI 2.0(a) port, the hardware based (MVC) 3D isn't supported (this is related to the on-board lspcon converter, long story). I write "all Intel" because the graphics hardware used is also Intel (iGP), not from Nvidia or AMD.
When using a UHD BluRay player with a HDMI 2.0a port, 3D (MVC) works just fine.

So, in short, both 1.4 and 2.0(a) HDMI ports can be used for displaying 3D on my model TV. Hardware based (HDMI 1.4) and Interlace based (HDMI 2.0x).

Not to confuse you more that I already have Wink I have several (test)systems with other graphics on-board, one with Nvidia graphics (regarding my earlier reaction that 3D works with this Kodi 18 MVC build and Nvidia graphics). My main HTPC is the one in my signature, that one is connected to the Oled 3D TV.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Thanks for the explanations

a) Lucky you with your OLED. Seems i missed the window of opportunity. Checking around a bit, none of the non-retired models support passive 3D on 4K models, not only LG, but also all the other vendors. Really sad. One would have hoped that at least some of the niche high-end vendor/products would still support it to suck in some money for folks like me who still want to have it.

b) Is 4k line interlaced 3D actually a new format introduced with HDMI 2.0x or is your TV not really having to support it as a special mode, but just thinks its a 2D picture and the passive 3D filters on the display just do the rest ?

c) If you run the 18 MVC build on NVidia to display MVC files, you must know where to find the 64 bit version of that MVC library ;-)
(2019-06-18, 05:05)te36 Wrote: Thanks for the explanations

a) Lucky you with your OLED. Seems i missed the window of opportunity. Checking around a bit, none of the non-retired models support passive 3D on 4K models, not only LG, but also all the other vendors. Really sad. One would have hoped that at least some of the niche high-end vendor/products would still support it to suck in some money for folks like me who still want to have it.

b) Is 4k line interlaced 3D actually a new format introduced with HDMI 2.0x or is your TV not really having to support it as a special mode, but just thinks its a 2D picture and the passive 3D filters on the display just do the rest ?

c) If you run the 18 MVC build on NVidia to display MVC files, you must know where to find the 64 bit version of that MVC library ;-)
b) I think with the introduction of the 4k passive 3D TV's there is an upgrade for the 3D signal introduced. I don't think its a new format, just an enhanced one. With this specific MVC build (17 and 18), Kodi detects a 3D signal when playing 3D media and puts Kodi in 3D mode. Below = what I experience with Kodi, not when using something else for playing 3D.

- If the output = HDMI 1.4 > TV switches in 3D mode (popup 3D signal detection).
- If the output = HDMI 2.0 > TV doesn't switch in 3D mode, but putting a 3D picture on the screen.

The big difference between those 3D modes is that, with the TV in active 3D mode (popup notification), the brightness setting goes up, because the 3D glasses darkens the picture.
So wenn Kodi outputting the 3D Interlaced picture, nothing happens with the brightness. This is no problem whatsoever, when I press the 3D button on my remote, TV is still switching to active 3D mode and brightness goes up (but the 3D output stays the same). In most cases this isn't necessary, brightness is high enough from my TV. But with this, an extra feature is available (no need to manual changing picture settings of my TV) Smile

c)  I got this one  (wait for the download popup)
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Hello

Sorry to bother you all, but can someone point me towards which NUC I should buy for a Kodi Windows 10 or Linux (Libreelec, does it do HDR now with Linux?) Build?

I just need everything I can do with either my shield Tv or my Vero 4k, but I want a MUCH snappier experience especially in menus and I want perfect passthrough with no lip sync issues at all. I don‘t use Kodi for online streaming, only for playback my 23.976fps file in 1080p and 4K HDR. Perfect passthrough is important for my Dolby Atmos 7.1.2. sound system.

Money is not the problem, but I want it as silent as possible and power consumption max. 6-7W idle, 20W use.

I would really appreciate a starting point because I have never had a „conventional PC hardware“ Kodi build.
Alas, this discussion is very frustrating due to the inability to actually buy passive 4k 3D capable TV sets *sigh*.
Quote:b) I think with the introduction of the 4k passive 3D TV's there is an upgrade for the 3D signal introduced. I don't think its a new format, just an enhanced one. With this specific MVC build (17 and 18), Kodi detects a 3D signal when playing 3D media and puts Kodi in 3D mode. Below = what I experience with Kodi, not when using something else for playing 3D.

- If the output = HDMI 1.4 > TV switches in 3D mode (popup 3D signal detection).
- If the output = HDMI 2.0 > TV doesn't switch in 3D mode, but putting a 3D picture on the screen.

This actually sounds more as if there really is no new 3D forwarding at the HDMI level (and i did check in the past and couldn't find one). I think you are just getting 3D by virtue of passive 3D always being physcially available, so you just need to send the right picture, and the TV doesn't have to even know it's 3D.
Quote:The big difference between those 3D modes is that, with the TV in active 3D mode (popup notification), the brightness setting goes up, because the 3D glasses darkens the picture.
So wenn Kodi outputting the 3D Interlaced picture, nothing happens with the brightness. This is no problem whatsoever, when I press the 3D button on my remote, TV is still switching to active 3D mode and brightness goes up (but the 3D output stays the same). In most cases this isn't necessary, brightness is high enough from my TV. But with this, an extra feature is available (no need to manual changing picture settings of my TV) Smile
Yes, very nice. In my case, i have the opposite problem, and i don't know yet how to fix it, didn't get an answer on threads so far:

Using NVidia, there is only one 3D 1080p24 video mode, and 2D 1080pp50/60. My projector can only do 1080p24 "frame packing" 3D (irritatingly called "hardware accelerated" by kodi).

So what happens is that whenever i play a 2D 24p movie, kodi selects the 3D resolution as its the only 24p resolution, and then the projector recognizing frame packing is pumping up the brightness really badly (as necessary for 3D from a projector), so without glasses it really looks very ugly.

I tried to create another close-by custom resolution to get selected for 2D @24p, but kodi isn't picking it, so alas, i fear this needs some fixing at kodi level *sigh*.

Thanks for the pointer. Will try and report.
(2019-06-18, 18:49)Nickelig Wrote: Hello

Sorry to bother you all, but can someone point me towards which NUC I should buy for a Kodi Windows 10 or Linux (Libreelec, does it do HDR now with Linux?) Build?

I just need everything I can do with either my shield Tv or my Vero 4k, but I want a MUCH snappier experience especially in menus and I want perfect passthrough with no lip sync issues at all. I don‘t use Kodi for online streaming, only for playback my 23.976fps file in 1080p and 4K HDR. Perfect passthrough is important for my Dolby Atmos 7.1.2. sound system.

Money is not the problem, but I want it as silent as possible and power consumption max. 6-7W idle, 20W use.

I would really appreciate a starting point because I have never had a „conventional PC hardware“ Kodi build.
Being without 4k/HDR hardware, i only superficially looked into this for a friend who does have that type of display.

AFAIK, Intel does not support HDR on Atom. 4K in general is not an issue.

Not sure what you call snappy. my win10 atom PC is pretty "ok" when i only run kodi and nothing else. Alas, having a 120" front projection, i often end up putting kodi into a window and running browser (imdb, wiki for the movie i watch ;-), DVD rip'ing to disk or the like in parallel  and then atom sucks. Also netflix, HBO and other browser based streaming is a lot more snappy with a real CPU and more memory (my atom PC like most of them only has 4GByte, i'd highly recommend 8GB or more).

I bought for $400 on aliexpress a fanless mini PC with i5-7260/16G-BRAM/256GB-SSD/win10pro (min = still double the size of my atom pc). That one behaves "snappy" for me and should support HDR according to intel docs. Given how this is from china, there was no spec about the versions of the HDMI/DP outputs, but HDMI 1.4 frame packing 3D from kodi works on my 1080p TV. So maybe it has the latest version LSPCON firmware. Need to investigate more.

This is the box i bought:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33007122...4c4dhh7jOg

This Intel NUC should be similar except that it only has one HDMI output (no DP), one ethernet, a fan, but also IR receiver, comparable price:

https://nucblog.net/2017/05/kaby-lake-i5...nuc7i5bnk/
Hi @afedchin

any chance for a bump to 18.3?
Was looking at getting this one based of the specs given on the Google Spreadsheet.
https://www.zotac.com/product/mini_pcs/mi527-nano

Would this be good and will it work with the current builds. I probably will still use the Krypton build for now.
(2019-06-27, 22:45)Morpog Wrote: Hi @afedchin

any chance for a bump to 18.3?

18.3 shares the same stream detail bugs as 18.2.

I've gone back to 18.0 as it's the only version of 18 that works with the CinemaVision add-on. It seems to do all that I need at this point.
Whoops! The below was meant for the Cinema Vision thread. Will post this over there but leave it here for reasons.

Did some testing with the 18.0 MVC fork tonight but each 3D video, MVC or otherwise, seemed to freeze a few seconds in without ever activating sound on the receiver. Skipping back 10 seconds would re-start the video which would then play fine until the next 3D video.
Just wanted to add that having an Intel board with LSPCON / HDMI 2.0 port does not necessarily mean it wont work for MVC 3D. The HDMI 2.0 port on my Supermicro X11SCA works fine with hardware 3d including autodetect to an HDMI 1.3 3D TV. 

Also, a +1 from me for the bump to 18.3 as I'm effected occasionally by some of the TV/EPG bugs in 18.2.

Has anyone else tried any right eye first files? I checked the MKVs are marked correctly, 3D engages and the MVC decoder is used but there is no 3D effect at all.
Just a quick update on the right eye first issues I'm seeing. It seems Kodi detects right eye first media correctly, the majority of 3D movies are detected as "block_lr" but the right eye first ones are detected with as "block_rl". I suppose this is some sort of bug but if anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
(2019-06-28, 02:49)KrispyKreme Wrote: Was looking at getting this one based of the specs given on the Google Spreadsheet.

Would this be good and will it work with the current builds. I probably will still use the Krypton build for now.

Anybody know if this hardware will work?
(2019-07-04, 19:13)KrispyKreme Wrote:
(2019-06-28, 02:49)KrispyKreme Wrote: Was looking at getting this one based of the specs given on the Google Spreadsheet.

Anybody know if this hardware will work? 
I haven't tried it but chances are not brilliant looking at other users. I have a working Coffeelake HDMI2.0 output for 3D but a lot of people have trouble with HDMI 2.0 ports, the HDMI 1.4 ports which do not use the display port converter are generally more successful for MVC 3d.
(2019-06-18, 22:28)te36 Wrote: This is the box i bought:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33007122...4c4dhh7jOg
Btw: just verified that the March 2019 Kodi 18.2 64 bit build from the first post in this thread works fine with Frame Packet HDMI 1.4a (full 1080 SBS, 24fps) for BD MVC material on the HDMI output port of that Kaby Lake box (Intel i5-7260U). 64 bit Windows 10 pro is Build 17134. 

Experience with Blu Ray menu operation in 18.2 is "ok", sometimes it works, sometimes the menu doesn't recognize the player as capable of 3D and then i have to play the 3D movie from the playlist, which always works. Have not yet installed Oracle Java to see what difference it would make.

Alas only HDMI 1.4a display here right now, so i can not check 4K/HDR now. Hopefully later.

The first post claims that 3D only works on "ancient" hardware. Not sure if Kaby Lake is already ancient ;-)

Given the speed of the i5 and ability to have 16 Gbyte in it, i prefer that for home over a lower end fixed memory atom box.

The azulle byte3 atom 3455 box i have is better for travel though, half price, half size and fits an internal 2.5" hdd.
  • 225(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10