• 2(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
For me it is very hard to decide.
I get for 120€ a Intel DN2820FYKH. RAM and a 2,5" 64GB SSD i have at home and no costs.
If i take the nuc 6th gen, then the nuc cost 280€ plus new RAM and SSD. Thats very expensive and that only for lip sync.
I dont know what to do?!
(2016-03-28, 16:52)DeejayT Wrote: For me it is very hard to decide.
I get for 120€ a Intel DN2820FYKH. RAM and a 2,5" 64GB SSD i have at home and no costs.
If i take the nuc 6th gen, then the nuc cost 280€ plus new RAM and SSD. Thats very expensive and that only for lip sync.
What should i do guys?

You can take you chances on the DN2820 and hopeAngel @afedchin will fix the LIP-SYNC issue.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Just my 2 cents, but the audio sync error is minor w/Intel DN2820FYKH. It may or may not bother you. And, there are workarounds as we've just discussed...

1. Try quick, brief fast-forwarding or fast-reversing to get audio back in sync (easiest)
2. Skip ahead or back a chapter
3. Convert 3D ISO's to MVC MKV's (not that I'd do this myself as my other 3D media players don't support MVC MKV)
4. Try audio offset in Kodi (see @brazen1's post just below)
5. Try audio offset in your AVR for that HDMI input
6. advancedsettings.xml may be an option; need to read up and find out if audio offset can be applied to ISO's only
7. Try more RAM. I use 4GB. Maybe 8GB will help, maybe not, don't know
8. Like movie78 noted, maybe @afedchin can squash the lip sync error with newer builds (and possible performance tweaks for 3D ISO)
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Can someone clarify to me why people are still recommending 6th gen with all the reports of NUC's dying out? Even Intel admitted the mistake and are revising design (due in april) and even there are some claims that it doesn't 100% solve the problem, it just fixes some compatibility with certain RAM sticks.
(2016-03-28, 16:26)hdmkv Wrote: Think I'll use audio delay (actually audio advancement using minus 500ms) adjustment for now w/my Celeron NUC for 3D ISO's, then wait for Kaby Lake... hopefully we'll see NUC's w/it by Holidays.

@brazen1, re: the audio offset via Kodi, does it affect all videos? Wouldn't want that as 3D MVC & 2D MKV's are playing w/o audio sync error.

Yes, it is a global setting. That's why I suggested you map 'A' using device mce keyboard and add it as a custom button. This way you can adjust on the fly. It's literally as much effort as turning the volume up or down. (Press mapped button, osd of it displays, press left or right direction button, press enter when finished). You can watch the lip sync in real time, on the fly, since the osd is tiny.

This is what you want to enter for Microsoft Device http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Re...m-p/346517
This is also very handy http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Re...m-p/374844

It's all I use and believe me when I tell you EVERYTHING you could ever want is here.
Understand, there are some keys in the 1st device, that are different in the 2nd device.
What you are trying to do is use a blend of both of these devices, through trial and error, to find which blend of keys works best for you.
For example, I want a key that not only controls something in KODI, I want that key I map to also control PDVD.
So, if a button works in KODI, but not PDVD, I opt for another key from the other device and test if it will now control both.
Somehow, (lots of trial and error) I managed exactly that.
I understand you aren't using PDVD but maybe another device like your AVR subwoofer setting or something like that.
Hope you understand.

Again, here are KODI mappings http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard

You can google mappings for other devices such as an RPI, PDVD, your display, etc.
The object is not to have to switch around devices to get to the controls for them and just have common keys so you don't have to fumble around digging through your remote menus.
Good luck.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
@melhemk, didn't know Intel had acknowledged design issues w/Skylake. Added link to your post on p.1.

@brazen1, excellent post, thanks. Added link to it from p.1 as well. (Edit: your 2nd link above is broken.)
My Family Room Theater
@hdmkv probably someone with better knowledge can also comment on it, but Intel community forums are full of reports of dying NUC's (even people who claimed that their NUC is fine later came on to report that it died).
Just search for WHEA error and see the number of reports.
As well as this PCN for I3 and I5 NUC's saying that Intel will change 3 capacitor's values (due in april?) suggests a major problem in the design. Then again this post on Intel Community forums says that Intel are not positive this change will completely solve the WHEA issue, and further investigations are going on.

Edit: Also this page that shows Intel is currently working on this WHEA issue but still hasn't identified or corrected the problem (last update on 21-March is basically suggesting to revert the update before Big Grin)

2nd Edit: I am suggesting to avoid Skylake NUC for now, not Skylake H/W, as the problem in the board Intel is using for their NUC, obviously you will not have this problem with a another Skylake product running on a different motherboard.
(2016-03-28, 16:52)DeejayT Wrote: For me it is very hard to decide.
I dont know what to do?!

sounds like 6th gen nuc isnt the way to go for sure at this point.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2016-03-28, 15:48)movie78 Wrote: NUC5PGYH quad-core Intel® Pentium® processor N3700 2GB DDR3L Yes Yes Full Yes Yes 2 Yes Yes
NUC5PPYH quad-core Intel® Pentium® processor N3700 DDR3L Yes Yes Full Yes Yes 2 Yes Yes
I'm reading no HD audio w/N3700 under Windows.

Looks like i3-5010U NUC may be a good option? Around $220+ used on eBay. And, here's a user post from a year ago that it does do HD audio, but also notes some 'cons', which I don't know if they were solved or not. Not buying one, but would be nice to verify as suitable for those wanting i3 vs. Celeron.

Another consideration: Dell Inspiron i3050 w/Celeron J1800 vs. N2820 NUC. Former appears to have slightly better performance, maybe just enough to give 3D ISO's that extra boost they seem to need? Also Dell is $155-160 w/Windows 10, 2 GB RAM and 32 GB SSD all included.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-03-28, 19:51)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-03-28, 15:48)movie78 Wrote: NUC5PGYH quad-core Intel® Pentium® processor N3700 2GB DDR3L Yes Yes Full Yes Yes 2 Yes Yes
NUC5PPYH quad-core Intel® Pentium® processor N3700 DDR3L Yes Yes Full Yes Yes 2 Yes Yes
I'm reading no HD audio w/N3700 under Windows.

AIUI none of the Braswell Celerons support HD Audio bitstreamed in Windows (doesn't the N2820 Bay Trail only do it with a very specific driver - close to a hack?), though they will support lossless decode to HD and the boxes support 5.1/7.1 PCM output over HDMI - so you can still get lossless decodes for all but DTS:X/Dolby Atmos in newer Kodi builds?

Seems to be a Windows divide between Atom-based Celerons (Braswell, Bay Trail, Cherry Trail etc.) and Core-based Celerons (Haswell, Broadwell etc.) when it comes to HD Audio bitstreaming?

*EDIT : N2820 Bay Trail - not sure about N2830 - appears to be HD Audio-friendly with standard drivers in Windows *
No hack w/N2820. It does HD audio w/Intel driver utility suggested driver for Windows. There's a different one for Win10 and Win8 if I recall correctly when I set-it up couple weeks ago. All formats bitstream except DD+, which seems to not be working w/Kodi 17 builds overall.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-03-28, 23:17)hdmkv Wrote: No hack w/N2820. It does HD audio w/Intel driver utility suggested driver for Windows. There's a different one for Win10 and Win8 if I recall correctly when I set-it up couple weeks ago. All formats bitstream except DD+, which seems to not be working w/Kodi 17 builds overall.
Ah - I must have mis-remembered discussions when it first arrived.
In general, Intel's graphics and other drivers situation seem to be a bit of a mess. One version per Intel site, a different one via Windows Update, and yet a different one via Intel's Driver Utility. Last method seems most reliable.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-03-28, 17:37)hdmkv Wrote: @melhemk, didn't know Intel had acknowledged design issues w/Skylake. Added link to your post on p.1.

@brazen1, excellent post, thanks. Added link to it from p.1 as well. (Edit: your 2nd link above is broken.)

Link fixed.
Hey, don't you have a DD+ sample someplace?
Wanted to test it on Nvidia HDMI passthrough, then we know if it's v.17, afedchin build, or NUC hardware.
Got a link? I'll test it for you guys. I'm not using NUC you know......
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2016-03-28, 23:28)hdmkv Wrote: In general, Intel's graphics and other drivers situation seem to be a bit of a mess. One version per Intel site, a different one via Windows Update, and yet a different one via Intel's Driver Utility. Last method seems most reliable.

Yes - and the default settings that the current Intel drivers for Haswell NUCs (as installed by the Driver Utility) are shocking. The default Noise Reduction on my install was really nasty and smeary.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10