• 27(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
(2016-04-12, 16:39)melhemk Wrote: @movie78 I hope you can cancel the order,
It seems Intel are close to fix the WHEA error but not quite there yet, they have been releasing updates to the public though after a period of silence.
https://communities.intel.com/message/386298#386298
Probably it is safer to stick to older 5th gen, or hold off until Intel fixes this issue, but then again kaby lake would be around the corner :/ so.....yeah....

seems extremely isolated, they would pull them off the shelf if there was a big problem, wouldn't they?. a few of those dying/dead nuc reports looked to be some some sort of bios/fan not starting problem which would cause possible overheating and maybe even permanent damage.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
It seems Intel are close to fix the WHEA error but not quite there yet, they have been releasing updates to the public though after a period of silence.
Probably it is safer to stick to older 5th gen, or hold off until Intel fixes this issue, but then again kaby lake would be around the corner :/ so.....yeah....

Damn Damn!!!

The price different between the i5 and i6 are practically the same that is why I went with the i6
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-04-12, 16:52)movie78 Wrote:

Damn Damn!!!

The price different between the i5 and i6 are practically the same that is why I went with the i6

i think it was a good choice.. performance is better with skylake.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
+1, I'd keep it and see if it delivers. We've done our share as guinea pigs, so what's one more?! Big Grin Wink
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-04-12, 16:56)hdmkv Wrote: +1, I'd keep it and see if it delivers. We've done our share as guinea pigs, so what's one more?! Big Grin Wink
Tell me about it.

Lol!!!

Quote:i think it was a good choice.. performance is better with skylake.

Thanks!

The only reason why I return my first was because of blurriness in 3D MVC and issue with my NewEgg order,did not have any WHEA error
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
@dukester they are in fact pulling them out, and they are releasing a new revision with revised capacitor values, if you read around the forums you can see that it is more than an isolated incidents (even people reporting their NUC working are coming later to say it died), also if you read the link, a "Task Force" for an extremely isolated case?
The thing is, nobody knows how this can be solved yet, it might be a BIOS update later on, revised hardware, new chip revision, so I guess if it is only a software problem there shouldn't be an issue if you buy one now.

@movie78 well, there is no harm in trying, apparently they are always replacing these dead NUC´s due to WHEA error. and you can always hope for the error to be software part.

@hdmkv the WHEA error is basically the BSOD (blue screen of death) with a different error code (starts with WHEA) that is currently affecting NUC users, it starts a couple of times each day, then it gets worse to the point that you are stuck in an infinite loop (reboot then WHEA...) till the NUC dies :/

Edit:- @movie78 as I said don't be afraid, you can keep replacing it, over the intel forums you can read about people who are currently on their third or fourth NUC and counting, most probably also even if it is hardware related you will be able to replace with a newer revision for free. The thing is that currently it is hard to say what will be since nobody really knows the cause or the fix.
Also you might be one of the rare lucky ones who didn't face the problem.
I suggest you read around the Intel community forum as it seems some people are having luck when they update their bios on first start (even before OS installation) and some other recommendations there. Also seems there is a newer hardware revision (april rev.) that seems to be performing slightly better.
so all in all, wish you luck with it, and keep an eye on the forums there.
@ skank.
I see you are having problems installing W10.
If you are upgrading to W10, use Media Creation Tool from MS x64 or x32 and select upgrade unless you are upgrading from desktop using icon next to clock (only available if ALL updates are current)

If you are reinstalling an already registered W10 device, use Media Creation Tool from MS x64 or x32 and select create media for any PC.

You cannot use a USB stick from another device with it's copy of W10 on it. It will either hang on the install or decline registration.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
The stick with win10 i use for clean install works perfectly Wink
(except on my nuc lol)
Here are some new numbers for AV-sync errors for 3D and 2D playback. These were measured from a different display (Sony 1080p). So, they are a little different from the ones that I had posted earlier. The earlier ones were measured from a Samsung UHD TV. The AVR is the same in both the cases - Denon X6200W. These numbers are not absolute and only represent my system. The purpose of the test was to provide an objective comparison of the errors between the different Kodi builds. I am not trying to delineate the intrinsic delay that may be associated with Kodi/AVR/display.

Numbers are in +ms and for bitstreamed audio. 2D - m2ts 3D - MVC ISO

The numbers are average of at least 10 measurements after 1.5 min of playback of the test pattern. I am noticing that playback starts with a larger error and after ~1.25 min it usually drops quite a lot and remains stable for the remaining period.
(2016-04-11, 22:37)wizziwig Wrote: I assume it times the delay between a sound coming out of your speakers and a strobe/flash of light coming out of your display? Most displays have an inherent lag to begin with - LCD because of pixel response or video processing.

When you look at the 'o' codec info, is there a delay displayed there?

It's been a long time since I've done any testing but when i removed that 175ms delay, I saw no significant difference on my Chromebox vs. a stand-alone BD player. My method of comparison rules out any issues coming from Display or AVR delay. I simply captured the HDMI output of each player and then compared them in an editor where I could see the video and matching audio data for each frame. For reference, I also decoded the original file on a PC and extracted perfectly synced video and audio tracks. The HDMI output was within 1 frame of reference. This was for a single 24p AC3 bitstreamed test file. Can't guarantee all other files and formats were equally in-sync.

Yes, that is pretty much how the device works. It times the difference between audio (beep) and video (flash) present in test patterns. Yes, the measurements will include inherent delays of all devices in your system.

I haven't noticed any extra delay in codec info overlay. Will have to double check.

HDMI capture may work for Dolby Digital audio. I am not sure I know of any consumer or pro capture card that supports Dolby TrueHD or DTS. In fact, I am not sure what kind of capture card that you used to capture AC3. I know of only the Hauppauge Colossus that does that short of using something like a Teranex processor. How exactly did you match encoded AC3 audio to a video frame? It would be interesting to read more about your methodology and test results. Have you posted this on any forum/website?
@weks05, very interesting results, thanks. Even in the worst case (248 ms) you got though, that audio delay is only about 1/4 of a second. Not sure I'd notice. On DN2820 Celeron, with March 25 build, with 3D ISO, I'd guess the audio delay was about 1/2 a second, which was noticeable.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-04-12, 19:04)wesk05 Wrote: Here are some new numbers for AV-sync errors for 3D and 2D playback. These were measured from a different display (Sony 1080p). So, they are a little different from the ones that I had posted earlier. The earlier ones were measured from a Samsung UHD TV. The AVR is the same in both the cases - Denon X6200W. These numbers are not absolute and only represent my system. The purpose of the test was to provide an objective comparison of the errors between the different Kodi builds. I am not trying to delineate the intrinsic delay that may be associated with Kodi/AVR/display.

Numbers are in +ms and for bitstreamed audio. 2D - m2ts 3D - MVC ISO

The numbers are average of at least 10 measurements after 1.5 min of playback of the test pattern. I am noticing that playback starts with a larger error and after ~1.25 min it usually drops quite a lot and remains stable for the remaining period.

Great job, I think you post these test results in the Dev Thread so @afedchin can see it.
Maybe we should test with the main branch (non-MVC) Kodi builds and see what we get?
My Family Room Theater
(2016-04-12, 19:33)hdmkv Wrote: Maybe we should test with the main branch (non-MVC) Kodi builds and see what we get?

Good posting , espescially for lip sync
(2016-04-12, 19:31)hdmkv Wrote: @weks05, very interesting results, thanks. Even in the worst case (248 ms) you got though, that audio delay is only about 1/4 of a second. Not sure I'd notice.

Seriously? 1/4 of a second would be unwatchable for me. That's around 6 frames at 24p. Once you get to that level it starts to look like you are watching a dubbed movie. Most people speak at around 3 words per second, so you are almost a word out of sync.
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10