Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
(2016-04-11, 22:37)wizziwig Wrote: I assume it times the delay between a sound coming out of your speakers and a strobe/flash of light coming out of your display? Most displays have an inherent lag to begin with - LCD because of pixel response or video processing.

When you look at the 'o' codec info, is there a delay displayed there?

It's been a long time since I've done any testing but when i removed that 175ms delay, I saw no significant difference on my Chromebox vs. a stand-alone BD player. My method of comparison rules out any issues coming from Display or AVR delay. I simply captured the HDMI output of each player and then compared them in an editor where I could see the video and matching audio data for each frame. For reference, I also decoded the original file on a PC and extracted perfectly synced video and audio tracks. The HDMI output was within 1 frame of reference. This was for a single 24p AC3 bitstreamed test file. Can't guarantee all other files and formats were equally in-sync.

Yes, that is pretty much how the device works. It times the difference between audio (beep) and video (flash) present in test patterns. Yes, the measurements will include inherent delays of all devices in your system.

I haven't noticed any extra delay in codec info overlay. Will have to double check.

HDMI capture may work for Dolby Digital audio. I am not sure I know of any consumer or pro capture card that supports Dolby TrueHD or DTS. In fact, I am not sure what kind of capture card that you used to capture AC3. I know of only the Hauppauge Colossus that does that short of using something like a Teranex processor. How exactly did you match encoded AC3 audio to a video frame? It would be interesting to read more about your methodology and test results. Have you posted this on any forum/website?

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.3 Average

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel-specific HTPC/NUC Selection w/reliable MVC 3D ISO - by wesk05 - 2016-04-12, 19:18
What about xvYCC / x.v.Color - by ma9ick - 2016-04-15, 14:01
June 30 download link broken? - by CooperCGN - 2016-08-02, 08:18