• 152(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
AL and/or KL can output stereo 3D as previous generations. These CPUs has native support of DisplayPort and HDMI1.4 only and has no DP->HDMI2.0 chips inside themselves. The HDMI 2.0 is implemented on motherboards by a manufacturer of motherboard.
So to summarise for AL/KL platforms (not just NUCs) :

1. If your device has HDMI 2.0 output - then chances are this output won't support 3D Frame Packed output as it will have been through a DP 1.2->HDMI 2.0 converter chip that doesn't support this.
2. If your device has HDMI 1.4 output - then chances are this output WILL support 3D Frame Packed output.
3. If your device has DVI output - then chances are this output will actually be HDMI 1.4 brought out onto a DVI connector (there is no native DVI support?) and this output WILL support 3D Frame Packed output?
4. If your device has a Display port output that supports DP->HDMI 1.4 "passive" converters (where the DP output 'becomes' HDMI rather than the adaptor actively converting formats) then this output may also support 3D Frame Packed output?

AIUI the same rules may also apply to HD Audio - or has this been fixed in case 1. now?

Basically - HDMI 2.0 outputs are handled by a DP->HDMI 2.0 active conversion outside of the CPU/GPU on the motherboard - and the conversion doesn't deliver all formats that you might hope?
(2017-02-14, 12:52)noggin Wrote: So to summarise for AL/KL platforms (not just NUCs) :

1. If your device has HDMI 2.0 output - then chances are this output won't support 3D Frame Packed output as it will have been through a DP 1.2->HDMI 2.0 converter chip that doesn't support this.
2. If your device has HDMI 1.4 output - then chances are this output WILL support 3D Frame Packed output.
3. If your device has DVI output - then chances are this output will actually be HDMI 1.4 brought out onto a DVI connector (there is no native DVI support?) and this output WILL support 3D Frame Packed output?
4. If your device has a Display port output that supports DP->HDMI 1.4 "passive" converters (where the DP output 'becomes' HDMI rather than the adaptor actively converting formats) then this output may also support 3D Frame Packed output?

AIUI the same rules may also apply to HD Audio - or has this been fixed in case 1. now?

Basically - HDMI 2.0 outputs are handled by a DP->HDMI 2.0 active conversion outside of the CPU/GPU on the motherboard - and the conversion doesn't deliver all formats that you might hope?
is there some device with HDMI2.0 and frame packed 3D output? The Beebox-S 7100U seems to work only connected to the HDMI 1.4 port and not the 2.0 one?

@HDMKV: you should extend your section: Popular Kodi Boxes that DO NOT Support MVC 3D:
Noggin, that's true there is also an HD audio issue. WTF, first tests seemed fine
but recognized it today...
(2017-02-14, 11:25)afedchin Wrote: AL and/or KL can output stereo 3D as previous generations. These CPUs has native support of DisplayPort and HDMI1.4 only and has no DP->HDMI2.0 chips inside themselves. The HDMI 2.0 is implemented on motherboards by a manufacturer of motherboard.
I'm confuesed, the NUC6CAYH had already that DP->HDMI2 chip inside = won't work. I had assumed that the NUC7i3BNK had also these chip inside, or not?
Based on @noggin's post, it would follow that neither NUC6CAYH nor NUC7i3BNK will support 3D MVC. Back to what I asked a page back...
(2017-02-13, 19:00)hdmkv Wrote: Given the situation, only option for now for those of wanting MVC and 4K appears to be Beebox-S? 7100U or 7200U.
@Caramba69 and @movie78 have confirmed for both those Beebox-S variants.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
[solved]
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2017-02-02, 17:59)p750mmx Wrote:
(2017-02-02, 17:20)p750mmx Wrote: In what resolution/refreshrate did you set the Windows desktop and within the Kodi settings? Do you use 4K upscaling on the Yamaha?
and besides the last question above (still not answered), do you have auto refreshrate active in Kodi and do you have the problems with al sorts media, is it with 2D or 3D or both?

Can you place some screenshots (Kodi audio and video-settings)?
Thanks for trying to help. In the meantime i could solve the issue. It was caused by only having installed a single ram. Since installing a second one for dual channel operation everything plays fine. I did not know that installing only a single ram has such an impact on this NUC.
FYI - 3D does work!

Windows 10 - all latest intel drivers - Intel NUC7i3BNK. Kodi 17.

Just watched Mr Peregrines movie...in full 3D (3D BluRay iso)...amazing!
That is good news! I assume you have to set the resolution to 1920x1080 for 3D MVC to work? ...and set it to 4K for 4K playback? Or can 4K be played in 4K resolution with desktop set to 1920x1080?

Also, do you have an AVR connected between your NUC and display? If so, what kind of AVR? Thanks.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2017-02-14, 20:59)hdmkv Wrote: That is good news! I assume you have to set the resolution to 1920x1080 for 3D MVC to work? ...and set it to 4K for 4K playback? Or can 4K be played in 4K resolution with desktop set to 1920x1080?

Also, do you have an AVR connected between your NUC and display? If so, what kind of AVR? Thanks.

Nope! Left as auto detected 2160p resolution.

No avr - direct connection to tv.

Only thing I changed was set 3d stereoscopic mode to default, set auto refresh to always. That's it!

Stunning quality. So much better than my himedia q10 pro android box.

Worth every penny.
(2017-02-14, 20:52)safcsat Wrote: FYI - 3D does work!

Nice to hear, the NUC6CAYH definitly doesn't work.
(2017-02-14, 23:02)querty1000 Wrote:

Nice to hear, the NUC6CAYH definitly doesn't work.

Super happy here, was only after I ordered that I read horror stories of it not working. Was so happy to see it did after all.
(2017-02-14, 16:00)hdmkv Wrote: Based on @noggin's post, it would follow that neither NUC6CAYH nor NUC7i3BNK will support 3D MVC. Back to what I asked a page back...
(2017-02-13, 19:00)hdmkv Wrote: Given the situation, only option for now for those of wanting MVC and 4K appears to be Beebox-S? 7100U or 7200U.
@Caramba69 and @movie78 have confirmed for both those Beebox-S variants.

It could be that there have been updates to the DP->HDMI 2.0 converter that have added 3D support - or some chips do and some don't?

Or is this a Kaby vs Apollo Lake difference?
(2017-02-14, 23:04)safcsat Wrote:
(2017-02-14, 23:02)querty1000 Wrote:

Nice to hear, the NUC6CAYH definitely doesn't work.

Super happy here, was only after I ordered that I read horror stories of it not working. Was so happy to see it did after all.

This is great!!!

Maybe you should provide some settings to help others.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
  • 152(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10