preferred mode (same as movie)

monoscopic/2d

select alternate mode:

disabled

same as movie

over/under

side by side

and some other modes

what is the "preferred mode" and the "same as movie" mode?

which one ist the best mode for watching 3d media? The best option is 3D Full SBS (3840x1080), but i dont know in which mode it is.

(2017-02-19, 22:12)DeejayT Wrote: Hi,

when i start a 3d film (bluray 3d iso) i have the following choises:

monoscopic/2d

select alternate mode:

disabled

same as movie

over/under

side by side

and some other modes

which one ist the best mode for watching 3d media? The best option is 3D Full SBS (3840x1080), but i dont know in which mode it is.

Preferred Mode Same As Movie is the best option for 3D ISO
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2017-02-19, 23:44)movie78 Wrote:

monoscopic/2d

select alternate mode:

disabled

same as movie

over/under

side by side

and some other modes

Can I JUST (edit: didn't realise I typed kiss!!) clarify mate, although I can't get 'hardware' to work for 3D, and it still looks amazing without. Am I actually missing out?
(2017-02-20, 19:00)safcsat Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 23:44)movie78 Wrote:

monoscopic/2d

select alternate mode:

disabled

same as movie

over/under

side by side

and some other modes

Can I JUST (edit: didn't realise I typed kiss!!) clarify mate, although I can't get 'hardware' to work for 3D, and it still looks amazing without. Am I actually missing out?

the only way you know if you are missing out is to put your original disc into your 3D player and see if it looks any different to *your* eyes vs your backup which is not reproducing the picture as encoded on the bluray.

the OLED sets - I have one too - 2016 model - are simply stunning wrt 3D. my backups looks incredible with the decoded MVC by this kodi build.

it's all subjecting anyway: if it looks good to you, anything else is just satisfying your curiosity.
Hi, my problem with 3d is when I start a film in preferred mode kodi start the film in over/under and  the picture is not so smooth. But when I start the film in side by side, the picture is fine and looks smooth. So I think the side by side option is better. But I dont know if is half SBS or full SBS.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk
Full sbs and full tab should look identical. Half resolution is a different story. I find half tab slightly better than half sbs.

Resolution of material you can check with media info (not sure whether pressing o in kodi will give source resolution).

For testing you may want to consider buying a Rpi 3. Even with libreelec (which is extremely simple to install), full 3d frame pack works right out of the box. You can even force 3d frame pack output.

Then you now for sure that everything in your setup is able to handle 3d frame pack signal correctly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
(Ps: I'm switching back to PC now as Rpi is not able to handle all sound formats and pq I for 2d is not superb)

Sent from my HTC One_M8
(2017-02-21, 09:55)dexter98 Wrote: Full sbs and full tab should look identical. Half resolution is a different story. I find half tab slightly better than half sbs.

Resolution of material you can check with media info (not sure whether pressing o in kodi will give source resolution).

For testing you may want to consider buying a Rpi 3. Even with libreelec (which is extremely simple to install), full 3d frame pack works right out of the box. You can even force 3d frame pack output.

Then you now for sure that everything in your setup is able to handle 3d frame pack signal correctly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 (typie typie)

Great idea! RPi3 ordered Smile
(2017-02-20, 19:00)safcsat Wrote: Can I JUST (edit: didn't realise I typed kiss!!) clarify mate, although I can't get 'hardware' to work for 3D, and it still looks amazing without. Am I actually missing out?
I don't think that you're missing out with a Oled 4K 3D TV and using this specific build for Kodi.

I compared almost everything that can be compared and there is no visible difference between a HTPC with HDMI 1.4 1080p that outputs BluRay 3D and using the "hardware" setting or using the setup that is described in my signature. It just looks great and I use the 4K/60Hz resolution as a default on desktop and in Kodi. For me this works for all the media I use, and that is quite raging I can tell you.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Looking at building a HTCP purely for kodi w/3d. Anyone here have experience with the J3455 motherboards? Seems like it could be a really cheap way to setup a 4k nuc, but they seem to be having a stock shortage, and they're not mentioned on the compatibility list either way.
(2017-02-21, 19:36)p750mmx Wrote:
(2017-02-20, 19:00)safcsat Wrote: Can I JUST (edit: didn't realize I typed kiss!!) clarify mate, although I can't get 'hardware' to work for 3D, and it still looks amazing without. Am I actually missing out?
I don't think that you're missing out with a Oled 4K 3D TV and using this specific build for Kodi.

I compared almost everything that can be compared and there is no visible difference between an HTPC with HDMI 1.4 1080p that outputs BluRay 3D and using the "hardware" setting or using the setup that is described in my signature. It just looks great and I use the 4K/60Hz resolution as a default on a desktop and in Kodi. For me, this works for all the media I use, and that is quite raging I can tell you.

So you're using the HDMI 2.0 to get 4K@60hz?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2017-02-21, 19:36)p750mmx Wrote:
(2017-02-20, 19:00)safcsat Wrote: Can I JUST (edit: didn't realise I typed kiss!!) clarify mate, although I can't get 'hardware' to work for 3D, and it still looks amazing without. Am I actually missing out?

I compared almost everything that can be compared and there is no visible difference between a HTPC with HDMI 1.4 1080p that outputs BluRay 3D and using the "hardware" setting or using the setup that is described in my signature. It just looks great and I use the 4K/60Hz resolution as a default on desktop and in Kodi. For me this works for all the media I use, and that is quite raging I can tell you.

Perfect that's just what I wanted to hear, thank you!
(2017-02-21, 19:49)filmgeek47 Wrote: Looking at building a HTCP purely for kodi w/3d. Anyone here have experience with the J3455 motherboards? Seems like it could be a really cheap way to setup a 4k nuc, but they seem to be having a stock shortage, and they're not mentioned on the compatibility list either way.
I own this board (in use as nas) and quickly tested last weekend via dvi-to-hdmi cable to circumvent onboard dp-to-hdmi issues.

Latest libreelec played almost all material incl atmos & dts-x except fhd 3d just right out of the box. No issues at all (but only tested very short & quickly)

There are actually 2 flavors of that board.

#1 J3455 with the 'buggy' dp to hdmi converter. That board has also optical out and 4x sata.

#2 J3455B cheaper version without optical, only 2x sata but also without the buggy converter, so direct hdmi 1.4 from the chipset.

As I don't care about 4k (60hz; 30hz is still supported) but do care about hd audio pass-through and mvc and possibility to decode (& downscale) 4k material on my 1080p displays, #2 seems to be best option for me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
(2017-02-21, 11:16)safcsat Wrote:
(2017-02-21, 09:55)dexter98 Wrote: Full sbs and full tab should look identical. Half resolution is a different story. I find half tab slightly better than half sbs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 (typie typie)

Great idea! RPi3 ordered Smile

the RPi3 handles mvc 3D well. i used to use it before finding the mvc kodi build.

the video quality of the RPi3 is pretty weak as compared to a PC video card. it has way too much color banding/solarization for my tastes and OLED only amplifies this. i could never tweak it well enough to eliminate this and on some movies, particularly with deep reds and blues it was distracting.

i thought it was the movies themselves, but straight off disc in my oppo, the picture was superior to the RPi3 playing back the mkv

the only card in fact that i was able to achieve the oppo quality with was an nvidia card - GTX 960M i think. even the intel 5100 has some issues, but is noticably better than the RPi

YMMV of course - too many variables and many are subjective

i think my next htpc will be a gaming hybrid. looking at the nvidia gtx 1080. hdmi 2.0b. and Nvidia are pretty solid with driver support
(2017-02-22, 02:49)TheShoe Wrote: the video quality of the RPi3 is pretty weak as compared to a PC video card. it has way too much color banding/solarization for my tastes and OLED only amplifies this. i could never tweak it well enough to eliminate this and on some movies, particularly with deep reds and blues it was distracting.
Have to agree w/you on this (it's more that the colors are a bit on the flat side), plus the fact that RPi2/3 (even overclocked) is kinda sluggish, especially compared to other decent 3D MVC options (Intel NUC, Zidoo X8/X9S). Plus, the dealbreaker for me and others, no HD audio (especially no ATMOS and X).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
  • 157(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10