• 177(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
Thanks. Plays beautifully with "same as movie" option, which is doing over under on my 4k OLED. I did try different Intel graphics driver btw, still no hardware based option.

(2017-04-08, 16:49)3DBuff Wrote:
(2017-04-08, 04:43)rexian Wrote: Yes, it seems to be missing on mine too. Not sure if I had it before - I thought I always set "Stereoscopic 3D preferred mode" to "Same as Movie" and no "Hardware Based".

Full list of 3D modes is unique to this version of Windows Kodi MVC. Selecting hardware ensures that you will be in Frame Packing when playing video. The list is probably coming from Intel drivers. Raspberry Pi list is very minimum and "Same as Movie" option is the only one that would play Frame Packing.
So checked CPU usage, its in the low 40s so no worries there. I'm running 4GB ram. Tried upping the GPU share to 512 from 256, no change.

Rebooted my network, no change.

Gonna try a clean install on my system (I've been having some odd issues where it wakes from sleep and then the kodi interface locks up for a minute, even though the machine isn't frozen BC you can still hear the interface beeping as you arrow around).

Going to setup the machine with just the custom kodi build, no aero tweaker or launcher4kodi, and a fresh driver install and see what happens.

My NAS is a custom linux server with more than enough processing power, but I'll give it a reboot to just in case.

Thanks for your help. If I figure out what's causing this I'll be sure to post for others.

Just to be clear, nobody else is having regular issues with 3D mkvs studdering and losing sync on the February build? Want to make sure I'm not troubleshooting a known issue.
(2017-04-08, 16:49)3DBuff Wrote:
(2017-04-08, 04:43)rexian Wrote: Yes, it seems to be missing on mine too. Not sure if I had it before - I thought I always set "Stereoscopic 3D preferred mode" to "Same as Movie" and no "Hardware Based".

Full list of 3D modes is unique to this version of Windows Kodi MVC. Selecting hardware ensures that you will be in Frame Packing when playing video. The list is probably coming from Intel drivers. Raspberry Pi list is very minimum and "Same as Movie" option is the only one that would play Frame Packing.

Wonder if the HW is checked at the time of installation. After a clean installation, "Hardware Based" showed up. I still kept the preferred mode as "same as movie" and it automatically switched to 3D mode Big Grin

Just to check it out I switched the preferred mode to "Hardware Based" and all I got was blank screen for 3D movies Confused Even after stopping the movie the screen remains blank. Killed Kodi and got the screen back. Switched back to "Same as Movie" but the screen goes blank for 3D ISOs (audio continues so I know it's playing). I guess I have to install Kodi again Rolleyes
Studdering issue persists with the clean install (although it seems like the audio might be staying in sync now? Very odd). Any other ideas on how to solve this? Could it be that I don't have enough ram (4GB), or that I need to be running dual channel?
(2017-04-08, 19:54)filmgeek47 Wrote: So checked CPU usage, its in the low 40s so no worries there. I'm running 4GB ram. Tried upping the GPU share to 512 from 256, no change.

Is your CPU low 40s with Windows empty desktop or with Kodi?

Close everything and make sure that CPU in Windows it 0 to 5% only (kill any process if you have to to bring it down) and then restart Kodi. Just to make sure you are not sharing resources with some virus scanner or Windows update background process.
(2017-04-08, 20:38)rexian Wrote: ................
Just to check it out I switched the preferred mode to "Hardware Based" and all I got was blank screen for 3D movies Confused Even after stopping the movie the screen remains blank. Killed Kodi and got the screen back. Switched back to "Same as Movie" but the screen goes blank for 3D ISOs (audio continues so I know it's playing). I guess I have to install Kodi again Rolleyes

Just before you reinstall Kodi / Windows etc. Wink

Above Preferred mode you have "Stereoscopic 3D mode / Current". This will put Kodi desktop (menus, poster etc.) in 3D mode. You can quickly test all 3D options there quality and signal to TV without playing 3D video files.
(2017-04-08, 21:45)3DBuff Wrote:
(2017-04-08, 20:38)rexian Wrote: ................

Just before you reinstall Kodi / Windows etc. Wink

Above Preferred mode you have "Stereoscopic 3D mode / Current". This will put Kodi desktop (menus, poster etc.) in 3D mode. You can quickly test all 3D options there quality and signal to TV without playing 3D video files.

Thanks for the tip. When I select "Hardware based" in the current mode, it says Stereoscopic 3d Mode Hardware Based but the TV doesn't detect it. This is after the reinstall. Now preferred mode shows Hardware Based option but it doesn't do anything. The picture is always 2D.

Planning to get a GTX 1050 soon - wonder if it'll help in anyway for 3D. The AVR I have supports HDMI 2.0 (but not HDCP 2.2, which shouldn't matter for Kodi playing 4K MKVs) and with 1050 it'll be HDMI 2.0 all the way.
HDMI 2.0 is not working for 3D Hardware option on Intel platform. Nvidia works in software decoding from what I know. Check the first page of this thread for tested NUC's and other hardware combinations.
(2017-04-08, 21:26)3DBuff Wrote:
(2017-04-08, 19:54)filmgeek47 Wrote: So checked CPU usage, its in the low 40s so no worries there. I'm running 4GB ram. Tried upping the GPU share to 512 from 256, no change.

Is your CPU low 40s with Windows empty desktop or with Kodi?

Close everything and make sure that CPU in Windows it 0 to 5% only (kill any process if you have to to bring it down) and then restart Kodi. Just to make sure you are not sharing resources with some virus scanner or Windows update background process.

Appreciate your help. It's low 40's with kodi actively playing a 3d MKV. What's odd is that it seems to change slightly each time I go to reproduce it. Sometimes I'll play the first minute or two of a 3D movie without any studdering. Other times, I'll see pretty significant studdering in the opening production company logos.

Also, I was thinking back, and I have noticed very slight studdering on some 2D movies. It's usually just a single moment in an entire film where I'll notice it, but it's definitely been there, so something's up.

I did try restarting my server as well, no effect though.

EDIT: Might have had some luck here. Rolled back to the old VGA driver on the asrock website (which I'm not sure if I ever used). Seems to be working well so far. Issue's intermittent though, so we'll see...

EDIT 2: Nope. The studdering is still persisting. The sync issue is gone, but still sometimes seeing severe studdering every few seconds. Just hooked up my old raspberry pi, that still works fine, so it's not a network issue (at least, not with the network itself, maybe it could be something with my build's networking hardware/software).

Any other ideas? This is a clean install so I can't be the only one with this issue, I know a few other people are using this same board.
Try old build of Kodi MVC. This link is to Dec. 2016 version from @fmedrano1977
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2559688
(2017-04-09, 03:19)3DBuff Wrote: Try old build of Kodi MVC. This link is to Dec. 2016 version from @fmedrano1977
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2559688

Thank you so much for the link! I was just combing through the thread looking for a version in this date range. I noticed around p120 of the thread people were discussing a very similar issue to this which was solved in one of those builds.

Will test and report back.
Okay. Tested the old build. it's an intermittent problem, but usually it'll show up on the second or third try at the latest, and then happen every 10-20 seconds. I couldn't reproduce it at all using 6 different files with the old build. Now, on one of the files, I had a very slight loss of audio sync (and I didn't sit through the whole movie to see if it degraded or not), but this older build seems to be working much better for me on the J4205 board.

Can anybody with one of the celeron processors who was previously having sync/studdering issues comment on whether they experience them again in the new build?

To be clear, the issue has cropped up in the February build, the most recent March 21st build, but NOT in the December build referenced above. Was there another build between December and February? I'd be curious to see if the audio sync problem was resolved somewhere in there without bringing back the studdering.

Also, I assume this is just a known issue, but on my board, none of these builds have allowed for functional skipping in a 3D MKV file. Issues vary from temporarily locking up picture, to loss of sound, to severe loss of sync, but they're always persistent, and seem to only affect 3D (I can skip around in a 2D file no problem).
@ afedchin, is there any info I can provide to help resolve whatever has cropped up in these recent builds to cause studdering/loss of audio sync on some hardware? As previously referenced, the issue wasn't present in the December build, But is definitely happening in the February build (the one listed as last recommended on page one) and the most recent March 21 build.

Thanks again for all of the work you do! Your work has been the key component that's allowed me to perfect my home theater setup.
@fimgeek47 frame skipping issue every 20s is often caused by TV or other display not being able to sync on 23.98 fps. If the TV is working at 24 fps only it will do the frame skip every 20s. This could be unrelated to your issue but worth to check.
Under System Display make sure you have "Use full screen windows' OFF. Then check if you have 23.98 in the "Refresh Rate". Select it to see if everything is working OK. Make sure you have in the Player section "Adjust display refresh rate" set to "Always" and "Sync Playback to display" OFF.

Kodi MVC is not working for me on my PC. I need to get the correct hardware just for that. I'm still waiting for Intel to figure it out or do a major recall Wink
Appreciate the suggestion, but I'm already using those settings, and I don't have the issue on the older build with the same settings enabled.
  • 177(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10