• 189(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
Anyone have tried different settings to the recommended settings intel guide on this forum.

I have Intel nuc and the graphics driver supports all the options in the guide but on my gigabyte brix with Intel
Graphics also does not have all the same options skin tone and colour correction not present.

Using both with Good quality hdmi cables only difference being nuc uses a mini hdmi to hdmi cable.

What I am noticing when comparing the 2 is the brix close ups of people's faces look more detailed and cleaner.

Nuc can look more grainy and not as clear.

Also brix more brighter. Overall quality looks better on brix have tried pausing same scene and comparing as both running through receiver.

I am thinking it's either mini hdmi to hdmi or an Intel setting.

But happy enough with new nuc
NUC5I5RYH
yamaha RX-V777
BenQ w1070
samsung ue55nu7100

(2017-07-13, 03:19)Kilonga Wrote: Hi,

I have the Beebox-S 7200U and using KODI 21-March-2017 build with MVC. Latest drivers installed using Intel' Driver Update Utility. I followed all the instructions but in KODI I cannot select "hardware based" 3D as the preferred mode.
I see other people have had the same problem but cannot find the solution. I also see other members with the exact same setup I have but no complaints!

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Are you using the HDMI 1.4 port?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2017-07-13, 14:32)movie78 Wrote:

I have the Beebox-S 7200U and using KODI 21-March-2017 build with MVC. Latest drivers installed using Intel' Driver Update Utility. I followed all the instructions but in KODI I cannot select "hardware based" 3D as the preferred mode.
I see other people have had the same problem but cannot find the solution. I also see other members with the exact same setup I have but no complaints!

Thanks!

Yes I am using HDMI 1.4 (the port on top of the displayport). Could it be that it's not "detecting" the TV as being 3D capable? I don't understand why I don't get the hardware based 3D option to choose from.
I returned my Beebox. I couldn't get 3D & PowerDVD 17 to work with 3D at all. It'll be interesting to see if MVC works. I'm skeptical. I think there's a problem with the chipset low level drivers.
Yesterday I very much enjoyed 3d mvc playback on my Apollo Lake. Incredible PQ!

Hdmi 1.4 setup though. Seems that hdmi2.0 also gives lots of headaches. Wouldn't be surprised if it was copy protection...

Sent from my HTC One_M8
(2017-07-15, 09:54)dexter98 Wrote: Yesterday I very much enjoyed 3d mvc playback on my Apollo Lake. Incredible PQ!

Hdmi 1.4 setup though. Seems that hdmi2.0 also gives lots of headaches. Wouldn't be surprised if it was copy protection...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 (typie typie)

Main issue is that Apollo Lake doesn't have native HDMI 2.0 support. The CPU/GPU Combo itself is HDMI 1.4 and DP1.2.

Apollo Lake motherboards with HDMI 2.0 outputs are using an on-board Displayport 1.2->HDMI 2.0 conversion chip, and AIUI different manufacturers are using different chips, and have differing qualities of firmware. Most will support the basic 2D video + PCM stereo audio, but as you move to HD Audio, 3D Frame Packing etc. things get a bit more complex. (As may 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 colour space at 2160/50p and 59.94/60p)
(2017-07-13, 14:32)movie78 Wrote:

Thanks!

Same problem until I made sure windows was set to 60htz and 1920 x 1080 and 3D Enabled (Within windows display properties). Also, you have to make sure to get the MVC version. Trust me, it WORKS! love it
Alright, I'm at my wit's end dealing with this stuttering problem (previously referenced a page or so back).

I'd been using a J4205 board. The other night I tried updating the bios hoping it would fix the issue. Instead, it bricked the whole board. To replace it, I bought a Gigabyte Brix J1900. Damn thing has the same problem I've been experiencing with the previous system! Basically, if I use any build newer than the December 2016 one, I get stuttering when playing back in 3D WITH 7.1 pass through of HD audio. If I either use a 3D file or switch to PCM the problem goes away. On the December build, I get occasional audio drift where I lose sync. Doesn't seem to happen consistently, but it's there occasionally.

I know some say that PCM is exactly the same quality as bitstreamed, but I know it does strip out some volume related flags (and atmos info) and I've got a high end receiver that does some great trickery with volume compression, so I have noticed a difference running bitstream over PCM.

I'm considering returning the Brix, but can anyone recommend a system that doesn't cost $300? The brix and J4205 are in the 100 ish range, but it's starting to sound like all the celeron based processors have this problem, and no disrespect to @afedchin, but it doesn't look like a fix is on the horizon.

Are people really able to play back MVC 3D bitstreamed at 7.1 without issue with the new build, and if so on what hardware?

Just trying to get proper 3D bitstream audio playback for my movie room.

Any suggestions on other systems would be greatly appreciated.
I wish I could help you filmgeek but I do have the same issue with my NUC (see my signature).
I was using the latest build and while watching Fantastic Creatures in 3D with Atmos, I was having a lot of micro stutters. I did watch the whole movie but it was very distracting.
The next day I installed an older build (I think it's from December too, but I'm not sure. Would have to check). I started watching the movie again and no stutters... I was like, fine I can deal with an older build, no problem.

Couple of nights ago I watched Ghost in the Shell 3D with Atmos and lo and behold, stutterings. Not as bad as the first time with Fantastic Creatures but still, very annoying.

So I'm really not sure what to think now... I might still have some of the older builds so I might try an earlier version just to give it a try.

Btw, when you talk about 7.1 channels, you are talking about Dolby only right? Because I don't have stutterings with DTSHD.
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2017-08-03, 08:23)filmgeek47 Wrote: Are people really able to play back MVC 3D bitstreamed at 7.1 without issue with the new build, and if so on what hardware?

I finished to build mine new HTPC with j3455; MVC 3D with this build work very fine(23,976,3D, HD Audio 7.1 ) ,but video quality is very bad compared with android box like x9s,himedia or egreat.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2017-08-03, 08:23)filmgeek47 Wrote: Any suggestions on other systems would be greatly appreciated.

One alternative would depend if you didn't mind setting aside streaming boxes and use a regular PC or HTPC.

Windows 10 (and W8 I understand) + Official Kodi builds + MPC + madVR + LAV filters (added seamlessly to Kodi and it's freeware) = MVC Frame Packed 3D

A supported NVidia GPU (newer or older) would expand audio and video state of the art decoding and rendering such as UHD (4k), Atmos, and HDR with a single press of 'Play'.

A single HDMI 2.0 port retains upscaled 1080p 3D (appears 2160p) negating the HDMI 1.4 requirement most of you 4k hardware folks are familiar with that want 4k and 3D simultaneously without relying on numerous streaming boxes and setups to achieve the same thing.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
@ArieS Thanks for the reply. I haven't actually thought to check to see if it's only Dolby specific or not. I've been using the Star Trek Reboot movies that have 3D releases, to test with, but I believe they are Dolby, so you may be onto something there.

@brazen1 Appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think it's the solution I'm looking for. I did experiment with that early on in the process of setting things up, but I ran into a few issues. One of the bigger ones was noise levels with the PC + GPU. That and enabling 3D resolution made everything a bit blurry on screen, and had to be switched each time I played something. I also had some issues getting MPC to quit out and return to kodi when I hit stop, so it wasn't a particularly seamless experience.

I will say I think when I was messing around with all of that it was on Windows 7, so I'm sure it's improved, but if nothing else, I'd rather not have to buy another GPU, motherboard and processor, as that'll almost certainly add up to much more than the 150 ish range I'm shopping in.

Anybody else? It's starting to sound like this is just a flaw with the new builds, and that no sub $300 boxes are actually playing 3D + 7.1 Dolby correctly.

Anybody with an inexpensive box that DOES have that working without stutter or loss of sync?

If not, @afedchin, is there any way this could go on the list of bugs to address for the future? Is there somewhere on the github page I should be posting info on this? Really appreciate all the hard work you've put into the build, but unfortunately this particular bug renders the fork somewhat useless for me at the moment.
(2017-08-04, 07:16)filmgeek47 Wrote: Anybody else? It's starting to sound like this is just a flaw with the new builds, and that no sub $300 boxes are actually playing 3D + 7.1 Dolby correctly.

What about the Raspberry Pi? That plays 3D MVC .mkvs and .isos correctly and plays back Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio losslessly decode to PCM 7.1 (And it's a LOT less than US$300 - or were you specifically talking about Windows?)

(No Atmos or DTS:x - but lossless decoding to PCM in the Pi rather than bitstreaming should deliver pretty much identical results unless you need metadata-driven post-processing in your AVR)
(2017-08-04, 13:21)noggin Wrote:
(2017-08-04, 07:16)filmgeek47 Wrote: Anybody else? It's starting to sound like this is just a flaw with the new builds, and that no sub $300 boxes are actually playing 3D + 7.1 Dolby correctly.

What about the Raspberry Pi? That plays 3D MVC .mkvs and .isos correctly and plays back Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio losslessly decode to PCM 7.1 (And it's a LOT less than US$300 - or were you specifically talking about Windows?)

(No Atmos or DTS:x - but lossless decoding to PCM in the Pi rather than bitstreaming should deliver pretty much identical results unless you need metadata-driven post-processing in your AVR)

Yeah I meant windows specifically. Am I alone here in looking for a NUC in that price range or are most people using the higher end hardware for kodi?

The Pi is probably the closest thing to what I'm looking for, but unfortunately I do need bitstreaming for all the reasons you mentioned. Planning on putting in ceiling speakers for atmos in the near future, and I'm pretty sure that the audessey and volume compression on my AVR benefits from metadata info.
I can understand noise could be frustrating if you haven't set up speedfan and a couple power option values in windows. Todays GPU's are silent, at least those with more than one fan. Maybe they load up under gaming and spin hard? Movie playback I've never even seen them spin. My CPU is set at 1100 rpm. I can't hear it. It's a pretty old system too, about 10 years. I imagine newer stuff would be even less straining but not sure what you would have to work with?

I don't know what you mean about everything being blurry in 3D and had to be switched every time you played something? Either 3D is on for 3D titles or it's off. Quitting MPC to return to Kodi when finished shouldn't be an issue? There's a setting 'Close player when finished' that closes the player when finished, returning to Kodi in focus enabling a very pleasant seamless integration.

True, the difference between W7 and W10 compatibly is night and day. Clearly, most newer formats won't even work on W7 or any other platform unless it's W10 or W8 at the very least.

There's no reason to buy "another" motherboards, CPU's, and GPU's blowing your $150 budget (how much are you invested so far in multiple streaming boxes?) Use those existing ones. As I said you can 'update' your GPU if you desire to reach full potential. I think a brand new Nvidia 1030, you could pop in your old PC, will set you back under $100.

Anyway, you asked about fully functioning alternatives but it seems you lean toward streaming boxes and frown on PC HTPC's based on W7 era bad experiences you didn't fine tune remedy. Good luck in your quest.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
  • 189(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10