• 227(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
(2019-07-11, 16:43)brazen1 Wrote: Not sure if you know but, many of us have been using a Windows PC with nVidia or AMD.  One HDMI 2.0 out to display renders UHD HDR (4k) and 3D MVC Frame Packed and SBS/TAB reencodes automated perfectly for years now.

Thanks, brazen1

I couldnt' find anything in your signature topic first post about AMD. I have not read through all 76 pages to find something about AMD, but i 
have a ryzen 2400G and can't make kodi work for 3D (crash). I posted a new topic  about that problem but got no reply. So i figured i am the last person on this planet trying to use AMD for 3D *sob*.

I can also not use NVidia well for 3D because of another issue i posted on a separate topic, but alas also no reply. 

Maybe i should post both AMD and NVidia issues to your thread and hope someone replies there ?
(2019-07-11, 09:09)te36 Wrote: No luck getting HDMI 1.4a frame packed 3D out of my PC DP1.2 port with external DP->HDMI adapter.

This PC with i7260U CPU (HD640 graphic): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33007122...4c4dSCnT1I
Win10 Pro, latest updates as of today (Version 1903, OS build 18362.239), Latest Intel GPU driver (from Intel): 26.20.100.6912
Monitor is HDMI1.4a FullHD, Passive 3D (older Panasonic).
Kodi (up to 183, no special MVC builds) works fine with HDMI Frame Packed HDMI 1.4a output on the HDMI 1.4 output port of the PC.

Tried the following two DP->HDMI adapter both supposedly using Megachips 2900:
Club 3D CAC-1080: https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2442/d..._2.0b_hdr/
DeLock 63936: https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_63936/merkmale.html
The Club 3D was 10 Eur more expensive, the DeLock web page claims "Supports 3D displays (1080p @ 120 Hz)"

Both exposed the same behavior in windows 10:

Windows -> Settings -> Display: Display Resolution:
  shows 1920 x 1080 (Recommended, 3D) - this is what i also get for HDMI 1.4a port connected directly to HDMI 1.4a TV
  all other resolutions show XXX x YYY (3D) - this is highly unusual for me, this is not shown on HDMI 1.4a port/TV

Intel display control app does not provide additional info except that it allows to change display frame rate 24/50/60 for desktop

Kodi system settings do NOT allow to select "Hardware based" (aka: HDMI 1.4a frame based) in system settings.
When setting "ask me" and playing back a 3D file, kodi does as for "Preferred mode (Hardware based)", but its kinda fishy, because when choosing "Select alternate mode..." sub menu, that option is not there anymore. When selecting "Preferred mode", Kodi does not seem to do any transcoding, so a typical HSBS mkv file is shown as if no 3D decoding was done at all - seeing left/right side-by-side, and when playing a Half Top/Bottom mkv it shows top/bottom. In both cases, the TV 3D recognition triggers.

Of course, when playing Full HD 3D (MKV, block_lr, full-SBS or the like), kodi just scales down to 1080p first, aka: no Full HD 3D output, no triggering of HDMI 1.4a frame packed 3D. So, no Full HD 3D output.

No idea if there is anything else i could experiment with on these adapters. I guess i will keep the cheaper one in case i'll get around doing HDR testing later on given how the MCDP2900 claims to be HDR with DP 1.4.

I guess i can try to find external adapters using any of the other LSPCON chips discussed in prior posts.

I wonder if these adapters are actually rightfully claiming 3D, just not HDMI 1.4a 3D. E.g.: What if i had one of those "PC 3D" displays using higher frame rate output ? I have not seen discussion about this here in Kodi. Not sure if it supports it at all. Any idea ?
OK. So today I received a "new" Kaby Lake i3-7100T test item, a HP Prodesk 400 G3 TFF (Tiny Form Factor). This product only has a DP1.2(++) as a graphical output, so a converter is needed to connect this to a HDMI port. I have 2 different versions of such a converter, one version = 100% an active one, the other one is doubtful if active, but some buyers say that they get 2160p@60Hz. I used the doubtful one for this.

So my test system beholds a 1080p passive 3D monitor with HDMI 1.4 ports, this one I always use for setting up and testing a system. When I want to use a system myself I move the item to my 4k 3D TV and completing the job there.

I installed Kodi MVC, the latest build, and set things up (connected to my 1080p 3D monitor). I took some 3D test files (from my NAS) and fired Kodi up.
I can select Hardware Based 3D within the settings, set this up as default, and when selecting my test-media, my monitor switches to 3D and a nice MVC 3D picture is putout on the screen.

In this setup it doesn't matter if the adapter = active or not, the output is max HDMI 1.4.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2019-07-11, 19:35)p750mmx Wrote: OK. So today I received a "new" Kaby Lake i3-7100T test item, a HP Prodesk 400 G3 TFF (Tiny Form Factor). This product only has a DP1.2(++) as a graphical output, so a converter is needed to connect this to a HDMI port. I have 2 different versions of such a converter, one version = 100% an active one, the other one is doubtful if active, but some buyers say that they get 2160p@60Hz. I used the doubtful one for this.

So my test system beholds a 1080p passive 3D monitor with HDMI 1.4 ports, this one I always use for setting up and testing a system. When I want to use a system myself I move the item to my 4k 3D TV and completing the job there.

I installed Kodi MVC, the latest build, and set things up (connected to my 1080p 3D monitor). I took some 3D test files (from my NAS) and fired Kodi up.
I can select Hardware Based 3D within the settings, set this up as default, and when selecting my test-media, my monitor switches to 3D and a nice MVC 3D picture is putout on the screen.

In this setup it doesn't matter if the adapter = active or not, the output is max HDMI 1.4. 
Hah. Earlier today i ordered THIS PS176 chip based adapter (same chip as your first adapter) and THIS PS171 chip based adapter (same adapter as your second one). Should arrive saturday. Let's see.

According to THIS parade page, both PS176 and PS171 are active DP/HDMI converter, the PS171 maxes out at DP1.2/HDMI 1.4, the PS176 at DP1.4/HDMI 2.0. 

To be on the safe side, i also ordered THIS PS8121E chip adapter, which seems to be completely passive, but would require the DP1.2 port to actually be ++DP1.2, aka: able to output actual HDMI data stream, just at DP electrical level. 

Lets see if i will be as lucky as you are. Seemingly both PS171 and PS176 work for you.

Maybe try to get a PS178 based adapter then - that should also do HDR, althought it might require DP1.4a port.
(2019-07-11, 19:35)p750mmx Wrote: OK. So today I received a "new" Kaby Lake i3-7100T test item, a HP Prodesk 400 G3 TFF (Tiny Form Factor). This product only has a DP1.2(++) as a graphical output, so a converter is needed to connect this to a HDMI port. I have 2 different versions of such a converter, one version = 100% an active one, the other one is doubtful if active, but some buyers say that they get 2160p@60Hz. I used the doubtful one for this.

Alas i think my problem is in some place i can't figure out yet.

I received the first of my adapters on order, the one with PS171, and the effect is the same as with the megachips adapters i tried first and reported on. I then also tested against a non-3D monitor, and the only difference i saw was in Windows setting application: System->Display, where the "Display resolution" was showing all resultions as "XXX x YYY (3D)", whereas for an actual HDMI 1.4 output port connected to the 3D capable monitor, only the 1920x1080 resolution was showing 3D. And with the non-3D monitor, there was no 3D shown.

So, my theory is that windows must be fabricating itself some unclear 3D mode that i don't understand, but kodi is not recognizing Frame Packed 3D. Its really annoying to have no additional diagnostic methods to figure out what's going on.

p750mmx: In your DP->HDMI adapter setup, waht do you see in windows "Display resolutions" ? Do you see "3D" only for the 1920x1080 resolution (maybe also 720 resolution), or also for all resolutions ?

Also, please excuse the question: Are you sure you where looking at FullDH 3D / frame-packed mode ? Maybe it was just half-sbs displayed by kodi and your TV automatically switched to 3D display ? (sorry for asking, i am desperate ;-)
(2019-07-12, 15:36)te36 Wrote: p750mmx: In your DP->HDMI adapter setup, waht do you see in windows "Display resolutions" ? Do you see "3D" only for the 1920x1080 resolution (maybe also 720 resolution), or also for all resolutions ?

Also, please excuse the question: Are you sure you where looking at FullDH 3D / frame-packed mode ? Maybe it was just half-sbs displayed by kodi and your TV automatically switched to 3D display ? (sorry for asking, i am desperate ;-) 
I see the 3D remark only for the 1080p/720p resolutions.

Kodi says "Hardware based" when playing a MVC video? When starting a video and when going to 3D info during playing.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2019-07-12, 17:08)p750mmx Wrote: I see the 3D remark only for the 1080p/720p resolutions.

Kodi says "Hardware based" when playing a MVC video? When starting a video and when going to 3D info during playing.

I also got the CSL adapter that works for you, but it gives me only black picture (does not work). Likewise this second PS8121E adapter.

So, my theory is that the CSL adapter is actually passive and therefore only working with a DP++ (dual-mode) port, in which case that port effectively is HDMI and the adaptre just maps the voltage levels. And on my PC the port does not support DP++ hence the black picture.  Your PC manual shows DP++ port symbols on the rear panel picture, so i guess it does support DP++.

It would be interesting to know if your active adapter also works for 3D. It could either not work as in my case, or it could work, but effectively the adapter also switches to passive, or it could work and actually do actively convert DP to HDMI with 3D, but then i am at a loss what else could be different on my PC why its not working.

Did you try the active adapter and if so to which result ? Your mail wasn't fully conclusive on that.

Oh well, i'll have to try on different PCs to see what difference it could make. This PC itself was bought for the HDMI 1.4a 3D TV, so i don't worry too much about it, but i wouldn't want to buy another one without figuring this out first. Next kodi box should really do 3D and 4k/HDR from the hardware - ideally via a single HDMI port. Maybe i should try one of them ugly Intel NUC with fixed up LSPCON firmware... *sigh*.
(2019-07-12, 17:08)p750mmx Wrote:
(2019-07-12, 15:36)te36 Wrote: p750mmx: In your DP->HDMI adapter setup, waht do you see in windows "Display resolutions" ? Do you see "3D" only for the 1920x1080 resolution (maybe also 720 resolution), or also for all resolutions ?

I have the exact same CPU with the DH270 and got „Hardware based“ 3D to work.
But in PowerDVD 17,18 and 19 it‘s kind of a weird 3D effect.
Can you maybe test that with your 1080p 3D TV?
Within kodi it‘s fine, but i would sometimes like to watch the extras.
TV: LG OLED 910V [1080p/passive 3D] [HDMI 1.4]
HTPC: Shuttle DH270 w Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 & Windows 10 x64 Education 1703 [1920x1080/60Hz]
AV: Yamaha RX-477 w 5.1 Canton setup [HD-audio passthrough] [HDMI 1.4]
Kodi: 20171208-6c414ad-msdk_mvc_wip-x86 [1920x1080/60Hz] MVC3D
(2019-07-13, 16:57)te36 Wrote:
(2019-07-12, 17:08)p750mmx Wrote: I see the 3D remark only for the 1080p/720p resolutions.

I also got the CSL adapter that works for you, but it gives me only black picture (does not work). Likewise this second PS8121E adapter.

So, my theory is that the CSL adapter is actually passive and therefore only working with a DP++ (dual-mode) port, in which case that port effectively is HDMI and the adaptre just maps the voltage levels. And on my PC the port does not support DP++ hence the black picture.  Your PC manual shows DP++ port symbols on the rear panel picture, so i guess it does support DP++.

It would be interesting to know if your active adapter also works for 3D. It could either not work as in my case, or it could work, but effectively the adapter also switches to passive, or it could work and actually do actively convert DP to HDMI with 3D, but then i am at a loss what else could be different on my PC why its not working.

Did you try the active adapter and if so to which result ? Your mail wasn't fully conclusive on that.

Oh well, i'll have to try on different PCs to see what difference it could make. This PC itself was bought for the HDMI 1.4a 3D TV, so i don't worry too much about it, but i wouldn't want to buy another one without figuring this out first. Next kodi box should really do 3D and 4k/HDR from the hardware - ideally via a single HDMI port. Maybe i should try one of them ugly Intel NUC with fixed up LSPCON firmware... *sigh*. 
Excuse for the delay Wink

The DP = type++, as I wrote in my reaction regarding the HP TFF PC. I used "the other one" adapter, the one that's not clear on being active or not. But as I wrote before, that doesn't matter if the connection is to an HDMI 1.4 port, it only matters when connected to an HDMI2.x port and one wants to get 2160p/60Hz resolution as an output.

To test if the DP++ port does anything on the Hardware Based 3D option in Kodi, I connected another Kaby Lake system (with Pentium G4560), to my 3D test monitor that has a "normal" DP1.2 port. I used the same doubtful active adapter with this and Hardware Based is still an option and MVC media is still playing fine (and shows Hardware Based under info when playing).
So no difference between DP1.2 and DP1.2++ when connected to a HDMI 1.4 port.
(2019-07-15, 18:36)Easy4Breezy Wrote:
(2019-07-12, 17:08)p750mmx Wrote:

I have the exact same CPU with the DH270 and got „Hardware based“ 3D to work.
I tested this with the system that you can see in my previous reaction and on a 1080p 3D passive monitor, not TV, although that should not make a great difference.
I used the "latest" V19 for that, and the 3D test-files I use seems to be playing just fine? I set, just to be sure, 3D settings to manual (HDMI 1.4 1080p/24Hz), but on auto I see no difference in output. Monitor switches to 3D and all goes well it seems.

I didn't test it with the DH270 because that is connected to my TV and that one isn't 1080p but 4k. I use the Interlaced 3D setting on that, and for me, that is just great in 3D.
I will test with PowerDVD on that system on another moment, can't say when this will be, but as I understand you use a 1080p 3D TV, correct? So maybe that test doesn't matter at all?
(2019-07-16, 15:31)p750mmx Wrote: Excuse for the delay Wink

The DP = type++, as I wrote in my reaction regarding the HP TFF PC. I used "the other one" adapter, the one that's not clear on being active or not. But as I wrote before, that doesn't matter if the connection is to an HDMI 1.4 port, it only matters when connected to an HDMI2.x port and one wants to get 2160p/60Hz resolution as an output.

Yes, you said that in before, but i am still not sure i understand what you mean. Is it this::

If an adapter is passive, then it triggers the DP++ port to operate in HDMI mode. I assume the HDMI Mode of a DP1.2++ (dualmode) port on a PC is HDMI1.4a, so with a passive adapter you could not drive any HDMI2.0 mode even if connected to a HDMI2.0 display. Specifically 4k@50, 4k@60.

That one i agree on, but to me this does not mean "active vs. passive does not make a difference when connecting to a HDMI1.4a 3D display", because if i can not get 3D through an active but only via a passive adapter, then thats a difference to me.

(2019-07-16, 15:31)p750mmx Wrote: To test if the DP++ port does anything on the Hardware Based 3D option in Kodi, I connected another Kaby Lake system (with Pentium G4560), to my 3D test monitor that has a "normal" DP1.2 port. I used the same doubtful active adapter with this and Hardware Based is still an option and MVC media is still playing fine (and shows Hardware Based under info when playing).
So no difference between DP1.2 and DP1.2++ when connected to a HDMI 1.4 port. 

How do you know that Kaby Lake system has only a DP 1.2 port and not a DP 1.2++ port ? Just by the icon printed on the port not shoping ++ ? Alas, i don't know any software side tool to tell me.

What results do you get when using the "known active" adapter on any of your PCS DP ports ?

This doubtfull active adapter from CSL is highly silly. The amazon page says it could either have a PS8402A chip, which is a dual-port only chip (level shifter), or a PS171HDM, which looks like an active, DP (single-mode) port capable chip. Given how i also had another guaranteed PS171 adapter and it producted picture (just not 3D), i can only deduce that the CSL adapter i bought from amazon last week uses the PS8402A because it does not give me any picture. But of course i have no idea what your CSL adapter uses.
(2019-07-15, 18:36)Easy4Breezy Wrote: I have the exact same CPU with the DH270 and got „Hardware based“ 3D to work.
What do you mean with "weird" ? Left and right eye swapped ? That looks weird.

Alas, i do not have a newer version of PowerDVD, so can not help test against it.
(2019-07-16, 16:01)p750mmx Wrote: I tested this with the system that you can see in my previous reaction and on a 1080p 3D passive monitor, not TV, although that should not make a great difference.
I used the "latest" V19 for that, and the 3D test-files I use seems to be playing just fine? I set, just to be sure, 3D settings to manual (HDMI 1.4 1080p/24Hz), but on auto I see no difference in output. Monitor switches to 3D and all goes well it seems.

I didn't test it with the DH270 because that is connected to my TV and that one isn't 1080p but 4k. I use the Interlaced 3D setting on that, and for me, that is just great in 3D.
I will test with PowerDVD on that system on another moment, can't say when this will be, but as I understand you use a 1080p 3D TV, correct? So maybe that test doesn't matter at all? 

Yes, i have a 1080p 3D TV.
I tested several PCs, cables, Windows versions, PowerDVD updates, Intel drivers and so on.
The only PC it was working was with my Haswell Macbook via Bootcamp and HDMI 1.4.
Everything from Skylake up is not working with PowerDVD for me.

It looks like it skips frames, i don't know how to explain it, it just doesn't look like it does with the Kodi built in player.
And my Pi3 is also doing a great job, but that's also Kodi.

The only thing i didn't test was a new TV, but nowadays it's hard to find those 3D tvs....
I simply can't explain to myself why it's not working with PowerDVD, even their support gave up.
TV: LG OLED 910V [1080p/passive 3D] [HDMI 1.4]
HTPC: Shuttle DH270 w Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 & Windows 10 x64 Education 1703 [1920x1080/60Hz]
AV: Yamaha RX-477 w 5.1 Canton setup [HD-audio passthrough] [HDMI 1.4]
Kodi: 20171208-6c414ad-msdk_mvc_wip-x86 [1920x1080/60Hz] MVC3D
OK, bit more testing with those external DP->HDMI adapters.

On an MSI B450i with Ryzen 2400G CPU/APU, all three adapters create perfect "3D" indications in windows 10 Display Resolution setting, and Kodi also offers hardware based decoding and attempts to start it, then 3 seconds of weird display happens and then the AMD graphic driver crashes and windows converts to a default VGA driver. That problem is independent of HD, also happens on the HDMI port. Reading the AMD website forum it seems others have already complained about 3D not working on Ryzen, and AMD seemingly says that its not support. And obviously, making windows believe and then letting the driver crash when you try to use it is a perfect "not supported" notification (not, sigh).

But in any case, when running linux on that system, it also works with all three adapters, except that the kernel log reports strange crashes in the AMD driver when i use the CSL adapter that i believe to be passive. But afterworks, display runs fine. I just have never tried to figure out 3D with linux (too much hacking).

On a Supermicro X11SSV-Q with i5-7500, all three adapters work 2D, but only the CSL adapter creates correct 3D indication in windows and works for 3D. The two other (active) adapters (PS176 and MCDP2900) do create the "3D" for all resolutions output in windows and don't work for 3D.

None of the two motherboards describes by the way whether their DP ports are DP++, and except for the kernel crashes in linux i could not find any real indicator whether the DP port was operating in HDMI mode or not. So whether or not the CSL adapter is passive was all conjecture. Until i took it apart to figure out that it indeed has a PS8402A inside of it. Which explicitly claims to support 1080p 3D on its web-page by the way. Unlike the active adapters on paradechs web page (no mentioning of 1080p 3D).

Still very curious as to what results p750mmx would get with the other (active) adapter...
And a new data point about those adapters:

After getting native HDMI port on AMD Ryzen 2400G GPU on windows 10 to run with HDMI 1.4a FullHD 3D, i re-tried the DP->HDMI adapters on it:

- All three adapters showed correct "3D" only in the actual 3D resolutions, so the display of "3" on all resultions seems clearly an Intel GPU (driver?) issue, at least on those intel boards (<= Kaby Lake) that i tried. Results for 8th/9th gen Intel CPU/GPU driver seem to be better (from p750mmx, i have no such CPU/mobo).

- Alas, only the passive adapter worked, with the two other adapters, my projector could not produce picture/sound when selecting "hardware accelerated" in kodi (HDMI 1.4a FullHD 3D). "Can not sync to signal" from projector.
(2019-07-17, 18:30)te36 Wrote: OK, bit more testing with those external DP->HDMI adapters.

On an MSI B450i with Ryzen 2400G CPU/APU, all three adapters create perfect "3D" indications in windows 10 Display Resolution setting, and Kodi also offers hardware based decoding and attempts to start it, then 3 seconds of weird display happens and then the AMD graphic driver crashes and windows converts to a default VGA driver. That problem is independent of HD, also happens on the HDMI port. Reading the AMD website forum it seems others have already complained about 3D not working on Ryzen, and AMD seemingly says that its not support. And obviously, making windows believe and then letting the driver crash when you try to use it is a perfect "not supported" notification (not, sigh).

But in any case, when running linux on that system, it also works with all three adapters, except that the kernel log reports strange crashes in the AMD driver when i use the CSL adapter that i believe to be passive. But afterworks, display runs fine. I just have never tried to figure out 3D with linux (too much hacking).

On a Supermicro X11SSV-Q with i5-7500, all three adapters work 2D, but only the CSL adapter creates correct 3D indication in windows and works for 3D. The two other (active) adapters (PS176 and MCDP2900) do create the "3D" for all resolutions output in windows and don't work for 3D.

None of the two motherboards describes by the way whether their DP ports are DP++, and except for the kernel crashes in linux i could not find any real indicator whether the DP port was operating in HDMI mode or not. So whether or not the CSL adapter is passive was all conjecture. Until i took it apart to figure out that it indeed has a PS8402A inside of it. Which explicitly claims to support 1080p 3D on its web-page by the way. Unlike the active adapters on paradechs web page (no mentioning of 1080p 3D).

Still very curious as to what results p750mmx would get with the other (active) adapter...
If I can get the active adapter "above water", I will test that for you.

For the DP or DP++ presence on a motherboard, I can only go on what is says in the specifications. In my experience, it is almost always a DP1.2 non ++ adapter, the HP is the first device I've got that beholds one.

Edit: Kaby Lake = 7th generation
  • 227(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10