• 4(current)
4K / HDR content
Hi Folks, hoping someone may be able to offer some help advice or assistance. i've been using Kodi for years and recently bought an LG oled TV and want to make sure i'm getting the most out of it and the content i'm watching. I'm running a amd RX550 straight to the TV, OS is windows 10. How can i make sure HDR etc is all working accordingly and get the best out of it?
@Gereral1
'Play Using' XDR Dynamic Range Enabled nothing happens for me except "External Player Active. Click OK when playback has ended".
Manually switching HDR on in Windows and 'Play Using' Launch MPC-HC 64 Bit all is well.
I assume this is supposed to auto switch Windows HDR on and off and subsequently launch the player, correct?
Manually selecting the hdr on.exe or the hdr off.exe does nothing either.
Also, is there a shortcut to the Windows HDR on/off switch you know of that could be written to a .bat? I could add it to my script so that it will engage only when needed based on file name rules.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-05-18, 20:51)brazen1 Wrote: @Gereral1
'Play Using' XDR Dynamic Range Enabled nothing happens for me except "External Player Active. Click OK when playback has ended".
Manually switching HDR on in Windows and 'Play Using' Launch MPC-HC 64 Bit all is well.
I assume this is supposed to auto switch Windows HDR on and off and subsequently launch the player, correct?
Manually selecting the hdr on.exe or the hdr off.exe does nothing either.
Also, is there a shortcut to the Windows HDR on/off switch you know of that could be written to a .bat? I could add it to my script so that it will engage only when needed based on file name rules.

Using madvr or custom presenter filter?
Make sure your mpc hc is off. Then load in kodi. Then right after load mpchc like in video. It should work. If you left mpc hc open then switched modes it will not work.
It doesn't matter if using custom presenter or madvr. Same outcome. Yes, the player is closed when attempting. Checked in task manager just in case too.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
To be clear, so there's no margin for error on my part, you wrote "My XDR app can work in any GUI interface outside kodi. You would simply click on HDR on.exe anywhere on your PC to activate."

Unless I'm mistaken, simply downloading your 2 .exe's and clicking on them anywhere should enable and disable HDR globally. Is this correct?
I have setup MPC-HC and MPC-BE, per your video and pasted the exe's within their default install folders also fwiw. Tried many, many things but the outcome is always "External Player Active. Click OK when playback has ended".

I believe it works for you, but not for me. You asked for testers and I'm giving feedback. You are using AMD GPU. I'm using Nvidia. You say it doesn't matter and I believe you. It's hanging at step one (enable Windows HDR). I presume that is the only thing HDR on.exe does but nothing is happening, not even a CMD flash.

I notice in your video you are using ffdshow but disabling it. I don't have ffdshow installed because I don't need it for anything else I use. Does that matter?

Other than what I've reported, I don't know what else to give feedback about unless you ask.

I need to add adminstrator manifest to give access to change the keys to show hdr. Overlook this as im testing in adminstrator mode......fix it on weekend. You can right click run as admin and it should work but what good is that...
Run as admin was one of the things I've already tried. Still no affect. I can't understand why the .exe works for you and not myself? Is your W10 CU x64 architecture or x86? I'm on x64 Ultimate, not Pro, Home or School. I've also tried running the .exe's in compatibility modes. Having no idea the contents of your .exe's, am I correct in assuming it is a switch for Windows HDR on and off only? And if so, since I can manually control HDR, this rules out that something in my O/S is canceling your executions? I mean I have a lot of things turned off in the O/S including services, firewalled, etc. But those things don't seem to prevent me from manually setting the switch so I assume they shouldn't interfere with the .exe executing it for me either. If those .exe's are not dependent on some sort of settings in the player (even though I believe the settings are correct) it shouldn't matter if the player is even installed, correct? Step one is just to turn HDR on. The next step is to call up the player with proper settings and away you go, correct? I can't imagine what is unique on my end and not yours assuming it's a complicated native switch. If it's attempting to access the switch via real time registry, it's going to fail over here. Maybe that's it? I assume the switch is not as easy as a command in a Windows folder. I have no idea how that switch works or what it interacts with other than GPU drivers to reveal it and you wrote it's Nvidia friendly. Over my head guessing. Anyway, hope it's a simple mistake on my end or simple code edit on your end. Really like to get this going. Maybe if enough other testers step in the common denominator will be revealed. So far, looks like Intel integrated GPU is working and AMD for you and whatever your alpha testers used. Was there an actual NVidia test bed as well? Thanks for the dedication.

Hkey local user was used to set keys based on any user who is logged in. This program does not touch hdr slider. Just provides the same settings that the tv reads from the hdr meta file. Got to figure out why /f switch is not sllow me to add hkey local user command on other machines. Could be the soundforge compiler uses reg4 program. Bat files will not load in kodi. The xml requires .exe to launch from the externals players menu. Ive had other users say it works great. If I cant get it to work on your system ill give you the keys to build exe. The results are amazing when xdr is turned on. Intel and amd have has sucess. Nvidia had issues. It theory if you used any card it would have no bearing. Even monitor or hdmi port should have no bearing. Its one of 2 things. Blocked access to win reg. Or mpc be and mpc hc on same machine. Ill test these friday. Another thing is madvr may be blocking contrast controls of mpc hc and blocking shaders. Switch your filter to custom presenter and enable directx. Shut down mpc hc. Click on hdr on. Nothing will popup. Then load mpchc goto file open hdr10 test file. Then shut off mpc hc. Run hdr off.exe load mpc hc and play same clip. If you see nothing the keys are not getting written to mpc hc hkey local user. Could be antivirus locking out hkey local key access to change mpc hc keys.
Under misc options in contrast color saturation panel what doed it SAY in your text( vmr-9, madvr, and evr)? If it says only vmr9 your version is older. You need to update to latest version.

Article about video driver blocking mpc https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3637...ntrast-etc
I would recommend to stay away from this software.
All the seemingly trivial bugs just for a program that supposedly turns hdr on/off, although it's vague at best what it actually does. The shady download link,and link to a shady forum, in the description of an even more shady youtube video. Calling it "XDR" to somehow trademark something non existant. Wake the f.. up people.

Furthermore, MadVR already supports HDR passthrough using the Win10 API. You can use MPC-HC with Madvr or the special Kodi DS release.. and it's just a matter of time before MPC-HC does HDR passthrough natively.
(2017-05-19, 07:37)Soli Wrote: I would recommend to stay away from this software.
All the seemingly trivial bugs just for a program that supposedly turns hdr on/off, although it's vague at best what it actually does. The shady download link,and link to a shady forum, in the description of an even more shady youtube video. Calling it "XDR" to somehow trademark something non existant. Wake the f.. up people.

Furthermore, MadVR already supports HDR passthrough using the Win10 API. You can use MPC-HC with Madvr or the special Kodi DS release.. and it's just a matter of time before MPC-HC does HDR passthrough natively.

The facts are that madVR with HDR passthrough doesn't support Non-HDR displays and madVR with HDR-SDR conversion gives lots of dropped frames and stutters, means unwatchable. With this program I can watch HDR movies smoothly with no dropped frames and enjoy HDR effects on my 1080p monitor/Projector even with a Intel i5 CPU and spare the cost of 120 $US vga card.

If you own a strong HTPC and expensive HDR TV, then maybe you don't need this program.
(2017-05-19, 10:59)nsnhd Wrote: With this program I can watch HDR movies smoothly with no dropped frames and enjoy HDR effects on my 1080p monitor/Projector even with a Intel i5 CPU and spare the cost of 120 $US vga card.

Dream on buddy.
(2017-05-19, 12:11)Soli Wrote:
(2017-05-19, 10:59)nsnhd Wrote: With this program I can watch HDR movies smoothly with no dropped frames and enjoy HDR effects on my 1080p monitor/Projector even with a Intel i5 CPU and spare the cost of 120 $US vga card.

Dream on buddy.

Just enjoyed Planet Earth II with HDR on my VA Monitor 1080p and it's amazing pictures.
I don't need you to believe it.
People don'tunderstand how break thru this xdr is! Wait it will be used by millions. It sets 10 point contrast after video gets processed. Matches hdr 10.....lol so simple many advanced coders wouls be saying why did I not think of that. Ill release the raw keys saturday so you guys can adjust levels and make your own .exe

Dont want to think the exe is bad. Its .bat with reg commands converted to exe to launch in kodi.

With hdr tv adds the contrast and locks you out. I add it and send out hdmi and the tv remains open. Im surprised no one thought of it. I use all hdr compliant hardware but know nit value on non hdr sets can be pushed to match hdr tvs. This opens hdr 10 format to everyone! Uhd matches exactly the hardware players. I have had the benifit to test hdr vs sdi with hdr 10 point contrast added. They are both match. Maybe thats why they called it hdr10. Hmmmm

They are going to offer 1080p hdr tvs soon. Even the tv manifactures admit older panels only use a limited range but can display way more dynamic range but were limited with bt709 spectrum. This unlocks those panels and breaks out of hdmi 2.0 and cpu and gpu. If yoy can run 4k video on a video card you can watch hdr ow on non hdr panels. Hdr material is dull looking and stripped of contrast and color saturation. They are added in tv. Thats why when you turn hdr tab on in win10 everything looks flat grey. Windows is disabling saturation and contrast to let tv add it. No mystery.....keep windows and tv set normally and inject into video and leave tv unlocked. Hope im making this clear....
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K / HDR content1