• 3(current)
4K / HDR content
This is some good news. Good progress on the HDR front.
I have a UHD player and a 4K HDR projector and HDR playback is the greater benefit than the 4K resolution.

My UHD player has DNLA playback access and I can play back HDR demo samples from my home server which I've downloaded from the web. Some files do actually trigger automatic setup changes to play back the HDR files.

The problem is some files are 24,25,30,50 or 60hz refresh and also different compression types. It is a hit or miss as to if the file will play back or not...

Some of the demo files have bitrates above 100mbps for video. I think once it hits 120+ the player will start to studder and miss frames.

Dreaming of the day when a simple PC with integrated graphics can play back all of the files. Kabby lake is close but still has some problems to iron out.
All hdr media plays fine. Will release this for download next week so you guys can beta test. Not sure how this will react on projector or non hdr tv. Will find out soon enough. What you get is usb hdr exactly what youll see on pc. I left forced hdr off for 4k and projector tvs. You will retain all your tv controls ontop of hdr signal. This is what is exciting about this...
(2017-05-10, 16:46)brazen1 Wrote: Is this software (CPU) or hardware (GPU) capable (NVidia in particular)? Also is it aimed at 1080p displays and/or 2160p displays?

Testing on gpu amd rx. If you can play 4k then yes but h264 is different than hevc h265 at 4k . So you guys arw more than welcome to test on any display cpu or gpu. Once I upload the app. Confirmed rx470 with hdr on 2 sony tvs and with onboard graphic kaby lake intel without sgx. No point in answering questions outside testing platform. This is where you guys can test and post your results on different cpus and gpus. Nvidia should work as well as amd cards. This injects dynamic range after gpu or cpu encoding like hdfury does.
I can't quite figure out whether your code simply injects HDR10 metadata or it is calculating the EETF for tone mapping. If the latter, are you processing Y'Cb'Cr' or R'G'B'?
(2017-05-11, 05:25)wesk05 Wrote: I can't quite figure out whether your code simply injects HDR10 metadata or it is calculating the EETF for tone mapping. If the latter, are you processing Y'Cb'Cr' or R'G'B'?

Y'Cb'Cr , not rgb. All I know is it looks the same as a store bought UHD disk.. The TV showed HDR tag in Samsung player.PC did not but it's exact picture. HDR is a real simple process. All I'm doing is allowing mpc hc to send exact levels of black to white to HDMI port and the TV can show more stops of dynamic range. This is why I'm saying it will work on LCD TVs but you will be limited by the biggest nit value. If you own an HDR TV you will see duplicate. If not you may get 80% of the HDR image depending on the lcd.or projection. Inject HDR into Blu-ray it looks like a broken TV playing video. But if the material was recorded in log type dull image the HDR will bring the media alive. For those who have tried the HDR slider in win 10 creator update when your HDMI port is set to 422 or 420 the screen goes ghost pale grey. But the HDR looks perfect.

I know this sounds funny but all I am doing is taking reverse material and doing the opposite to get HDR to show. The trigger is set in meta data in different specs. All these triggers do is set min max range from white to black. HDR shows more steps of grey between these 2. Sdi shows less steps. In layman's terms HDR is a greater f stop exposure in video.

Try my HDR on.exe when released then you will see. Give me a week to work out the tiny bugs then I'll let you all use this. I might release it with non madvr support but might offer it later. No sure as I have not tested with this direct show filter. Custom presenter filter works with hardware GPU acceleration in directx full screen mode with yuv thru HDMI. Today is Thursday. I get home on weekends and do not have my computer with me...
Kodi HDR Project beta released today..... Visit site to download. In youtube video on main channel is the link to download the project.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMgD5qz...tzx1wUhKQQ

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcJOEPgArg
(2017-05-15, 05:22)Gereral1 Wrote: Kodi HDR Project beta released today..... Visit site to download. In youtube video on main channel is the link to download the project.

Video:

I got the errors by running HDR ON\OFF.exe:

"This program was made with an Unlicensed compiler.
Please buy the PRO version to distribute your EXE.

Press any key to continue ... "
(2017-05-15, 12:16)nsnhd Wrote:
(2017-05-15, 05:22)Gereral1 Wrote: Kodi HDR Project beta released today..... Visit site to download. In youtube video on main channel is the link to download the project.

Video:

10-4 Looking into it. Put a hold on the download til fixed. Thank you for your testing.
(2017-05-15, 13:38)Gereral1 Wrote:
(2017-05-15, 12:16)nsnhd Wrote:

Video:

10-4 Looking into it. Put a hold on the download til fixed. Thank you for your testing.
Fixed. Also no popup black window. Used a different compiler. Kodi will prompt press ok when exit player. Just press ok. Copy over the .exe files with new ones...working on support for other players...
It works great !
- It works with native EVR in MPC-HC also, so that it can decode smoothly with iGPU Intel I5 (no dVGA installed)
- It works fine on my non-HDR Monitor (VA model with contrast 3000:1)
- My system is 1080p, so that I can have HDR on 1080p, great. I have to adjust my 1080p projector to see the effects, though I think it's much less HDR-like on projector.

Thank you, General1. Great Job Smile
(2017-05-16, 11:41)nsnhd Wrote: It works great !
- It works with native EVR in MPC-HC also, so that it can decode smoothly with iGPU Intel I5 (no dVGA installed)
- My system is 1080p, so that I can have HDR on 1080p, great. I have to adjust my 1080p projector to see the effects, though I think it's much less HDR-like on projector.

Thank you for testing. Can't wait to hear others chime in with all different hardware combos.

Playing around with mpc BC and dsplayer. If I get it to work I'll release the Kodi HDR project beta 1.0.0.2
(2017-05-18, 04:44)Gereral1 Wrote:

Thank you for testing. Can't wait to hear others chime in with all different hardware combos.

Playing around with mpc BC and dsplayer. If I get it to work I'll release the Kodi HDR project beta 1.0.0.2
So far it works on my projector also Smile
My projector is the Benq W1070, it's 1080p without HDR. Though the contrast and color are a little less impressed compared to the VA monitor, but it's significantly improved. After adjusting gamma and contrast and the room light condition, I can enjoy HDR movies.
Again thank you and look forwards to next version.
Smile
(2017-05-18, 05:39)nsnhd Wrote:
(2017-05-18, 04:44)Gereral1 Wrote:

My projector is the Benq W1070, it's 1080p without HDR. Though the contrast and color are a little less impressed compared to the VA monitor, but it's significantly improved. After adjusting gamma and contrast and the room light condition, I can enjoy HDR movies.
Smile
Computer monitors and oled and LCD will really SEE the difference. Projection works but you limited to the bulb light coming out. 1080p LCDs should see the big difference in dynamic range. TV manufactures admitted that all panels from 2014 on can show 30-40 percent more dynamic range. Now they can unlock their TVs with HDR content. If my HDR TV looks awesome I can imagine a computer monitor should explode with dynamic range as well.
(2017-05-18, 05:56)Gereral1 Wrote:
(2017-05-18, 05:39)nsnhd Wrote:
(2017-05-18, 04:44)Gereral1 Wrote: Thank you for testing. Can't wait to hear others chime in with all different hardware combos.

Smile
Computer monitors and oled and LCD will really SEE the difference. Projection works but you limited to the bulb light coming out. 1080p LCDs should see the big difference in dynamic range. TV manufactures admitted that all panels from 2014 on can show 30-40 percent more dynamic range. Now they can unlock their TVs with HDR content. If my HDR TV looks awesome I can imagine a computer monitor should explode with dynamic range as well.
Right, projectors are limited by bulb nits but by projectors the real matter is how much you can lower the black level, similarly to oled tv. Projectors with great black level, high dynamic range with good room conditions will benefit most with your solution.
I can add more range but it will crush the blackshse tv and whites. This is the maximum setting. I could offer test files from default, stronger, strongest. Problem is if you push TV past HDR range you introduce interference into the video signal. You end up with banding and other weird effects. At first crushing blacks or whites looks fantastic but as you move from daylight to night video the night video looks bad. HDR must still be within a certain range. Original was 24 stops but ended up a 10 stops to match HDR main 10 content. My TVs black level is different than others so maybe offering 10, 11,12,13,14,15 stops might be a good idea to find sweet spot of every type of screen. It's not fair to release an app calibration to my HDR TV. I'll release a beta and offer 5 settings. 5 HDR on exe files. You try each one and use the one that looks the best without having to touch your TV levels. My XDR app can work in any GUI interface outside kodi. You would simply click on HDR on.exe anywhere on your PC to activate. I'll do that this week and release 10-15 stops and poll the crowd on the best one. Be warned once you go past 10 stops you may crush the details in the blacks or whites. Seiedits HDR calibration will show this in HDR TVs. On sdi TVs you may not see this so much so maybe it's a little more forgiving to push these levels. I'll do this Sat and release this update for testing.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K / HDR content1