• 8(current)
4K / HDR content
(2017-05-24, 17:10)DJ_Izumi Wrote: How on earth is a thread about HDR so emotional and hostile...? o____o

Because some habitually capitalize at the expense of sheeple and anyone who presents alternative avenues, especially free ones, are the enemy and therefore chastised.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-05-23, 07:31)nsnhd Wrote: Using madVR with HDR-to-SDR conversion then output to a Non-HDR display with 3DLUT may be the other way. That way is perhaps correct on theory but unpractical. No chance for millions of non-hdr display users to do a calibration or obtain a 3DLUT.
Furthermore, madVR drops frames as hell unless you got powerful latest hardware like Kabylake or expensive vga cards.
So, atm your program is my only way to enjoy hdr on non-hdr displays.
Couldn't be further from the truth. You can make your own generic 3Dlut without even any hardware meters in about a minute. I have included a few later in this post.

And you can't really use madVR drops frames as an argument. If you don't have hardware GPU support for HEVC, then 4K HEVC is going to be really taxing for most of us (in your words: millions) that don't have the latest CPU anyways. It just so happens that *you* have a cpu that is just about powerful enough to software decode the raw frames from a 4K hevc source, but will stutter with madVR in enabled, but it is very unusual to use a beefy desktop 4 core i5/i7 with Kodi. Going on forward, all CPUs will support HEVC decoding in hardware, and madVR will then cause negligable overhead.

(2017-05-22, 19:02)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Can someone tell me what the situation is on Kodi in regard's to playback of HDR content on an SDR system? My personal example is that I have a few files with HDR content and my desktop software players and Kodi in Windows all play these back looking 'pale' since my displays are all SDR. I have an HDR TV but it's not REALLY HDR, it can really just process HDR signals for it's SDR panel, and my Windows powered Kodi HTPCs have graphics hardware in them that is incapable of HDR transmission. So I'm wondering if Kodi will have any means of converting HDR Rec2020 content to SDR Rec709 or sRGB for a proper 'look' on an SDR system.

You can try one of these generic 3Dluts.
https://mega.nz/#!5uQAEC5Y!_sfHlVBKsNs1t...j7zqEFFCKE

Gamma of rec.709 [email protected], Blacklevel is 0.15nits (which is typical of a "really good" IPS-LCD @ max brightness, or normal TN panel). The right one will depend on how bright your monitor can go. Since the transfer function of HDR is absolute we also need to set a brightness target when converting to SDR. Sometimes you might want to target a higher brightness target than what you actual display is as this will better preserve the transfer function at normal levels and not be so in-you-face. So even though your display is at brightness 300nits, you might want to experiment with 500-600 and even 700 targets. It depends on how you like it. There is room for subjective preferences since you don't really get anything near the "real" HDR effect until you at least hit 700-800nits.

To load a 3DLUT, you need to use Kodi Linux, or Kodi Windows DS with madVR, or MPC-HC with madVR. I reckon using a 3DLUT looks a little better than the conversion madVR does using GPU shaders. (it seems it also that madVR doesn't take into account the blacklevel) 3DLut for Kodi Windows mainline might work if you're using nightly, haven't tried.
Sdi monitors are set to max 80nits. Theae tv can be pushed to 300nits!
(2017-05-24, 18:37)brazen1 Wrote:
(2017-05-24, 17:10)DJ_Izumi Wrote: How on earth is a thread about HDR so emotional and hostile...? o____o

Because some habitually capitalize at the expense of sheeple and anyone who presents alternative avenues, especially free ones, are the enemy and therefore chastised.

Ok send me money....lol.

Have a job paying 7 digits...so this whole thing is for fun. This project really bothers soli.

Funny how he defends hdr . Almost like getting a 8===D
You can try one of these generic 3Dluts.
https://mega.nz/#!5uQAEC5Y!_sfHlVBKsNs1t...j7zqEFFCKE

This 3DLUT file does not match the input/output format required by madVR.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
To proper habitually capitalize at the expense of sheeple, you need to update madvr to the latest version.
v0.91.10
This 3DLUT file does not match the input/output format required by madVR.
I guess to try it out, I'll have to make my own.

"habitually capitalize at the expense of sheeple.." Apparently you have no idea how HDR is supposed to work or look, or you wouldn't be saying that in defence of something looking like real *****.

Find the HDR section under the right device and choose "convert HDR to SDR content by using an external 3DLUT"

You're welcome.
C. Manually applying the 3D LUT file in MadVR1.Browse to the folder where MadVR was extracted
2.Run madHcCtrl.exe
3.Right-click the MadVR tray icon and select 'Edit madVR Settings...'
4.Expand your display device under the devices node
5.Select 'calibration' menu
6.Select 'calibrate this display by using an external 3DLUT files'
7.Check 'disable GPU gamma ramps'
8.For the BT.709 field, browse to the DisplayCAL save location, the profile folder, and select the xxxx.3dlut file

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displa...llcms.html

I'm no expert. Never claimed to be. Just following directions and testing. Here you show how to apply the LUT different then there and it finally worked. Yes, thank you and in appreciation you earned a rep point for being helpful. My statement wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. It is a general statement describing my opinion of the increasing division taking place in my country between money and decency and it trickles all the way down to this little thread according to my little head: There is more than one way to skin a cat in this case. Right, wrong, or indifferent, anyone that tells me and the rest of the world we need to get back in line and behave like good sheeple when there are alternatives to explore opens the door for defiance. The reply was to someone I admire asking why so emotional and hostile. Well, beyond what I already expressed, people in general have become more bold and brazen supporting both sides of the division and it's getting worse. I don't like to see it here in what should be a friendly comradery gathering place where ideas can be exchanged. Anyone that stands up and chastises another around here deserves a swift kick in the ass imo. With that said, thank you again for your enlightenment. I look forward to giving it a whirl as I do with lots of contributions. I like making my own choices and thanks to this forum and others like it, I can discover them and perhaps even come up with some of my own, discouragement free. In the end, I can pick which is best for me knowing I draw my own conclusions and not only those backed with belittlement. I wouldn't take it so personal. Peace.

The "calibration" menu is for SDR. You should use these under the "hdr" tab as that will apply the 3DLUT only on HDR files (use the bt.2020 field, although it won't matter if you only have 3DLUT, it's technically possible to do HDR with bt.709 and DCIP3, but I doubt you'll encounter these type of files), while SDR files will be left untouched.
(2017-05-25, 16:44)brazen1 Wrote: I'm no expert. Never claimed to be. Just following directions and testing. Here you show how to apply the LUT different then there and it finally worked. Yes, thank you and in appreciation you earned a rep point for being helpful. My statement wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. It is a general statement describing my opinion of the increasing division taking place in my country between money and decency and it trickles all the way down to this little thread according to my little head: There is more than one way to skin a cat in this case. Right, wrong, or indifferent, anyone that tells me and the rest of the world we need to get back in line and behave like good sheeple when there are alternatives to explore opens the door for defiance. The reply was to someone I admire asking why so emotional and hostile. Well, beyond what I already expressed, people in general have become more bold and brazen supporting both sides of the division and it's getting worse. I don't like to see it here in what should be a friendly comradery gathering place where ideas can be exchanged. Anyone that stands up and chastises another around here deserves a swift kick in the ass imo. With that said, thank you again for your enlightenment. I look forward to giving it a whirl as I do with lots of contributions. I like making my own choices and thanks to this forum and others like it, I can discover them and perhaps even come up with some of my own, discouragement free. In the end, I can pick which is best for me knowing I draw my own conclusions and not only those backed with belittlement. I wouldn't take it so personal. Peace.
(My bold edits)

Sorry, but this is a technical forum. I have to speak up when I read something ridiculous. People might be googling this stuff, and I think it's a disservice to everybody on the forum if "alternative facts" originated from here.
I didn't take your comment on "why" personally, but it was uncalled for even if though it was rather amusing. I can respect anyone's opinion as long as it's based on personal experience, choices or comparisons. I thought you really were talking from your *own experience*, from your *own conclusions*, and *own comparisons*. Even if I would think you are crazy for preferring the look of MPC adjustments compared to a 3DLUT, I would respect that.

But it became clear that you didn't speak from your own conclusions. It was just a fanboyism.
Furthermore, it wasn't particularly hostile to begin with.

You can't correct for tone and gamut mapping, and converting the transfer function, by adjusting MPC-HC's saturation contrast brightness. Not "Because some habitually capitalize at the expense of sheeple...", but because it's just plain crazy!
Yep. In the few minutes spent checking this 3DLUT method, it looks very nice. I would almost go as far as saying 'Sharp'. It is darker than what I've previously viewed but I've only tried the bt2020to709-4000to800-0.15blacklevel-0offset.3dlut profile. Not sure if I'm losing detail in shadows at this point but blacks are as dark as anything I've seen while whites may need some improvement. I could spend hours playing with this and no doubt I will. I'll need to revert MPC-HC and MPC-BE to default and start over after adjusting them for various methods. The calibration is applied only when an HDR file is played which is very cool and playback is perfect. Playing SDR using current adjustments results in stutter which I hope I can straighten out. Thanks again for showing us another way. Looking forward to any other tips you might feel worthy especially player and filter settings Nvidia friendly.

Personally, I see no alternative facts. Put it all on the table and let users decide. I am trying everything from my own experience, drawing my own conclusions and comparisons. I don't consider trying every method crazy and I don't prefer any one thing at this time since I'm still exploring what's out there. Not sure why you have to attack? I'm preparing for when I can rip my own UHD HDR when and if possible. In the mean time, I have test files to work with and know I will have plenty of methods for playback when the time comes having tried them all succesfully:

Windows Movie and TV app using Windows HDR.
PowerDVD with and without Windows HDR.
MPC HC/BE with and without Windows HDR including many versatile implementations.
Looking forward to Kodi internal player and interested in seamless external integration until then. Should Kodi internal player be inferior, I'll have other choices prepared. No user interaction is of interest to me. I like complete automation. So far I think I've narrowed that down to two. 3DLUT injection and PowerDVD. The latter requires older Nvidia drivers though and until the standard gets a grip, traction is going to change so I don't rule anything out until the fat lady sings.

I suspect many are trying HDR test files and the first thing they see is a dull washed out picture and thinking wtf is this? As much as you consider this a technical forum, many non-techies come here looking for answers. Some want highly advanced answers with technical procedures to produce the best possible outcome backed my multitudes of 'this is the best way'. That may or may not involve money (one quick deciding factor) for sheeple. Another may involve the shear learning curve that must be adhered for an outcome that perhaps a non-techie doesn't want to learn. (another quick deciding factor sheeple don't tend to migrate towards). A method such as increasing saturation and contrast via a player and/or panel will produce quick satisfaction - something a lot of sheeple would grasp because they aren't looking for the greatest. They just want a watchable picture to crack a beer open to. Figuring out how to rip a title was enough achievement and won't be burdened with playback too. To them, it is the greatest. For those reasons, ALL methods are welcomed in my book. While one is your opinion of correct, it won't be correct for everyone. Other methods are not alternative facts like a headline. They are choices unique users make for themselves. Those decisions are based on how they choose to interpret what is presented to them and what fits them best. This isn't a right or wrong issue and taking a hardline stance in the name of everyone is counter productive. Let's compare notes here and stop getting sidetracked. Stop attacking people. This isn't a dictatorship. This isn't a place to belittle people and fuel bickering. Everyone and everything is of value to others even if it isn't to you. Go read your 1st 3 posts in this resurrected thread. You claim you're not particularly hostile? Your last post is hostile too. No hostility intended from part in any of this and my deepest respect and forgiveness continues...... so that we all might continue exchanging.

I would love to use madvr and try silo luts but AMD RX cannot use madvr. Bug pending to mashi. Been a bug for months. Guess it's my way for AMD users until mashi fixes HDR main 10 bug
It appears stereoscopic 3D is turned off globally when any file is played using madVR. Under 'Rendering/stereo 3D setting' no amount of fiddling with the 4 adjustment works properly. It either results in playing back the title but never turning stereoscopic back on at system level or crashing the player before playback even begins. Turning off stereoscopic at system level, madVR will perform proper no matter what settings are selected.

For now I've left it at:
Enable 3D
When playing 2D -Checked - Disable at O/S level
When playing 3D - Unchecked
Restore O/S 3D settings when closed - Checked (This doesn't work. Have to manually enable every single time for 3D playback)

For now I guess I could add
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
to my .bat for 3D playback in order to restore the setting when it's really needed.

It's always something. It's a shame. I was looking forward to employing this as a daily driver because HDR with 3DLUT looks very sharp compared to others imo but if it breaks other perfectly working formats I'll have to weigh the pros and cons. Hopefully someone else has experienced this and will provide their solution. Perhaps it's already a known bug and there is no solution especially with 3D pushed out of the big picture. Maybe I've got a conflicting adjustment somewhere although I've been chasing this for hours now. I give up.

• 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K / HDR content1