• 10(current)
4K / HDR content
Please include proper decompile tool so we can experiment with changes.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
When i get hdr.cal automation done ill release the source code. If you guys use my code please give me a credit for it. All you have to do is download ms studio latestest version. Then use this to load my code project. Then you can mess around with it I will need help with nvidia users to test on their cards. I can take care of the amd side with their sdk. I will only share the code upon request. Let me get 2.0 coded and ill let you play with it.
Found out you need to update .net framework from microsoft then vb program will work.
(2017-06-15, 16:49)brazen1 Wrote: I don't know diddly about any of this. I'm just a user trying. When I learn, I will teach others. You seem very on top of the game. Why don't you teach us? You write the Nvdia API or Windows10 Creators Update API is a one time config setting as if everything HDR and non-hdr is automated, adjusted, set and forget. Maybe it is? Remember, I'm an idiot and I respect your knowledge. Maybe you could share exactly how you've accomplished what appears to be impossible at this time. Perhaps I'm dumber than I think and completely missed the boat you're on. I'd like to sail too. Help me.
madVR must be used in fullscreen exclusive mode. (find the setting in madVR configuration) You can use unoffical Kodi DS with madVR and be done with it. GTX1030 is a highly recommended GPU for this.
(2017-06-18, 09:40)Soli Wrote:
(2017-06-15, 16:49)brazen1 Wrote: I don't know diddly about any of this. I'm just a user trying. When I learn, I will teach others. You seem very on top of the game. Why don't you teach us? You write the Nvdia API or Windows10 Creators Update API is a one time config setting as if everything HDR and non-hdr is automated, adjusted, set and forget. Maybe it is? Remember, I'm an idiot and I respect your knowledge. Maybe you could share exactly how you've accomplished what appears to be impossible at this time. Perhaps I'm dumber than I think and completely missed the boat you're on. I'd like to sail too. Help me.
madVR must be used in fullscreen exclusive mode. (find the setting in madVR configuration) You can use unoffical Kodi DS with madVR and be done with it. GTX1030 is a highly recommended GPU for this.
But GT 1030 has only 2GB Vram and I remember @madshi and @nevcairiel have warned to stay away from 2GB cards because the vram lack to render 4K.
I have been using fullscreen exclusive mode. I've also been using a GTX 960 4GB without issue as well. I have no desire to use an unofficial build. I am able to play HDR half a dozen ways using 3 different players successfully. None of them are 100% automated hdr to non-hdr though. There is interaction required when watching one or the other. MadVR does not put a display into HDR mode when using a LUT. It just coverts to SDR. MadVR allows bypass but then you have to MANUALLY FORCE hdr mode. The API trick does not force native HDR either. I know this API trick half ass works for some, but not for me no matter how many hoops I jump through. Probably Intel graphics successful and Nvidia not so much no matter the API selected. I don't think we are quite ready to "be done with it". There is refinement, diversity, and automation left on the table let alone ripping. I have a question for you or anyone actually. When I switch on Windows HDR, the desktop is unusable. It fades out, the DPI and text is blurred, etc. Is the desktop unaffected using Nvidia 10xxx like the GTX 1030 reliably? This is why we need a HDR and advanced color hotkey or shortcut.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Maybe you need to upgrade vram (as of now that means ugrading the gpu) if you were to use a lot of madVR postprocessing. Ymmv.
The text is blurry because the HDMI comittee f***** it up when designing HDMI 2.0(x). There is not enough bandwidth for 4:4:4 10/12bit fps@4k.
I believe the desktop is faded because Windows does not have system level color management and in the case of SDR2HDR conversion also no proper eotf adaption. I guess there, in time, will be improvements in this area.
Why would I need to upgrade anything? Again, I'm successfully playing everything I can throw at the 960. Just with HDR now in the mix, I can't automate it along with everything else which is presently automated. If Windows HDR and advanced color switch could be left on, there would not be a problem. Are you agreeing the desktop gets wiped out with it on all the time or saying if I upgrade the GPU to a 10xxx the problem will not be present? In other words, is anyone successfully able to leave the Windows HDR switch on without it affecting the Windows desktop?

Im not saying you personally should upgrade anything. That was regarding gtx1030.

The gtx9XX series were only HDMI 2.0. I'm not sure if 2.0a or even 2.0b is possible with drivers alone or if it needs to be firmware upgraded. If it's the latter then you're out of luck because no way the the various OEMs are going to bother developing new firmware (even if basically handed down by Nvidia) It was easy for Nvidia on the Shield because they control everything.
Uhm, the Windows HDR option is not even available until drivers are updated so a driver update vs. a firmware update must not be an issue. I don't care about The Shield. You are missing the whole point. HDR playback is not an issue. Automating playback between HDR and non-hdr properly is. The 'GOAL' is no user interaction when clicking ANY title within Kodi. I want to sit on the couch, browse the Kodi library with my remote, and click enter on ANY title and play it back. Those titles are going to be EVERYTHING in the Kodi wiki test files and more. 3D MVC/SBS/TAB, h264 Blu-rays, x265's, mkv containers, iso containers, HDR file structure and iso, , Atmos, etc, etc, etc. Presently only HDR cannot be automated like everything else presently is. You can't simply press enter on an HDR title. Before or after you do, you will need to change various settings and you will need to change them back if you want to play a non-hdr title. Nobody wants to fool around with settings whether you know exactly what needs changing or not. We just want to click play and be done with it. You can avoid all this by using various methods already in use that are automated. All those methods are fouled and present underlying detriments of one sort or another though. They play good enough to get by but are far from ideal. Ideal playback involves user interaction. That's what needs to be automated. So, I say again, if Windows native HDR could be left enabled or a shortcut that could be added to a script to enable it only when needed were developed, we would not be having this discussion.

My question is......
Is this point moot and I just don't know it? I'm using an old video card. I won't be laying out $700 for a new one. I'm cheap like that. To those that have, is your windows desktop still perfect once you enable Windows HDR and advanced color switch? (as if you don't even know it's enabled) For starter feedback, maybe you could answer that @Soli?

(2017-06-18, 17:38)Soli Wrote: Im not saying you personally should upgrade anything. That was regarding gtx1030.

The gtx9XX series were only HDMI 2.0. I'm not sure if 2.0a or even 2.0b is possible with drivers alone or if it needs to be firmware upgraded. If it's the latter then you're out of luck because no way the the various OEMs are going to bother developing new firmware (even if basically handed down by Nvidia) It was easy for Nvidia on the Shield because they control everything.

AIUI there is no major underlying hardware difference between 2.0 and 2.0a or b so I'd expect compatibility in GPU terms to be software/firmware/driver issue? AIUI the main differences are just adding more signalling ? Though I guess dynamic metadata could be an issue (was that added in 2.0b for HDR+10 - which is the HDR10 camp's answer to Dolby Vision's dynamic metadata? HDR10 is static, HLG doesn't use it in the same way.)

HDMI 2.1 is different in hardware terms so new GPU hardware presumably will be required for that.
As I said, the Windows desktop isn't color managed. But apparently MS have done some crude (and non correct) form of tone/gamut mapping of the desktop/SDR when enabling HDR. I read the new insider version includes new options to tailor this to your liking. Along with general color management, when you put SDR in a HDR container you should let the user customize the brightness of the SDR (brightness as in luminance, not as in black level) part. Maybe MS has added these options in the new Insider build, but they have probably f***** up once again. They'll get there eventually...

Btw the problems with wrong colors on the desktop (and non color managed apps) is also a known problem for photographers with Adobe RGB monitors. In this case the colors would bee too saturated. Apple has had proper color management since 1993, even iOS is properly color managed since iOS 9. So when Apple finally decides to support HDR you can bet they won't f up like MS...but I digress.

I've answered your main question a few times already. When in exclusive mode, madVR should be able to autoswitch to HDR. I set this up on my friends TV with LG B6 OLED, along with calibrating it. I've told him not to touch anything. But I don't think it even matters to him since there isn't any proper HDR content yet. There might be a specific driver/kodi/madvr/setting combination, but if it was then can't remember. Anyways I believe there will be improvements in madVR regarding compatibility (to HDR autoswitching) in the coming months.
(2017-06-18, 20:06)Soli Wrote: As I said, the Windows desktop isn't color managed. But apparently MS have done some crude (and non correct) form of tone/gamut mapping of the desktop/SDR when enabling HDR. I read the new insider version includes new options to tailor this to your liking. Along with general color management, when you put SDR in a HDR container you should let the user customize the brightness of the SDR (brightness as in luminance, not as in black level) part. Maybe MS has added these options in the new Insider build, but they have probably f***** up once again. They'll get there eventually...

Btw the problems with wrong colors on the desktop (and non color managed apps) is also a known problem for photographers with Adobe RGB monitors. In this case the colors would bee too saturated. Apple has had proper color management since 1993, even iOS is properly color managed since iOS 9. So when Apple finally decides to support HDR you can bet they won't f up like MS...but I digress.

Well we know how well MS coped with 16-235 vs 0-255 for a long time...
I didn't ask anything about madVR, exclusive mode, etc. I have all that proper and working as well as it can which is good enough to get by but not as it should be. I asked if you turn on Windows HDR, is the desktop presentable? I don't care about madVR and pumping it. I use madVR. Is it the answer? No. Does it produce enough of a picture to get by? Yes. MadVR does not put the display in native HDR mode. It either bypasses it (in which case you have to manually enable Windows Native HDR) or converts to SDR. Converting to SDR does not enable HDR. You can go look at your settings and see if contrast is even bumped up. It isn't. You have to do that manually too which wipes out your calibrations for non-hdr stuff. Of course everything will have improvements in the coming months or years. In the mean time, enabling native HDR answers all the quirks. We just need a shortcut for it so it can be added to scripts and automate everything. If MS comes out with calibrations so it's desktop friendly when enabled, great. We won't need shortcuts. I'm not holding my breath to find out. I'm also not spending more and more money every time I turn around. As it stands, everything is perfect using older equipment except that damn HDR switch shortcut. Until then, I'll continue manually enabling it when needed which actually puts my display into true native HDR mode retaining calibrations for that mode and all the others. Lastly, Kodi will need to implement UHD playback in order to even start to take advantage of HDR using it's internal player. Until ripping is tackled, no one has interest imo. I've read a few things here and there. Maybe v.18 will address? The few times I've loaded it, it didn't work for me. Thanks for the input.

I don't get it. You suddenly do a full 180 and lecture me about HDR mode and how contrast isn't bumped up.. thanks but I did answer your questions, specifically #145 but others others too.

Here's the recap:

A) MadVR autoswitches the TV to HDR mode when playing HDR.
B) Yes, desktop is faded in HDR mode, I explained why. Then again, it doesn't matter since A) applies.
C) If you use the unofficial Kodi DS build, you can use Kodi with madVR. See A)
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K / HDR content1