Features for another type of kodi user?
I understand that kodi is very popular for its many add-ons and working with streaming. Also working with multimedia libraries, etc.
But I'm a different type of user and suppose there are many like me: those on a (full) PC (in my case a Mac mini), which serves as a HTPC, who use kodi to work with the remote control on the sofa in the living room.
People who already have a collection of multimedia and therefore only need an access to their multimedia and information files.
People coming from different operating systems, software and hardware media players around, who simple want to work from their file structure.
They are dependent on the file manager of kodi, because only there are all files of a subject together in a folder, for example AVI, .SRT, JPG, .TXT, .URL (.WEBLOC).
Now it would be a big improvement if kodi from its file manager could show text files (only read) and open a website and if it could detect between OK and PLAY buttons on the remote control for processing one item (OK) or this and following similar kind of items (PLAY).
I guess my questions are not really that difficult, but maybe there is no interest at the kodi men who might otherwise be oriented. Perhaps a new consideration?
Not sure I follow. Can you state a specific example?
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
kodi - system - file manager:

1) browsing --> folder --> AVI, .SRT, JPG, .TXT, .URL (.WEBLOC) ...

.TXT file ---> reader

.URL ---> go to web source

2) remote control:

OK button --> 1 item

PLAY button ---> continous action (eg play this and all .AVI)
- There is:
Pictures settings - File lists - Show video files in listings Y/N

- It would be of great help for a user such as I if there was:

Video settings - File lists - Show picture files in listings Y/N

and if there was a build-in text reader:
Video settings - File lists - Show text files in listings Y/N

then I should not have to use File manager all the time (because now it's the only possibilty to have see my files together)
You don't have to use filemanager all the time. Have a read here -> http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_videos_to_the_library
Learning Linux the hard way !!
As a starter, I would go this way, but after more than 30 years with a large collection of media files... once again another player with it's library rules... I have abandonned this way.
Well of course there are rules. If you want Kodi to show pictures in lists then there have to be rules otherwise it wouldn't be able to determine which picture goes with which file. I can assure you that it's well worth the effort involved.
I think you do not understand me quite well.
I'm against having once again to do all the work to make my information compatible with a media player library.
After more than 30 years, the only thing I trust as sustainable is the use of the system file structure where, for example, each movie corresponds with one folder, whose naming is very informative for me. In the folder are the image files (cover, screens and by lack of a text reader an image of the text file with plot and other information), a text file, an URL file, and video file(s) of that movie.
I was only hoping that a much compatible media player as KODI could be helpfull for such a type of user.
with a custom scraper this could work I guess. The other option I see is to write a custom add-on that gives you a pimped filesystem view. And with a skin that supports home menu customization you could make your home menu directly enter that add-on in a specific folder.

edit: maybe if you upload a dummy file structure, someone could have a closer look, or an add-on dev could write something for you.
Kodi can quite happily work with such a structure, assuming your naming convention follows one of the online meta-sites where Kodi pulls its information from. It will use your covers (again provided they are named correctly) and will obtain plot, actor information etc etc and display all of this for you in a nice interface. Kodi doesn't need a text reader, or an image of a text file to be able to do this.

If you don't want to rename anything and are happy with your file structure, it's possible to use a third party program to generate an NFO file for each movie, and link artwork, plot, actors etc with that. Kodi can then be told to use 'local information only' in which case it will read those nfo files and create the database using the information contained in them. See http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/movies for details. You can just put the URL to the movie on either tmdb or imdb and Kodi will pull down the required information.

It sounds to me as if what you already have structure-wise is pretty close to what Kodi requires and that it just requires scanning in.

You can, if you don't trust what Kodi is going to do, duplicate a directory somewhere and just add that as a source to see what happens. You might well be pleased with the results.
You might be interested in this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8728
(2016-04-11, 16:38)Razze Wrote: You might be interested in this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8728

This should be a great help for me.
I think there is a case to be made about browsing mixed media. Since things like production photos, audio interviews, and other TV/movie related content might not have a scraper or metadata, the easiest thing would be to just use a basic file structure. I'm not sure how useful text viewing would be, but I don't see how it would hurt :)

Maybe something like the Video Extras add-on, where you have an entry and are basically given a "related media" link? At least for the short term. Personally, I find the "extras"'concept so flexible and useful that I think it should be a core feature. It could easily be expanded for things like this.
(2016-04-11, 16:38)Razze Wrote: You might be interested in this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8728

With some additional explanation on the forum I understand that this expansion is unfortunately not yet available.
I would be very grateful user, even if far from perfect, "better something than nothing."
(2016-04-12, 04:32)Ned Scott Wrote: I find the "extras"'concept so flexible and useful that I think it should be a core feature. It could easily be expanded for things like this.

So much YES! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Features for another type of kodi user?0