“Kodi” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash
I have the same problem, I was trying to install the current version of 16.1 on a new MacBook having used 16.1 for a while on an older MacBook.

I have tried from a number of download locations and got the same error.

I have not codesigned the App either on the old or new MacBook

I pulled the working 16.1 App out of my backups and compared it to the fresh download and found the following differences:

Tims-MBP:~ tim$ diff -r ~/Applications/Kodi.app/ /Volumes/Kodi/Kodi.app/
Only in /Users/tim/Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/addons/service.xbmc.versioncheck/lib: __init__.pyo
Only in /Users/tim/Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/addons/service.xbmc.versioncheck/lib: common.pyo
Only in /Users/tim/Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/addons/service.xbmc.versioncheck/lib: jsoninterface.pyo
Only in /Users/tim/Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/addons/service.xbmc.versioncheck/lib: versions.pyo

Copying those files by hand into the downloaded app allows it to work.
Hi Guys... I am having the same problem ever since I update to the OS Siera 10.12, (never had this issue with El Capitan version). Did some research and it seems that Apple has changed the gatekeeper function to reject any non App Store software and you no longer have the option to go into settings and tell it to open from 'ANYWHERE' as you once did previously. There is a work around to disable gatekeeper function or Open Gatekeeper Friendly utility available on the web to download. However, I have also been experiencing Kodi Crashes when opening Kodi under the new OS...
I am running Jarvis 16.1 and as I said never had any problems before updating to OS Siera.
As suggested on the other thread open terminal.app and enter

Code:
spctl --add --label "Kodi" /Applications/Kodi.app

Should fix this. As i can't reproduce the issue i need finally someone who is able to enter this command in the correct way and confirm that it fixes the issue so that i can update the wiki with the needed instructions.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
This did not work for me, I was prompted to auth the request but then no change to opening the App

I tried in both /Applications and in my home directory

Also note there are 2 different issues here, code signing / gatekeeper in 10.11+ and separately the fact that the Kodi download of 16.1 is broken due to missing files.
Reading up on this quickly I think this is the issue:

Taken from: http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/g...als-part-2

Approving Apps

To allow an app to run, we first assign it a label:

Code:
spctl --add --label "ApprovedApps" /Applications/MyApp.app

Next, we tell Gatekeeper that we want to approve all apps with the label ApprovedApps:

Code:
spctl --enable --label "ApprovedApps"
(2016-10-25, 23:14)TimFletcher Wrote: ...and separately the fact that the Kodi download of 16.1 is broken due to missing files.

Mhhhh thats not true imo right?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I posted the diff -r form a working 16.1 download and a current 16.1 download in this thread (first post of page 2)
But we never changed the download of 16.1 - if the file is corrupted it shouldn't even open the dmg - this all makes zero sense to me
I've done a bit more digging today and dug the original DMG I downloaded out and checked the sha1sum with current downloads, which match so this is a different problem.

The fact remains that the current download doesn't work on macOS 10.11 or 10.12 and is missing a small number of python files.

I'll test to see if changing gatekeeper settings allows the application to work, but the new user experience for Kodi on macOS is currently "less than ideal"
and i can tell from a test right at this very moment that it works here on 10.11.6 and on 10.12 with a fresh downloaded kodi 16.1 for me. So the new user experience seems different everywhere.
Reinstalled a fresh copy of kodi 16.1 tonight on Macos 10.12. No issues here either.
(Also i tested kodi 17 beta 4 and nothing to report, good work guys. The new layout in system is however creating a new user experiense here Smile )
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
It's possible that it's related to either existing config or some additional security settings I have turned on. I'll test with a MacBook that hasn't seen Kodi before.
I also am having this issue. It started after I tried to install a fresh version of software after I already had the software installed and working first. I uninstalled the applications and redownloaded the software. On each time I open the software initially, it asked me to open the application of an unknown developer. But on redownloading is does not ask me for this permission. Also, there is no right click option to open from an unknown developer. Secondly, on initial startup of each application, it asks me if I want to accept incoming connections, and I always say yes. On the redownloaded initial startup of the same application, it does not ask me this question again.

The only message I receive is: "Kodi" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash. mirror.umd.edu

The above message now happens for me with Kodi 16.1, 17.0 (beta), and FreeTelly
You need to disable gatekeeper. Also what is FreeTelly?
It's a banned add-on (wiki) build for the usual piracy reasons.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
“Kodi” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash0