Req Night DSP
Some older Yamaha AVRs (and probably some other brands too) had a feature called 'Night Mode' which was incredibly useful for watching loud movies at night.

In newer Yamaha amps this has been replaced with a somewhat useless DRC feature that is supposed to do the same, but only actually works at low volume and does nothing at higher gain.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a night-mode DSP plugin? (just asking, I realize someone also has to have time to write it!)

This could actually be a preset on a much more comprehensive DSP Plugin as all it really is is a multi-channel audio compressor and limiter.

Essentially, it reduces loud audio and (depending on settings) can increase very quite audio resulting in smaller dynamic range.
(2016-04-05, 11:42)Gothicawakening Wrote: I wonder if it would be possible to have a night-mode DSP plugin? (just asking, I realize someone also has to have time to write it!)
Sure this is possible and you have it already mentioned that it needs someone who can write it. Cause I'm the only Dev, which is working on AudioDSP it will take some time. As you see I maintain three add-ons for many platforms.
But I really have the same goal as you replacing a av-receiver with Kodi. Maybe some day we/I will reach this goalWink

Hopefully my refactor of adsp.template will save some time for developing new add-ons, cause you don't have to deal with the entire AudioDSP API and will bring us cool new features.

So stay tuned for my upcoming posts Wink

But in the meanwhile I will keep posting in the forums very low to focus on my actual developments.
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.
+1 for a "Night Mode" Audio DSP addon that is optimized for "Night Time Listening" in Kodi.

Some sort of adaptive Dynamic Range Compression with disabled LFE-channel (bass/subwoffer)?

I believe that "Night Mode" also ampify the center-channel because that usually carries speech?

Nickname it "WAF mode" as I think it will have a very high Wife Acceptence Factor at home Wink
Great idea!
+1 here as well, and I second these points! Minimizing a subwoffer would go a long way.

(2016-04-18, 17:32)RockerC Wrote: Some sort of adaptive Dynamic Range Compression with disabled LFE-channel (bass/subwoffer)?

I believe that "Night Mode" also ampify the center-channel because that usually carries speech?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD
Hi,

I'm a sound engineer (as part of my professional "Hobbies")

I can defiantly help push it forward if any help is needed.

I can also help you test the DSP in my home studio with my monitors for optimal settings.

it is not hard to do actually and you can set it up with current DSP addons as well. You just need to know how to...

I can give you some basic "tips";

1. No EQ for input whatsoever
2. A decent compression on specific frequencies (=a lot more headroom for later)
3. setting the EQ parameters and frequency range (even with SW - X<50hz - eliminate - even though only from 40hz down you get the WOBBLE effect of a SW).
4. Setting compression and limiters for more DB and dynamic range
*5. EQ if needed (usually not)
6. Output settings for 2, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 setups.

*EQ is needed not specifically for music genres but for your speaker set limitation and design. Most people don't really know that this is what it's made for.

Basically, those are the recommended steps for achieving the change you're looking for without affecting sound quality even for a night mode.
You can also set it up for music and movies (like I do for myself) and get a more cinematic experience (Chorus, Reverb/Ambient effects for that matter on very small levels).

Hope this is relevent and helps you guys, if there is anyway where I can help, let me know.

Regards,
Etai.
Sounds great.Blush

Which platform do you use for Kodi with your monitors?

Are you familiar with CMake oder C/C++?

Filters could be easilty integrated with asplib. But compressors and limiters are currently missing.
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Night DSP0