menu washed out, 0-255 / 16-235 colour
ok, soi'm back again after updating to windows 10 and I am more confient than ever there is something wrong in KODI.

Everything now works on my PC as it should, web video plays back correctly, no clipping or crushing, desktop video playback through MPV and MDVR all ok and video are also playing fine in KODI and sterioscopic player, all have zero issues.

But, KODI menus is washed out. This can be corrected using two methods.

1. Set KODI to 0-255 - this crushs blacks for video playback.
2. Set you TV to 0-255, this also crushes video playback.

Lets put aside for a minute everything thats been discussed, can someoone please answer me this simply question:

The video output setting in KODI can be switched from either 16-234 or 0-255 so you can properly match this with your TV's colour space setting when playing a movie. Ok, this makes sense doesnt it. Why then does this also effect the KODI GUI which has nothing whatsoever to do with hardware accelerated playback, changing this setting should have no bearing on the GUI whatsoever.

That is the issue, everything else is irrelevant, the GUI should match the windows desktop colour space or have its own setting.
Quote:2. Set you TV to 0-255, this also crushes video playback.

this doesn't make any sense already.

you can only get washed out or correct colors with this option. crushing is not possible.
ok, ignore all the settings for now, we'll come back to those.

Why does setting kodi to 16-235 wash out the gui menu, it should have no change on that.
(2016-04-24, 17:01)stoolzo Wrote: Lets put aside for a minute everything thats been discussed, can someoone please answer me this simply question:

The video output setting in KODI can be switched from either 16-234 or 0-255 so you can properly match this with your TV's colour space setting when playing a movie. Ok, this makes sense doesnt it. Why then does this also effect the KODI GUI which has nothing whatsoever to do with hardware accelerated playback, changing this setting should have no bearing on the GUI whatsoever.

That is the issue, everything else is irrelevant, the GUI should match the windows desktop colour space or have its own setting.

Asked and answered several times beginning with my first reply to you on April 4. You're asking them to break correct behavior, and you still don't seem to understand that. SMH.

As for your apparent desire to achieve consistent levels between desktop and video, I told you how to do that, too.
should KODI be set to 16-234 or not then?
ok, I finally think i've found the correct combination of settings, what was throwing me is that pretty much everything I read says the software player should be sending 15-234 output, all my combinations used were based on setting KODI to 16-235. it just doesnt work properly.

Here are my settings, everything now looks good and no clipping is occurring.

TV BLACK LEVEL (LG OLED TV: LOW
ATI GFX CARD PIXEL FORMAT - YBCR 4:4:4
ATI GFX CARD VIDEO COLOUR SPACE - LIMTED 16-235
KODI USE 16-234 - UNTICKED

I havent fully tested everything yet but this could be the right combination for my PC / TV
(2016-04-25, 00:44)stoolzo Wrote: ATI GFX CARD PIXEL FORMAT - YBCR 4:4:4

With that option, you're telling the card to compress all output to 16-235. This is the choice of last resort, because it compresses the desktop color space from 0-255 to 16-235, and it requires video to be expanded from 16-235 to 0-255 so that the final compression to 16-235 works right. Among other things, examine a video gray scale gradient for banding introduced by this levels round trip, e.g. the AVS HD 709 Grayscale Ramp.

Quote:KODI USE 16-234 - UNTICKED

Here are my settings, everything now looks good and no clipping is occurring.

Those settings should cause you to lose BTB and WTW in video.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
menu washed out, 0-255 / 16-235 colour0