Win [Question] About windows only emulators
I'm wondering if it would be at all possible to compile windows emulation programs (programs that are NOT part of the retroplayer cores) like Dolphin, Steam, or PCSX2, to be integrated into the Kodi-Game. I'm not asking for a request, I'm just wondering if it were possible. Huh

My reasoning is the retroplayer part is an all-well-and-good multi platform solution, but... I'd like to see emulators that already exist and work extremely well on windows be integrated into kodi-game in the same way as the retro player cores (with a dedicated library like movies and Tv shows). Smile

(I know advanced launcher still exists and still works, but It's not the best solution for my needs (I still use it for my PC games and more "recent" emulators). This kind of solution would be more convenient, at least for me.)

I'm just putting this Idea out there.

Cheers
~FLMS1
If/when those emulators are ported to the libretro architecture then it will become possible to integrate them. Bug the developers of those emulators to port them to libretro. Steam is of course unlikely to fit that bill though, but then it isn't an emulator and you will need to keep running it as you do standalone games.

Also, Dolphin and PCSX2 are both cross platform emulators, not windows emulators.
These apps will need to be ported to libretro. libretro is the API used by RetroArch and Kodi's retroplayer. The idea is to modify the source code of emulators and replace the frontend with our own. This is generally not an easy task, and the RetroArch team has invested tremendous effort to get as many cores as we have today. However, this requires access to the source code.

Steam and its games are closed source, so they will never operate within our ecosystem. They are effectively black boxes, so instead of handling video, audio and input at the source code level, we would have to handle it at the OS level. This means complex windows-specific code to capture rendering (if this is even possible) and complex windows-specific code to emulate input devices (possible but a PITA)

Dolphin and PCSX2 are open source, but they fall into the "not an easy task" category.
(2016-04-07, 13:14)garbear Wrote: Steam and its games are closed source, so they will never operate within our ecosystem. They are effectively black boxes, so instead of handling video, audio and input at the source code level, we would have to handle it at the OS level. This means complex windows-specific code to capture rendering (if this is even possible) and complex windows-specific code to emulate input devices (possible but a PITA)
Another way to handle Steam games in RetroPlayer is make game cllient for existing methods of streaming capture rendering, such as NVIDIA GameStream via the open source Moonlight reverse engineering project.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220965

While I don't think that someone have yet reversed engineenered Steam, nor Xbox One, nor PlayStation 4 streaming, they all do feature streaming capture rendering with input to their own supported clients. So it is not technically impossible for someone to reverse engineer those too, just as Moonlight was Moonlight reverse engineered from NVIDIA GameStream.
Also for Dolphin there is already a libretro core project on github:
https://github.com/libretro/dolphin

I guess one day it will be available, but there is still a lot of work to do. Also i believe currently nobody is really working on it. But twinaphex stated he want to pick up the work on it this month again... so who knows ;P
(2016-04-08, 00:31)NeroBoron Wrote: Also for Dolphin there is already a libretro core project on github:
https://github.com/libretro/dolphin

I guess one day it will be available, but there is still a lot of work to do. Also i believe currently nobody is really working on it. But twinaphex stated he want to pick up the work on it this month again... so who knows ;P

yea and PCSX2 looks like it will never happen everyone says its not possible PCSX2 is poorly coded or something. What they say is we will have to wait for a new PS2 emulator Play! to get games running. Hopefully we get at least a Dolphin port and someone can keep it up to date.

maybe when retroplayer gets released with Kodies user base things will move faster more game ports more emulators etc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Question] About windows only emulators0