setting changes are not retained
I'm using Amber 2.2.5 on Kodi Jarvis 16.0 on an Amazon FireTV (1st gen)

Every time I restart Kodi all of my changes are lost. I've tried:
checking to the vertical menu
deactivating home menu items
changing backgrounds to multi image

I can make these changes one & a time or all at once but they all are lost every time I QUIT kodi.

The only change that seems to hold is to turn off or on home shelf items.

Any suggestions?
I totally figured it out!!!! I am off to bed but will write the solution in the morning. Also will do a tutorial of it.
I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation.
Plantkiller,
Any progress towards revealing what you did?
(2016-04-13, 14:38)rcrh Wrote: Plantkiller,
Any progress towards revealing what you did?

I'm going to try and guess as I don't have a FireTV but in v16 the skin settings are now stored in a different location per skin rather than all together in the guisettings.xml file.

Can you check permissions on ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.amber/settings.xml
Well, on my firetv (not sure why it would be different then any android box) the directory is actually
~/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/settings.xml
and the permissions are
RW_ RW_ ___
I'm not sure who the owner is or who is in the GROUP but those are the permissions.

Are you sure about the path? I have a skin.xxx for each skin installed EXCEPT confluence. And I have a guisettings.xml still under ~/.kodi/userdata/

Is my install messed up? Should I uninstall and clear out ~/.kodi/... and start over?

And are you sure this is the right file? I just looked at my ~/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/settings.xml.
It has some basic declarations about the skin and then a bunch of info for the various languages. Nothing about configuration options.
(2016-04-13, 22:42)rcrh Wrote: Well, on my firetv (not sure why it would be different then any android box) the directory is actually
~/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/settings.xml

According to the wiki the android location of settings.xml may be

/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.amber
OK. to test I just installed a skin that I had never looked at before and then checked my files.
Sure enough I'm an idiot and there are in fact two directors for each skin.
/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.amber
and
/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/skin.amber

So, putting that bit of nonsense aside I checked the permissions on both folders & both files
~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.amber RWX RWX __X
~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.amber/settings.xml RW_ RW_ ___
~/.kodi/addons/skin.amber RWX RWX __X
~/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/addon.xml RW_ RW_ ___

it looks like those permissions are sufficient for kodi to update its settings, right?
Can you try changing a single setting e.g. Vertical home and then comparing the addon_data settings.xml before the change, after the change and after you quit Kodi?
So I grabbed five copies of settings.xml
1) prior to starting kodi
2) while kodi is running
3) changed menu to vertical (kodi still running)
4) quit kodi
5) restarted kodi

When I restarted kodi the menu was back to horizontal.

All five files had the same date & time stamp.
All five files were identical.

I'm not sure what is going on.
I really hope plantkiller posts his solution.
Any other thoughts?
I also tried editing one of the copies I made and then copied it back (I changed the menu to vertical). It worked.
I then tried making other changes within Kodi & nothing stayed.

So until plantkiller posts his solution I guess I can read through the skinning documentation and figure out all of the changes I want to make & manually edit the settings.xml file & hope I don't toast my install.
Looks like it may be a known issue. I'm not sure if anything listed in the comments on this page helps.

http://www.aftvnews.com/some-apps-like-k...fire-os-5/
(2016-04-14, 17:32)joethepartylion Wrote: Looks like it may be a known issue. I'm not sure if anything listed in the comments on this page helps.

http://www.aftvnews.com/some-apps-like-k...fire-os-5/

I'm not sure this is the cause:
1) I've successfully moved part of my kodi to an external USB drive (my thumbnails), and
2) one of the comments says this was fixed with Kodi Jarvis.
Joetheparylion, are you the author of Amber?
(2016-04-14, 17:49)rcrh Wrote: Joetheparylion, are you the author of Amber?

Not the author but I've helped update it for the last few Kodi releases.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
setting changes are not retained0