• 102(current)
v17 LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 17.0)
Nice! Though the downside now you have described is about monitor users. Wouldn't an additional step in setup wizard (where you set hostname and something else I can't remember now) make things a little better where user could select their display device: monitor or TV. And this settings would set limited off/on according to selected option.
Thanks Milhouse and fritsch for getting that patch in there! Smile
AppleTV 4K, LG 65E6 OLED TV, Marantz NR1606, Harmony Elite
(2016-08-11, 12:27)scf2k Wrote: Nice! Though the downside now you have described is about monitor users. Wouldn't an additional step in setup wizard (where you set hostname and something else I can't remember now) make things a little better where user could select their display device: monitor or TV. And this settings would set limited off/on according to selected option.

I wonder how many users run LibreELEC on computer monitors? I know I do, but then I'm usually testing it and rarely actually watching it but I would expect that - being an embedded distribution - the vast majority of users are running LibreELEC on dedicated devices connected to TVs. If a computer monitor is being used then the limited range option is now a Standard (was Expert) setting that can be changed in no time at all.

I'm really not sure the limited range setting deserves any greater significance than, say, the number of audio channels which we also don't mention in the first run wizard.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
So the limited range setting will tell Kodi and the Intel driver how to behave? Great work!
(2016-08-11, 12:52)Milhouse Wrote: I wonder how many users run LibreELEC on computer monitors? I know I do, but then I'm usually testing it and rarely actually watching it but I would expect that - being an embedded distribution - the vast majority of users are running LibreELEC on dedicated devices connected to TVs. If a computer monitor is being used then the limited range option is now a Standard (was Expert) setting that can be changed in no time at all.

I'm really not sure the limited range setting deserves any greater significance than, say, the number of audio channels which we also don't mention in the first run wizard.

Both of my TVs (Sony XBR and Samsung F series) were defaulted to full range when I purchased them. I don't think that it is that uncommon.
(2016-08-11, 13:37)n2vwz Wrote: Both of my TVs (Sony XBR and Samsung F series) were defaulted to full range when I purchased them. I don't think that it is that uncommon.

It's not as simple as that with my Samsung F6100. With the Intel driver in its default automatic mode and the TV input tagged as "PC" it depends on whether it is a CEA mode or not.

Booting a desktop linux with 60Hz the HDMI link is in sRGB mode and the desktop looks normal. Changing to 50Hz with xrandr or Kodi sets the HDMI to BroadcastRGB and the desktop looks a bit odd, but the video image is good. The only defect is that 59.9Hz is sRGB when it should be BroadcastRGB according to the HDMI standard.

If the TV input is tagged as "STB" the connection is always BroadcastRGB.

With the passthrough driver mode active, it is quite broken in 60Hz "PC" mode because the driver forces BroadcastRGB when the TV and HDMI standard require sRGB. I expect that is why the Intel developers are not interested in the passthough patch.

Passthrough should only be active when both the source and destination require BroadcastRGB
No matter. With the mode we set, colors are completely untouched while only using kodi's code to scale the values.

In short: if you have a full range monitor attached, that ignores the limited infoframe, just disable "Use Limited Range" from kodi - that's all.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-08-11, 13:58)LateAdopter Wrote:
(2016-08-11, 13:37)n2vwz Wrote: Both of my TVs (Sony XBR and Samsung F series) were defaulted to full range when I purchased them. I don't think that it is that uncommon.

It's not as simple as that with my Samsung F6100. With the Intel driver in its default automatic mode and the TV input tagged as "PC" it depends on whether it is a CEA mode or not.

Booting a desktop linux with 60Hz the HDMI link is in sRGB mode and the desktop looks normal. Changing to 50Hz with xrandr or Kodi sets the HDMI to BroadcastRGB and the desktop looks a bit odd, but the video image is good. The only defect is that 59.9Hz is sRGB when it should be BroadcastRGB according to the HDMI standard.

With the pass-through driver mode active, it is quite broken in 60Hz "PC" mode because the driver forces BroadcastRGB when the TV and HDMI standard require sRGB. I expect that is why the Intel developers are not interested in the passthough patch.

Passthrough should only be active when both the source and destination require BroadcastRGB

I had problems with pass-thru driver mode as well. With some media, I noticed that small black bars would appear at the top and bottom of the screen when the pass-thru switch occurred. I think that the TV was padding extra black lines at top and bottom when the video switched to a lower frame rate from pass-thru. The media was 1920 x 1080, so there shouldn't have been any change in aspect ratio. I ended up turning the pass-thru feature off.
Deleted ...
I'll open a thread after some further investigations.
(2016-08-11, 15:56)n2vwz Wrote:
(2016-08-11, 13:58)LateAdopter Wrote:

With the pass-through driver mode active, it is quite broken in 60Hz "PC" mode because the driver forces BroadcastRGB when the TV and HDMI standard require sRGB. I expect that is why the Intel developers are not interested in the passthough patch.

I had problems with pass-thru driver mode as well. With some media, I noticed that small black bars would appear at the top and bottom of the screen when the pass-thru switch occurred. I think that the TV was padding extra black lines at top and bottom when the video switched to a lower frame rate from pass-thru. The media was 1920 x 1080, so there shouldn't have been any change in aspect ratio. I ended up turning the pass-thru feature off.

@n2vwz: Nope ... not at all, fix your underscan / overscan settings.

@lateadapter: Interesting ... but wrong ... as your TV ignores the infoframe, it does not care at all, so - yes - quite broken in that regard. Never plug a android box on this TV.

"Broadcast RGB" <- such mode does not exist - it's a setting to control the intel driver ... there is only Full Range and Limited Range info frames in the intel driver.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-08-11, 12:31)_Spook_ Wrote: Thanks Milhouse and fritsch for getting that patch in there! Smile

+ 1 !!

...yes, thank you both Blush
::  LibreELEC 9.2.6 RELEASE - Generic x86_64  ::  Intel 847 NUC  ::  KVR1333D3S9/4G  ::  Kingston SMS200S3/30G mSATA  ::  MS 1044 MCE keyboard  ::  GP-IR02BK remote  ::  Xonfluence  ::  10.9TiB on FreeNAS v11.3-U5 (RAID-Z2)  ::
New LibreELEC.tv Krypton build #0811: Generic
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux NUC 4.7.0 #1 SMP Thu Aug 11 21:06:40 BST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# lsb_release
LibreELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20160811210443-#0811-gf808232 [Build #0811]

Based on tip of LibreELEC.tv master (f808232f, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (b7506f99, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. Restore Intel limited range support, with limited range now the default for Intel GPUs
Build Details:
  1. XBMC:
    • player: guiinfo, compare player_process ignoring case (PR:10270, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [EPG] Fix recent notification optimization. (PR:10274, 1 commit, 3 files changed)
  2. peripheral.joystick:
    • [xinput] Move motor definitions to xml file (de29de0c)
  3. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
    • Added: [env] PR:573: kodi/Intel: Various improvements from fritsch
    • Added: [env] PR:621: init: mount per-client boot/disk if available & configured
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Remember to remove all previous Intel limited range-related hacks after installing #0811.
Thanks Fritsch & Milhouse.

Intel Driver support is appreciated.
@Milhouse
Side question: Is it a known issue that MusicOSD seems not to open anymore? (Mouse support disabled) As is barely use Music i just noticed. Hint would be much appreciated before is search for errors on my setup! Smile

Edit: Looks like MusicOSD is gone for me on Windows and LibreELEC... Hmm..

Edit2: Found something https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/10264
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
  • 102(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 17.0)11