XBMC for Linux on Apple TV (formally known as "iTV")
It's actually a little slow. Apple doesn't use the high profile range of MPEG-4 AVC instead keeping it all in main profile, as a result their h.264 videos are lighter on the CPU (And less efficent). The resolution also tops out at 720p. Meanwhile, most of the video encodes online are using high profile and are going up to 1080p these days. There's a reason all those h.264 quick time trailers play fine on the Xbox still even. The Apple TV is a great product, for apple videos. Infact it's a cute idea overall if you ask me. However if you want it for a XBMC-Linux machine, it's kinda light weight, but still it is an Apple machine ment for an Apple task, it's not realy a suitable replacement for the Xbox.
Maybe I would consider if they upgraded Apple TV to 1080p capable technologies in the Apple TV in a later model. But then that would be harder to run linux on. I love that fact that it is so tiny and portable and comes with built-in HDMI, optical-sound out and N wifi. If I get the chance to buy one cheap I'll mess around with it.

If linux can detect and use all of the hardware then shouldn't it work just like any of our home-built linux machines would work?

@ Aresnio. Would you want to do some testing and let us know how it runs (CPU % and framerate) on certain resolutions?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Linux on Apple TV (formally known as "iTV")0