• 78(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
That display is not worth anything at all ...

On my Intel-Rig (Linux) it transmits 12 bit kernel wise, when I look on the TV input, it shows: 12 bits, but - I 100% know that we in kodi only render with 8 bit visuals.

So - if you "feel" to see HDR when the TV shows it would do so, you are dithered ...

First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-04-23, 14:32)fritsch Wrote: That display is not worth anything at all ...

On my Intel-Rig (Linux) it transmits 12 bit kernel wise, when I look on the TV input, it shows: 12 bits, but - I 100% know that we in kodi only render with 8 bit visuals.

So - if you "feel" to see HDR when the TV shows it would do so, you are dithered ...

What you said may be true or may not in this particular case.
People are showing what's on the display info page by using Movies&TV player from Win10 before and after creator update.

We are trying to find out if Asrock J3455/4205(as NUC kit using the same megachip solution to HDMI ouput) has HDR capability.
I only bought it into kodi's context.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Kodi on Android can do HDR so there is a way to force Kodi to use different render method. Unless they done something not possible outside of android.
@Nekromantik: If I understand that correctly, the Kodi on Android uses Surface rendering (MediaCodec). Basically video you are seeing is played by Android's internal video player and Kodi only displays OSD controls on top of that. So Kodi on Android does not touch the video in any way. That's why HDR is possible there.
(2017-04-23, 20:18)MarhyCZ Wrote: @Nekromantik: If I understand that correctly, the Kodi on Android uses Surface rendering (MediaCodec). Basically video you are seeing is played by Android's internal video player and Kodi only displays OSD controls on top of that. So Kodi on Android does not touch the video in any way. That's why HDR is possible there.

could something similar be done on windows?
(2017-04-21, 12:30)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: What is the disadvantage of using the DVI output for audio pass-thru only? Just buy one of those Asrock ITX boards and use the DVI out for audio. Cannot understand why is it so much focus on the HDMI output and audio pass-thru when there is very simple solution by using the DVI for audio only instead. Use the HDMI for video and DVI for audio, works like a charm for all formats ...

Is this even possible?
This is exactly what I was looking for in a HTPC. Something like the dual outputs from a stand alone player. One for video at HDMI 2.0b and one for audio at HDMI 1.4 with no video or video downconverted to 1080 or 720.

How would KODI handle this?

The reason for this is my projector is 4K HDMI 2.0b HDR capable but my processor is only HDMI 1.4 at 1080P max.

I've been reading this board as a long time lurker and this is my first post Big Grin
It's fully possible on Asrock J4205-ITX, this is what i use and others have reported of same working setup as well. My receiver has only HDMI 1.4 and i use the DVI to HDMI output to the receiver for audio. HDMI 2.0 is directly connected to the TV. I have not seen any sync or other issues but i don't use the receiver often ...
Try to search thru this tread some months ago, i think my first report is from late December ...
Indeed. And I got the Asrock J4205-ITX after Dr.Feelgood confirmed it and I use it in the same scenario. These Asrock ITX boards are to my best knowledge the only Apollo Lake devices that support such scenario with two digital video outputs. Intel NUCs only have one digital video output afaik.

Btw this scenario works both in Windows 10 and in LibreELEC. I tested both.
Thank You Dr.Feelgood and Viper.
Now I have some research to do so I can build myself one.

Is there a Kabby lake version that will do the same dual outs?

How is this handled in KODI? How do you tell the board to output video to HDMI and audio through DVI?
(2017-04-24, 20:58)SkylineEX-S Wrote: Thank You Dr.Feelgood and Viper.

How is this handled in KODI? How do you tell the board to output video to HDMI and audio through DVI?

With Libreelec you can actually just choose which video/audio source you want to use with either output right in the system settings.
(2017-04-24, 21:23)raidflex Wrote:
(2017-04-24, 20:58)SkylineEX-S Wrote: Thank You Dr.Feelgood and Viper.

With Libreelec you can actually just choose which video/audio source you want to use with either output right in the system settings.

same on winodws
http://qdms.intel.com/dm/i.aspx/CA589152...449-00.pdf

Quote:The Intel® NUC Kit SKUs listed in the products affected table will have the following changes:

1. The BIOS will be updated: To access the release notes or get a copy of the BIOS for evaluation,go to http://downloadcenter.intel.com.

• Change BIOS version from AYAPLCEL.86.0027 to 0038(BOXNUC6CAYSAJR/BOXNUC6CAYSAJ)

• Change BIOS version from AYAPLCEL.86.0029 to 0038(BOXNUC6CAYH/BOXNUC6CAYHL)

2. The HDMI Firmware will be updated to improve display quality. EC version from V1.60 to V1.66

That makes life easier for Apollo Lake NUC buyers that want to use on Linux, no need to install Win10 to flash to HDMI firmware 1.66.
(2017-04-21, 12:30)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: What is the disadvantage of using the DVI output for audio pass-thru only? Just buy one of those Asrock ITX boards and use the DVI out for audio. Cannot understand why is it so much focus on the HDMI output and audio pass-thru when there is very simple solution by using the DVI for audio only instead. Use the HDMI for video and DVI for audio, works like a charm for all formats ...
You cannot use an AVR as centralized audio&video switch which should be the most common scenario for most users and is especially important for users with TV and projector.
(2017-04-27, 15:58)mule1 Wrote:
You cannot use an AVR as centralized audio&video switch which should be the most common scenario for most users and is especially important for users with TV and projector.
How about if you connect both DVI and HDMI to the receiver? You passthru video as normal and chose other input for playing audio? You just choose what audio output to use for audio passthru in Kodi/LE.
  • 78(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9