• 1(current)
[REQUEST] BBC iPlayer (Video) Plugin or Script?
Lightbulb 
Has anyone got this working yet Wink
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6245062.stm
Interesting... are there any p2p TV programs that carry BBC normally ? I have found out that tvuplayer carries France 24, but I yet have to find BBC...
I've been trialling it. It doesn't stream, it downloads the episodes.
Primary Xbox: 1.1, X-Chip, 120Gb H/D
Secondary Xbox: 1.6, Smart-XX Chip, 10Gb H/D
Connected to Apple Mac running as Media Server/Apple TV
Are the downloaded items in a standard format that can be played back on XBMC? I'm guessing they'll have some kind of DRM to control playback Sad
BBC's iPlayer uses Micro$oft DRM, and they are only releasing a windows version of the player first, just like 4OD

pile of crap
Rainbow 
Hey everyone,

I'm emailing to suggest that, as soon as possible the community pulls it's great minds and resources together to attempt to produce a BBC iPlayer script.

BBC iPlayer is currently available on a beta testing basis on sign up but should go completely live soon.

The idea is basically that tv shows should be available for a month or two after airing in high quality, online.

I think the official program uses a system similar to bittorrent to make things work. I'm not sure whether this is technologically possible but if it is what are the odds we can make it happen?

TheBoxMan.
afaik this is WMV and DRM is also in play. this means it's impossible to support it on a non Windows platform (due to DRM), there's been alot of talk about this in UK media lately hasn't there ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Anyone here have Virgin Media? It might be worth noting that the BBC are planning to launch the iPlayer on cable soon in the UK, kind of like the existing VideoOnDemand service.
Obviously this doesnt suit everyone though....
Although it's windows only at the moment, this is set to change in the not too distant future, as the BBC are aiming to make it "platform agnostic". There are versions coming which should be available to mac/linux users, and even mobile devices, so there is hope for xbmc yet!! Big Grin

I'm sure I also read somewhere about Xbox Live being considered as a platform when Microsoft launches it on demand service in the UK sometime soon, but could just be wishful thinking!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting...ostic.html

Chris
christo182 Wrote:There are versions coming which should be available to mac/linux users, and even mobile devices, so there is hope for xbmc yet!!
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting...ostic.html

Chris

I don't see linux mentioned anywhere, and trust me, if it's DRM, it wont happen. certainly not in a way that we can use it
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I live in the UK and im also on Virgin Media but tbh my xbox is for media not for live material. Im happy either way Smile
Wink Didn't realise it wasn't in that link! If we're being picky...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/25/...ux_macosx/

Quote:Officials reiterated that the BBC Trust is fully committed to users of both the Linux and Mac operating systems having full use of the BBC iPlayer.

Quote:It was a condition of approval for the BBC's on-demand services that platform neutrality be achieved within a reasonable period."

Here's Hoping! Nod

Chris
It would only work for UK users also as it's only for people in the UK who PAY thier license fee and want to watch a program that they missed.
Rainbow 
navanman Wrote:It would only work for UK users also as it's only for people in the UK who PAY their license fee and want to watch a program that they missed.

It would certainly only be legal for those entitled to watch BBC - Which includes some in the states with various sky packages I think -

This is also the case for the BBC and BBCradio scripts and indeed the numerous streaming scripts that use BBC News 24/BBC 1/BBC Parliament and similar.

As for DRM - Firstly they have said, as someone pointed out that they are aiming eventually to make it work on linux. This likely means no DRM.

Even if there is DRM on it several hacks are available these days to strip DRM off the recording with little fuss.

Might require a local network PC to act as a proxy though :-(

Still when it becomes linux compatable I'd be surprised if we can't manage something.
Rainbow 
A number of hacks have been discovered for all DRM versions up until the most recent (I think) for stripping the DRM off the file.

Of course we would not want to be enabling piracy by doing this. Simply enabling compatibility. Users would be responsible for insuring that they only used the files in a manner compatible with the terms and conditions....
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] BBC iPlayer (Video) Plugin or Script?7